Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: hamsters nails

Default hamsters nails

does anyone know what i should do about my sons hamsters nails they seem to be very long am not sure if i should cut them or get the vet to do them any ideas z

I would think you'd be safer to get the vet to do it. With such small nails it is very easy to cut through the quick.

Either that or sand them down rather than clip?

Putting a brick in the cage, the type with a dip in it and using it as a feeding dish wears their nails down very well.
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

Default hamster nails

A fine piece of sandpaper in the wheel! Thats what we did and it works well and causes even wear on nails!

thank you all for your replys have have had her wheel out for a while as she hurt her wee leg but will try that first and see how we go x
    never known her nails to get so long maybe it is that stuff liz gave me lol she is looking so healthy just now xxx

I think it would be best for the vet to do it as they are very difficult and can wriggle! A tile or stone in the cage will help keep them down in future
    ~Sarah~
    Owner of 2 greyhounds, 1 Lurcher puppy, 2 cats, 3 rabbits, 3 guinea pig's and a hamster!