Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Question about Linux

Default Question about Linux

I have a desktop pc which runs Windows 10 ok, but can't be upgraded to Windows 11. Unless it suffers major component breakdown, I don't want to throw it out (for environmental reasons etc) when support for Windows 10 runs out. I just use the pc do a bit of web surfing, occasionally write documents and make simple spreadsheets and sometimes use Zoom. I was wondering if a form of Linux would run on the pc, if so can a Linux pc have a number of different profiles on it (for use by different users etc) like Windows 10 does? Am I correct in thinking that there are Office type applications to allow document and spreadsheet use. Also aspects such as connection to a printer and also security things like anti virus software - are these straight forward, please?

There are workarounds, just google it.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

as long as you've a good anti virus/trojan/hacking program like 360 total security, there is no reason why, just like all old PC's running winxp to win (whatever) you cannot still use it.
    its a very common marketing ploy by MS to do this.

the fact they wont 'support' the OS no longer in reality means nothing.
    i've got numerous PC's dating back to even windows 311 even windows 2 that still work fine even when they have internet connected.

dx
    Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs