Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Tesco

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    I doubt very much that the building of the new Tesco Store in Thurso will make much difference at all.

The reason I say this is that we already have Tesco in Thurso and when the new Store is Built the old one will close. The new Store will be bigger but not by much. The only real difference will be the Fuel Pumps and that will effect the other Petrol Stations in Thurso.

As to buying clothes, well people who want to buy from Tesco just go through to Wick and these people will now be able to buy some of what they want in the new Store.

So I do not think the new store will make that much of an inpact on the way we shop in Thurso, just will make it easier for some people that is all. People like me as the new Store will only be a short walk away.
    I agree, I shop where I like and I like where I shop! I do lots of general shopping in local shops, but where they cannot cater my needs, I will go to Tesco.

As someone has previously said on another post, many of the local shops still shut at lunch which is ridiculous in this day and age. So when most of the working masses, who can spend their hard earned cash, are able to go for a browse around the shops, they're shut!!!!

The clothes shops in the county haven't catered for anyone above the age of 13 and a size 12 within living memory and the mens clothes depts may as well be non-existent. I used to buy clothes in the town when I was younger but there's barely anything between 13 and 65 in the towns to choose from, so I and many people are forced to do clothes shopping in Inverness or online.

So yes, I'll be very happy when there's an affordable and realistic alternative, in Thurso, to buying clothes from local retailers!

Default New Tesco

[QUOTE=pentlander; Before you post such ignorant drivel maybe it would be a good idea to know some of the facts about petrol retailing. Tescos of course is a public service and would not dream of tying to make profit out of it's customers.

Whilst I despair at the price we pay for fuel can people please stop this crap about the local stations. Instead turn your anger towards the government whose tax increases have forced up the price.
    Tell me concerned resident what do you do for a living and would you do it for less?[/QUOTE]

I live on the Thurso side and our prices are usually more than the Wick side, and its been like that for some years, and i admit that the government are also to blame, but i also believe the garages in Thurso have been ripping us off as well, i am sorry if you own a garage or or your relations, as you seam to take my remarks very pesonally. i have had to take a reduction in my living exspenses because i have been haveing to pay an extra surcharge on my petrol prices in Thurso.

I cant see them getting stock up by rail, the stock policy is a 'Just in time' one, meaning they buy some more in just in time before it runs out. Can't see them waiting for a train.

Quote Originally Posted by robglysen View Post
    I cant see them getting stock up by rail, the stock policy is a 'Just in time' one, meaning they buy some more in just in time before it runs out. Can't see them waiting for a train.
    ..which usually turns out to be 'Just too late'.......

Default Posts Removed From This Thread

A couple of posts have been removed. A post making a personal attack and subsequently quoted by another poster.

Personal attacks and name calling will usually be regarded as offensive whether the people concerned are named or not as it is often possible to identify from the comment or description used.

Whilst we do not wish to stifle debate derogatory comments will often give rise to complaints to us and as we have no information on the particular topics we will usually remove the items compained about.

Forum users should always think carefully before posting comments attacking individuals or businesses as there could be the possibility of legal action which even if the case is lost could prove expensive in legal costs.
    Last edited by Bill Fernie; 28-May-10 at 21:51.

Could Thurso or Wick become a 'Tesco town'? Or is it already halfway there?

Here's this courtesy of Sky.com

--------------------------------------------------
    Tesco is helping to build homes as part of a unique tie-up with local councils.

Most recently, the supermarket has bought up land in two very different areas - Bromley-by-Bow, a run-down part of east London, close to the Olympic site, and Seaton, Devon, a sleepy seaside town with a population of around 7,500.

While the grocery chain applies for planning permission for a giant store, it is also offering the councils enough land to build what some are describing as "Tesco towns".

If planning permission is given for the east London site, for example, there will be 450 flats, a primary school, a library, shops and a hotel, as well as the new store.

The project will be handled by the London Gateway Development Corporation. "Tesco's is enabling other things to happen...they're making the residential land available," said LTGDC's Steve Oakes.

Similarly, the grocery group has bought up a large area of derelict land in Seaton where there are plans to build homes, a shop and leisure facilties.

"Millions of pounds are being invested in a new supermarket and housing developments, a Jurassic Coast Interpretation Centre, new Tourist Information Centre and Wetlands Nature Reserve," said an East Devon District Council spokesman.

"The aim is to capitalise on the town's outstanding natural surroundings, viewable on foot, by bike, or from the unique Seaton Tramway."

But Seaton's mayor, Sandra Semple, is against the project.

"Seaton's an old-fashioned town on a gorgeous bay, with nothing but individual shops, and no chainstores. Every other store is an individual trader," she says.

Home building has fallen as the recession hits local councils

"This town has been sold to Tesco. We are not at the moment a 'Tesco Town', but this will make us one. We've lost our individuality, our identity - the very things that make this place special."

The Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment (Cabe), the Government's adviser on architecture and design, is also unhappy.

"Retailers don't just want to build a new supermarket nowadays," says Sir John Sorrell, outgoing chairman of Cabe. "They want to redevelop town centres, with housing and shopping streets," he warned last year.

"Our concern is not only the quality of this kind of development - which is generally very poor - but the way in which architecture and places are created in the image of the retailer."
    ---------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fernie View Post
    A couple of posts have been removed. A post making a personal attack and subsequently quoted by another poster.

Personal attacks and name calling will usually be regarded as offensive whether the people concerned are named or not as it is often possible to identify from the comment or description used.

Whilst we do not wish to stifle debate derogatory comments will often give rise to complaints to us and as we have no information on the particular topics we will usually remove the items compained about.

Forum users should always think carefully before posting comments attacking individuals or businesses as there could be the possibility of legal action which even if the case is lost cold prove expensive in legal costs.
    I missed the fuss here and understand fully why certain posts may have been removed.I appreciate that the .org Moderators & Admin people can not scan every post but they seem to miss some right beezers, or they consider that on some occasions it is acceptable to seriously malign others .orgers and even offer to "dish the dirt" on them by private message to anyone interested.
    I have no doubt that many orgers have seen these posts which I find abhorrent and may even have complained about them, in any event these posts have not been removed or modified.

In view of my past history this post will probably result in sine die banishment from the .org, that being the case I can live with it, as the .org can live without me.

Don't know what is wrong with Highland council by allowing Tesco to dominate as competition is healthy and benefits the customer. Lets suppose the Tesco stores push out the local retailers as suggested and then Tesco decide they are too big and decide to do a little cutback. If one or more of the stores are cut then what then? Even less choice I would imagine. So perhaps it would have been a better idea to have another chain like Asda after all. I do feel their was some underhandedness involved in the mart site by Tesco and the land owner as Asda should have been given the option before Tesco. Regarding the fuel prices well their is a difference between Thurso and Wick as a result of Tesco competition and that is obvious. Now that Tesco is starting to build then watch the prices start to level out in the local forecourts before the completion as they did in Wick.

Quote Originally Posted by davie View Post
    I missed the fuss here and understand fully why certain posts may have been removed.I appreciate that the .org Moderators & Admin people can not scan every post but they seem to miss some right beezers, or they consider that on some occasions it is acceptable to seriously malign others .orgers and even offer to "dish the dirt" on them by private message to anyone interested.
    I have no doubt that many orgers have seen these posts which I find abhorrent and may even have complained about them, in any event these posts have not been removed or modified.

In view of my past history this post will probably result in sine die banishment from the .org, that being the case I can live with it, as the .org can live without me.
    Bye davie.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned resident View Post
    I live on the Thurso side and our prices are usually more than the Wick side, and its been like that for some years, and i admit that the government are also to blame, but i also believe the garages in Thurso have been ripping us off as well, i am sorry if you own a garage or or your relations, as you seam to take my remarks very pesonally. i have had to take a reduction in my living exspenses because i have been haveing to pay an extra surcharge on my petrol prices in Thurso.
    I too live in Thurso and no I am not a garage owner or related in anyway to a garage owner. I also have to pay for my fuel.
    What I do understand is the economics of supply and demand. Just because the price is different in Wick does not mean Thurso garages are ripping anyone off. It is the market price.
    Now when Tescos comes along with there ability to sell fuel at cost if they so desire the garages will have no choice but to try and compete, that is the market. I know one of the garages is up for sale and will most likely be not a fuel station any longer and others will follow.
    There will then be no competion for Tescos and they will charge what they like. I wonder if the 'blood suckers' label will be applied to them.
    Business has to make a profit. For some people profit is a dirty word.

Time will tell Tesco will be short lived in Thurso when the decline of Dounreay really happens, Preffer Coop as they use local produce and down to earth people go there and the staff seem happy as Tesco is not the same? Local butchers and bakers are the best supermarkets do not compare and not forgetting J A Mackays for the booze and other local food stuffs.

Tesco's motive is to extract as much profit as the market will allow it to.

Its decision to develop the mart site probably is one of two things:

a) an aggressive move to increase its market share

b) a defensive move to exclude a competitor from the market, e.g. Asda.

In the short-term, consumers may believe they are getting more choice and value.

That is true so long as Tesco has competition.

Local retailers cannot compete with the global buying power of Tesco, so are likely to wither unless they find a niche market.

Tesco's prices and profit margins will rise in proportion to the elimination of its competition.

There is plenty evidence from elsewhere os just how ruthless and single-minded Tesco is towards elimination of its competition.

So be careful what you wish for when you widen the door of the hen house and let the fox in.

I think Tesco's new store will be an amazing advancement for Thurso. Not only will we be able to provide everyone with even more product choice, we will also have less products out of stock and fuller shelves due to a bigger warehouse (which we are currently struggling with since the takeover from Somerfields). And because Tesco are doing a new build it means the old site will be for sale to make way for another business to make their entrance in the town.

Matthew / Stock Control Assistant, Tesco Thurso

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    I think Tesco's new store will be an amazing advancement for Thurso. Not only will we be able to provide everyone with even more product choice, we will also have less products out of stock and fuller shelves due to a bigger warehouse (which we are currently struggling with since the takeover from Somerfields). And because Tesco are doing a new build it means the old site will be for sale to make way for another business to make their entrance in the town.

Matthew, I hate to say it but you are simply spouting company drivel.

Tesco effectively have a monopolistic position in Caithness, and a "better" Tesco in Thurso simply exacerbates that.

What is needed is some serious competition from another large supermarket such as would have been provided had Asda been successful with their plans. As it is everyone is the county will pay the price of the councils foolhardy decision for the next generation.
    The box said, "Requires Windows XP or better"...

... so I installed Ubuntu!

If I see your competitor's sign appearing on your old site, I might believe you're as interested in the wellbeing of your customers as you are in the profits of your shareholders.

Quote Originally Posted by NickInTheNorth View Post
    Matthew, I hate to say it but you are simply spouting company drivel.

Tesco effectively have a monopolistic position in Caithness, and a "better" Tesco in Thurso simply exacerbates that.

What is needed is some serious competition from another large supermarket such as would have been provided had Asda been successful with their plans. As it is everyone is the county will pay the price of the councils foolhardy decision for the next generation.
    Well ASDA will have an opportunity to make their mark in Thurso when the old shop goes up for sale wont they??? :S - As already stated in my last post.

Well ASDA will have an opportunity to make their mark in Thurso when the old shop goes up for sale wont they??? :S - As already stated in my last post.
    Not necessarily - Tesco could refuse to sell it to a food retailer.

Quote Originally Posted by cazmanian_minx View Post
    Not necessarily - Tesco could refuse to sell it to a food retailer.
    If you look at Tesco's record elsewhere, they "bank" land purposefully to deny their competitors land to develop.

I'd be astonished, given Tesco's record, if this site is sold to a business that will compete with their new store.

That is an extremely naive post. Look out for a dobbies or some other Tesco owned company to spring up.

Who wrote your script Matthew?
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast