Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ethel Austin

Unhappy Could another shop be closing

Latest news from BBC Ethel Austin goes into administration

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8504086.stm

Default Ethel Austin

Clothing retailer Ethel Austin has gone into administration for the second time in two years. The 300-strong chain will continue trading as normal while a new buyer is sought, administrators MCR said.
    But MCR said it could not rule out closures or redundancies as there were "no guarantees" that a buyer could be found in the current economic climate.
    Administrators blamed the move on failure to secure necessary funding, compounded by poor trading in January.
    "There is no doubt in our mind that the onset of the global economic crisis has hit the retail sector particularly hard," said Geoff Bouchier from MCR.
    "As a consequence of this the companies have struggled to secure funders which in turn has impacted their ability to generate sales revenue."
    Ethel Austin's sister firm, homeware retailer Au Naturale, has also gone into administration.
    Ethel Austin, formed more than 70 years ago, is based in Knowsley, Merseyside.
    It first went into administration in 2008, but was bought within a month by the former head of retailer MK One.

Thumbs up

Glad to see you read my post

Default No surprised

Not surpised at all with the news.

Ethal Austin doesnt have great stuff. I couldnt even spend the £5 voucher that they gave you on the opening day because there wasnt anything there worth £5 (although I would have gotten it for free anyhow)!

Shame for the staff though.

Surprising. They have just opened up a new store in Reading, 2 levels with Au Natural. It required a fair bit of refurbishment.

Maybe that's where they spent all their money lol!
    (\__/)
    ( o.O) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (")_(") your signature, to help him gain World Domination.

Quote Originally Posted by scrabster view View Post
    Not surpised at all with the news.

Ethal Austin doesnt have great stuff. I couldnt even spend the £5 voucher that they gave you on the opening day because there wasnt anything there worth £5 (although I would have gotten it for free anyhow)!

Shame for the staff though.
    totally agree with you, i went to try and get tops for my 12 year old and they had nothing except black, nowt fashionable atall, now if your a baby girl you would be fine.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

i dont think there is anything worth buying in that shop not for me but could be for other folk tho.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.ROY'S DEATH BLADE RUNNER 1982

I thought it had some good stuff for the wee kiddies. I got a few bargains on pyjamas and vests for Athrun. Also got a thick outdoor coat for his christmas from my sister which is excellent. So if it shuts down i really will miss it for clothes for the little ones!
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Well I'd have to partly disagree, as I've had some good stuff out of the shop. It's like anywhere really - you have to be selective. I've had some lovely work tops and a few cardis, but on the other hand some of it isn't great. I've had worse stuff that I've paid 10 times as much for.

Just love that shop. Was going to go in today for a browse, but got distracted and decided to go tomorrow..........As they say "never put off until tomorrow what you can do today".

Know a lot of the very helpful staff and hope they get other employment very soon.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Quote Originally Posted by poppett View Post
    Just love that shop. Was going to go in today for a browse, but got distracted and decided to go tomorrow..........As they say "never put off until tomorrow what you can do today".

Know a lot of the very helpful staff and hope they get other employment very soon.
    Still trading Poppet so should be open tomorrow,although for how long is anyones guess.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

mmh...i da think its 'at great. iv only bought a couple o' things as i da think 'e quality is 'at great.
    a cairdigan that only stood one wash before goin all bobbly, anither top that shrunk abit an faded.

quality means everythin, i wid pay extra for quality

staff are always really nice.
    Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
    Blessed Be...

some stuff is ok
    altho they have a poor attitude my mum bought a cardigan, the buttons fell off, she took it back asked for a refund, the manager say no as they cant refund it JUST because the buttons came off! she argued and got a refund eventually, im not suprised there in liquadation
    ELVIS ISN'T DEAD I HEARD HIM ON THE RADIO

I bought a nice jumper in there for my OH last week, it's been through the wash once and has already shrunk! I find the clothes to be of poor quality and not very stylish. The staff are quite nice but everytime i've been in the place it has been practically empty, i'm not suprised it's gone into administration at all! Why can't we ever get a decent shop up here, one that will thrive!
    Last edited by kel24; 08-Feb-10 at 21:08.

Default Shop

Quote Originally Posted by kel24 View Post
    Why can't we ever get a decent shop up here, one that will thrive!
    We have, it's called Tesco.

It was very sad to see Woolworth go, and not just because it had become an iconic part of the high street in every town in Britain, but because it left a depressing looking glat in the high street, plus the loss of employment for many.
    I was thrilled to bits to see a national chain move in as it fitted the location well and did a lot for the overall look of the street.
    At our last orger curry night I ask the question as to whether it would survive because it did not look that busy most of the time, but although I have been in a couple of times for Christmas presents etc, I don't do shopping. Lets hope that they are succesful in finding a suitable buyer and keep the shop going.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    But tesco are poop for wee boys clothes. They have very little to choose from. Go round the isle to the girls section and there is loads. Its really quite annoying

No wonder we have to turn to the Internet for so much nowadays, we have little to choose from.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Well I'm gutted! The staff are lovely and I got 2 jumpers and a pair of slippers for a tenner last week! Mind, I don't expect they'll last long, as the quality of the stuff isn't great - but I get bored of clothes anyway!

What's the alternative.. another empty boarded up shopfront - how depressing.

Default Tesco

Quote Originally Posted by ShelleyBain View Post
    But tesco are poop for wee boys clothes. They have very little to choose from. Go round the isle to the girls section and there is loads. Its really quite annoying

No wonder we have to turn to the Internet for so much nowadays, we have little to choose from.

I have to confess, Shelly, shopping for kids clothes would be a total mystery to me and its been a long while since my three lads were small.

When they were kids we had a neighbour with two boys of similar age to our three and Mrs M and the neighbour used to get together and make most of there clothes.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

It was very sad to see Woolworth go, and not just because it had become an iconic part of the high street in every town in Britain, but because it left a depressing looking glat in the high street, plus the loss of employment for many.
    I was thrilled to bits to see a national chain move in as it fitted the location well and did a lot for the overall look of the street.
    At our last orger curry night I ask the question as to whether it would survive because it did not look that busy most of the time, but although I have been in a couple of times for Christmas presents etc, I don't do shopping. Lets hope that they are succesful in finding a suitable buyer and keep the shop going.
    Tesco's is great i won't deny it, but it's a supermarket and only wicks store sells clothes, i agree that it was awful seeing the empty shell that used to be woolworths, but something better could have gone it's place, maybe something young people would benefit from??

I have to confess, Shelly, shopping for kids clothes would be a total mystery to me and its been a long while since my three lads were small.

When they were kids we had a neighbour with two boys of similar age to our three and Mrs M and the neighbour used to get together and make most of there clothes.
    Lol well shopping for Athrun is a nightmare. Luckily i got a voucher for the shop "wee ones" in Thurso and went and got him some lovely new jumpers. But i seriously struggle to get jeans or combats to fit the wee fella. Luckily he is still in 6-9 month clothes (he is 16 months old) so he does get the "wear and tear" out of the clothes he has.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast