Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should we bring back the wolf

caithness where else would you want to be??

Default Should we bring back the wolf

Should this once native beautiful animal re introduced to scotland. Fearfull of humans and seldom known to take domestic cattle modern proof shows the ballance of nature to be far better where wolves have been brought back to areas where they were hunted out.

IMHO farmers and land owners are the people to make this decision - not some townie weekend tree hugger with a penchant for saving the planet. (Before you take offence I'm not insinuating that you are a townie weekend tree hugger!) . Despite what the government and numerous quangos think it’s the farmers and land owners who are the managers of our countryside and apart from the occasional nudge they should be left to get on with it. They’ve not done too badly so far.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

I am not for it. They will predate livestock, as they do elsewhere. I have camped out in a few areas with them and they make it a spooky experience. I love them but I am against the reintroduction in Scotland.

This is being argued on the basis it would add balance?

small fishing village outside wick called pulteney

yeah bring back wild dogs and let them roam freely thoughout this fine land, who cares if they take out the odd sheep here of there,
    if it wasnt for pubs it would be tescos for us all

Not a good idea, for the reason outlined by other posters.

The 'natural' terrain of the wolf has changed massively. It is now open to livestock which wolves will target given the opportunity. I heard talk about 'compensation' being given to sheep men for any stock taken.
    The fact that many of these people has spent years building up these flocks is totally lost upon anyone who thinks that bunging someone a few quid will make things acceptable.

I like wolves, fantastic creatures. But we have to be pragmatic about reintroducing them.

Bears, anyone?

I think we should bring them back, the odd lamb getting eaten isn't a bad thing. Wolves are higher up the food chain.

Plus, they make cool whiney noises.

I like them both and would love to see them both introduced, shame it will never happen tho. Just imagine a few bears sitting at the salmon pool, lord thurso would love that .

On that note, wasn't there a wealthy bloke trying to use a huge area of land (that he inherited in the highlands ?) to do something similar, bringing back all the species that have gone missing for one reason or another.?

To lazy to google it
    STAY IN TUNE

with the amount of deer we have here... the wolves would more likley ignore the cattle. taking out the sick and weak if any.
    http://itqueries.com/

Quote Originally Posted by M R View Post
    I like them both and would love to see them both introduced, shame it will never happen tho. Just imagine a few bears sitting at the salmon pool, lord thurso would love that .

On that note, wasn't there a wealthy bloke trying to use a huge area of land (that he inherited in the highlands ?) to do something similar, bringing back all the species that have gone missing for one reason or another.?

To lazy to google it
    Yup, an estate out West. He's got wolves already, I believe. Although they're fenced IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by brandy View Post
    with the amount of deer we have here... the wolves would more likley ignore the cattle. taking out the sick and weak if any.
    I think that's part of the reasoning behind why introducing them could be a good thing. But we'd have to make our minds up wether we want sheep or wolves in an area....you can't realistically have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post
    I am not for it. They will predate livestock, as they do elsewhere. I have camped out in a few areas with them and they make it a spooky experience. I love them but I am against the reintroduction in Scotland.

This is being argued on the basis it would add balance?
    They don't predate livestock as a preference.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

Why introduce another species to be abused and exploited?

Personally I would love to see the return of Wolves to any part of the UK that was deemed able to withstand them with as little impact as possible on the area.

We have to remember that Wolves were not wiped out from the UK by some natural disaster or some inability to survive.
    In England they were hunted with dogs and horses and wiped out by the 1500's and Scotland killed its last wolf by sometime in the 1700's.

It would be ignorant of me to suggest that there would be no threat to livestock but mainly I think it would be the weak and ailing that would be targeted.
    Should the fact that a few livestock may be taken be the reason that the wolf is not reintroduced? Not in my opinion. Maybe my opinion would be different if my livelihood depended on those livestock but hey ho it doesn't.

Paul Lister has the right idea and personally I think reintroducing them his way would be a great step forward and would help educate people in a more efficient way.

On a more negative side:
    As to why the Wolf should be reintroduced, well that's something else. Would there be any real benefit into them being here again? Do we need to reintroduce a species that we once felt the need to wipe out - and we did deliberately wipe this species out.
    What exactly are we assuming that they will feast on? And how long will our deer species last if the Wolf is back? I mean we may have plague proportions of them now but how long would it take for that to change and the Wolf to be forced into seeking food elsewhere? Or are we considering the introduction of other species that would be conducive to the Wolf surviving?
    Lots of questions that need answering me thinks.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    IMHO farmers and land owners are the people to make this decision - not some townie weekend tree hugger with a penchant for saving the planet. (Before you take offence I'm not insinuating that you are a townie weekend tree hugger!) . Despite what the government and numerous quangos think it’s the farmers and land owners who are the managers of our countryside and apart from the occasional nudge they should be left to get on with it. They’ve not done too badly so far.
    your right not a tree hugger from the city just someone who has a keen interest in these animals and who has spent many years in doing research as a hobby into this very thing !

Quote Originally Posted by ss.sv650 View Post
    your right not a tree hugger from the city just someone who has a keen interest in these animals and who has spent many years in doing research as a hobby into this very thing !
    You have my respect. If your extensive research shows that reintroduction is practical and farmers and landowners are in agreement then I would support it. However I'm very much against the diktat of a faceless goon in Westminster or Holyrood who makes their decision based upon the flimsiest of evidence.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by _Ju_ View Post
    They don't predate livestock as a preference.
    The will take whatever they can get. Period.

I have no objection to them in fenced off parks, (who would?), but I see no point at all in reintroduction in general.

What next? Bears?

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post
    The will take whatever they can get. Period.

I have no objection to them in fenced off parks, (who would?), but I see no point at all in reintroduction in general.

What next? Bears?

sorry but in general wolves will stay away from livestock and humans because they have since long learnt that interaction with humans or their live stock will result in their death, they were once resident accross scotland and only wiped out due to human miss understanding, and unfounded fears, the last wolf killed in scotland was infact killed near Helmsdale!

sorry but in general wolves will stay away from livestock and humans because they have since long learnt that interaction with humans or their live stock will result in their death, they were once resident accross scotland and only wiped out due to human miss understanding, and unfounded fears, the last wolf killed in scotland was infact killed near Helmsdale!
    Why sorry?

What you are saying does not contradict what I have said.

No wolf will leave alone a hill sheep because it anticipates retribution from the keeper.

Once again, wolves will kill whatever they can access.

If you intend to argue the case for reintroduction, that is up to you.

I don't hear a convincing one so far.

they were once resident accross scotland and only wiped out due to human miss understanding, and unfounded fears, the last wolf killed in scotland was infact killed near Helmsdale!

What makes you think anything has changed?

The memorial for the last wolf killed in Scotland is in the big layby/parking area near the Loth turnoff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast