Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Veg box scheme

Thumbs up Veg box scheme

I was looking for a local vegetable box scheme but couldn't find any in Caithness. This seems to be the closest one:

http://www.macleodorganics.com/

I contacted them to see if they would consider delivering to Caithness. I got a very friendly reply that they would maybe consider it in the future if there would be enough interest.

So my question is, is anyone else interested?

All vegetables are organic and most are local (Highlands or rest of Scotland).

Although I usually don't buy organic in the supermarkets as I find it too expensive, and the produce often comes from far away, I really love the idea of veg boxes! I think prices are very reasonable as well.

Macleod replied to me that "they would need at least 20 boxes/interested customers to make adelivery run worth looking at, although delivering a few boxes to,and collecting from, a central point via a courier may be a more cost effective option." and "At the moment, Morven (who has a farm above Alness) delivers our boxes asfar as Tain. She will be looking at the possibility of delivering further in the New Year"

A courier to our/your home for a single box would be £5-6, but I find that too expensive to pay regularly.
    If there is more interest maybe we could arrange a pick up point in Caithness where everyone could collect their box?

So please pm me if you are interested. Please include your location, and whether or not you could travel regularly to Wick or another town/village to pick up a box.

Macleod can also supply potatoes, fruit, eggs, tofu, meat, cheese,...

count me in.

So far I've had 4 pm's + your reply roadbowler. I will wait another week to give more people a chance to read this post, then I'll see if we can arrange something and will answer your pm's.

There is a place in Rogart as well that may be cheaper for you, I can't remember the name which means I can't find any details online but I think it is something like IV Vegs.

Thanks starry. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything about this place in Rogart. If anyone else knows more about this please let me know.

With searching I found one other small scale veg box seller in Fearn as well, but he just delivers locally I think. I may contact him in the future but I'll stick with Macleod for now.

I am back to work on Monday I will find out for you then, one of the girls in the office uses them

hi the name of the rogart ones are beven whitty rovie lodge rogart sorry dont have phone number

Thanks. Do you know if they do veg boxes? Can't find anything online.

Just googled Rovie Lodge, and found them here. They don't appear to cover this area though.

Oh I knew it was IV something lol !

Thanks shabbychic! I tried googling as well but must have looked over them.
    I will certainly contact them, you never know they may be able to arrange something...

I just noticed, they don't seem to focus on organic produce...
    Taking this into account macleod seems a lot cheaper (although of course boxes may be smaller or may have less variety). Anyway I (and probably others who are interested) would really prefer organic produce.

I noticed that too. MacLeods do seem to be cheaper so perhaps it would be better to see what they could come up with.

I've just sent a pm to everyone who's contacted me, we have 8 people so far.
    Delivery would be around £2 per box. (could get less in the future if we get more interested people!) from Macleod. I'm quite happy with this.

maybe one of the mods could make this a sticky for a week or two to try and get some more interst?

Done
    Will highlight on the front page later

Bill

Thank you Bill!

Count me in too

yes count me in too, we used to get organic veg and some fruit delivered down south when we stayed there, think its a great idea to support local growers.

20. Default

Just noticed this post, and im maybe to late but the girl from rogart actually has a mobile van that she carries the veg in almost like a greengrocer so you can pick and choose, if you ask her she does try to get organic things. I would give her a call as im sure she is cheaper than her website states plus being able to choose straight of the van means your only paying for the items you want and the quantity you want.

Not wanting to push my own business but i produce and sell lamb im organic although i cant state it as i dont pay for certification its only ever available from sept to nov but if anyone likes organic lamb give me shout.
    xx

Cara & Bracken

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast