Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does money buy you happiness....

Default Does money buy you happiness....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...nd/8445513.stm

29yr old lottery winner found dead.

You should remember the Old Syaing :-

No matter how much Money you have it can not buy you Poverty !!

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

This was probably more to do with the loss of his dad rather than the money.
    I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore

"Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy things that look, feel, smell and taste exactly like happiness."

Cant remember who said that first, might have been Homer Simpson.

Default Money

Money doesnt buy you anything but distractions. The real "money" is value in what you have (i dont mean possessions) and who you are. Money will exaggerate anything that is not working for you, its not the solution to problems. ie if you are unhappy inside then money will enable you to buy lots of distractions like possessions, drink etc but it will not solve the "problems" inside of you.

In the case of the millionaire who was found dead, money became his nightmare, further isolating and trapping him with how he felt inside.......

K
    Last edited by onecalledk; 08-Jan-10 at 15:50.

I have never understood why lotteries don't give more smaller prizes. I'm sure most people who are not used to lots of money would be much happer with, say, half a million than several million. They would attract less attention but have enough to help their families, give themselves security but still need to work and live a normal life. It would also mean far more prizewinners so less newsworthy.

It obviously made this young man miserable - how sad.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Very sad news.....!! some folk just cann't cope they probably thought it wouldn't happen to them, to even win never mind what to do after they spent some of it !
    Last edited by froal; 08-Jan-10 at 17:45.

Winning the lottery dont scare me, others may have reservations but i am quite willing to give it a go to find out.....bring it on!!!
    dafsorkneybirding.blogspot.com

Default Lost Out

My mam used to say, "you never know how well off you are until you have lost it", unfortunately for this young man, it came too late to realise that an ordinary existence is usually all we need to achieve happiness.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Quote Originally Posted by dafi View Post
    Winning the lottery dont scare me, others may have reservations but i am quite willing to give it a go to find out.....bring it on!!!
    Same as you on this one dafi, try anything once. If I didnt like it I wouldnt buy any more lottery tickets after Id spent it all.

My Dad would say money doesnt buy you happiness but you could be miserable in comfort!

Lots of money doesn't make you happy but lack of it certainly can make you unhappy!

I agree with Badger in that huge lottery wins of millions are stupid and there should be an upper limit.

So sad about this poor young man.

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I have never understood why lotteries don't give more smaller prizes.
    It's because lotteries have found people buy more tickets if the prize money is bigger. Our State lottery in California added a number to the string for that very reason. A typical twice-a-week drawing generates about $7 million, but it often rolls over to 30+. That generates what they call the "Nevada effect" which means people from other states drive over the border to buy tickets (which finance our schools).

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Lots of money doesn't make you happy but lack of it certainly can make you unhappy!
    Agree with you on that 1 Liz 100%
    STAY IN TUNE

If he didn't want to leave the house then he should've given all his money to me and I'd of gladly done his shopping for him.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Default Lottery

I bet the person who didn't get this winning ticket is feeling a bit grumpy just now.

Man nets £80m after lottery foul up
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dafi View Post
    I'd have a go too.

Dont usually buy a lottery ticket but if its a double rollover or somethimg the oh insists we get one. As if half a millions not worth winning.... Women eh.....

Sometimes money can help to cheer you up but not necessarily make you happy. I would not mind my mortgage paid off but that is it really.

"Whoever said money can't buy happiness isn't spending it right." Can't remember where I heard that, but I like it.
    I shall be telling this with a sigh, somewhere ages and ages hence. Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast