Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Jumped or Jamp?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

i would say jumped but thats just me

I never heard jamp til i lived in Caithness but its in common use there.. My eldest lad says jamp all the time is it a dialect thing?

Must be a dialect thing, its not even in the Dictionary of Scots words
    http://www.dsl.ac.uk/dsl/
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Unhappy Jumped....

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    I never heard jamp til i lived in Caithness but its in common use there.. My eldest lad says jamp all the time is it a dialect thing?
    Same here, I am always correcting their grammar. They hate it but that is just tough. Is grammar ignored in school these days as well as spelling?

Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

Blackpool today..... who knows where tomorrow!

Golach, there's mention of it here, in the comments section....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northwest...research.shtml
    I wish I'd picked more daisies.........(anon)

I never heard jamp until I moved to Caithness and even then it was only in the younger generation so I don't think it is a dialect thing but more of you young person's slang.
    On a similar note does anyone else feel like pulling their hair out when they hear someone say "he learned me how to do that"?
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell people everything you know

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    I never heard jamp until I moved to Caithness and even then it was only in the younger generation so I don't think it is a dialect thing but more of you young person's slang.
    On a similar note does anyone else feel like pulling their hair out when they hear someone say "he learned me how to do that"?
    Tristan,
    I correct peoples grammar all the time, apart from slang, which I'm terribly guilty of myself!

My pet hate is when Nikki talks about Christee-uns... Oh, I ALWAYS correct her with , No, it's Chrischyuns!
    Tsk!

I would agree that it must be "dialect slang".

What's even worse, Tristan, is when you hear someone say "he teached me how to do that"

I thought it was just me. Another one that drives me mad is, an Americanism - he dove into the water. No he didn't he dived into it.
    Or is it just me.
    Two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe.

Einstein

I never heard the "word" jamp until I moved to Caithness. My son picked it up at school and it's ingrained in him now.

Default Taught

I HATE THAT....I was taught therefore I learned....a family member says it and I have found myself gritting my teeth...
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

Good grammar? Good spelling? It all depends on who the audience is. Or who it is intended for.

karia Guest

Ah semantics!

Last week I jumped into the river!

This week I thought 'I will jamp again'

Both times,..I got WET!

Karia

I hate this new one that seems to have popped up in the last couple of years, originating with the African-Americans I think.
    "He's Disrespectin me"
    Ahhh, disrespect is not a verb!!!!!!!
    She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. Mark Twain

I stand corrected 'dove ' is in the dictionary. It does say mostly US though and it is still 'dived' in my house!

Thanks Betty
    Two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe.

Einstein

Haha... Proper English = definitely Jumped!

But dialect.... Jamp is used in North Wales, so maybe it's migrating across!

And Erli... psst... don't go buying a dictionary, you have the biggest one in the world at your fingertips right now!

Julie