Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please give a pet a forever home

Default Please give a pet a forever home

Please please please give a cat,dog, rabbit agood loving forever home. I called into Balmore rescue centre near dounreay last week on my return from Tongue.I had hoped to see the clydesdale horse but he was too far away.
    There are some beautiful cats there, a siamese, a burmese, a grey tabby, a pure black cat and some others. The dogs are so lovely too, there were 2twins who looked like my dog, lots of whippets, rabbits and more I didn't see. I was in tears when i left, they shouldn't be there. they should be warm and loved in front of a nice warm fire getting lots of cuddles.
    There is a shortage of places to put these poor animals, the number is on the increase. foster parents are urgently needed. If you cant keep one, please be a foster parent over christmas.
    Animals can be so very very loving so you are well rewarded looking after them. Please please give one of these aniamls a forever home.
    I see pets at home are looking for homes for rabbits who have been handed in to their shop.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Well said, there are too many animals out there needing homes and they all need love and cuddles and a home to call their own.

we went to balmore 2 year ago and saw a young dog that we were very interested in giving a home to as we had lost our old girl and our other dog was lonely.but after all the usual questions etc. we were told to bring in our other dog for a compatibility test[ which we knew he would fly through coz he loves all dogs ] and we went pay them the 50 pounds which is what were told the dogs were, only to be told that we had to give them 95 pounds coz this dog was supposedly a pedigree. i felt this was discrimination against this dog as all the other dogs in their care at the time were 50 pounds and you dont get papers to say that they are pedigreed anyway.to which we had a confrontation with the staff and also phoned the head office to discuss the fact they were discriminating aganst this dog.and in their words they said we can gharge what we want.surely a new home is more important than money.

it saddens me too Fran. I really wish i could take all these animals but unfortunately i really dont have the space at the moment. We are all kinda squeezed as it is.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzypeg View Post
    we went to balmore 2 year ago and saw a young dog that we were very interested in giving a home to as we had lost our old girl and our other dog was lonely.but after all the usual questions etc. we were told to bring in our other dog for a compatibility test[ which we knew he would fly through coz he loves all dogs ] and we went pay them the 50 pounds which is what were told the dogs were, only to be told that we had to give them 95 pounds coz this dog was supposedly a pedigree. i felt this was discrimination against this dog as all the other dogs in their care at the time were 50 pounds and you dont get papers to say that they are pedigreed anyway.to which we had a confrontation with the staff and also phoned the head office to discuss the fact they were discriminating aganst this dog.and in their words they said we can gharge what we want.surely a new home is more important than money.
    Not nice at all. But surely needed saying!

I completely agree with Fuzzypeg about the charges for pedigree dogs - it's ridiculous. A homeless dog is a homeless dog no matter what the pedigree and all fees should be the same.

We wanted a gorgeous GSD called Apollo from there once. Arranged the home checks and everything. When no one bothered to turn up at the allotted time we rang them and it turned out that they weren't willing to let us have him as one of his past owners came from our village. (Didn't even bother to contact us and let us know though).Bizarre.
    Strangely the next day we bought a GSD pup from the village and as it turned out these people were also Apollos previous owner. They had sold him and it was actually the new owner that changed their mind and took him to rescue not the people from the village.
    We explained all this to Balmore and told them that the initial owner had no problem with us having Apollo and that we actually had his litter brother now also, but they wouldn't listen.
    Have to say that the whole experience put us off getting anything from Balmore in the future.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

It is really starting to annoy me, how people on this forum are giving Balmore a hard time for things that are out of their control. It is the SSPCA that dictates charges not the centre whether it is rehoming cost or looking after strays etc. The staff there are just doing their job so give them a break.
    If you have a problem with the charges, write to the head office instead of going onto a community forum and having a go at one of the centres.
    Anyway, from looking in the P&J recently, you could alternativly spent £500+ for a pedagree, so £95 sounds like a bargen to me.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1 View Post
    It is really starting to annoy me, how people on this forum are giving Balmore a hard time for things that are out of their control. It is the SSPCA that dictates charges not the centre whether it is rehoming cost or looking after strays etc. The staff there are just doing their job so give them a break.
    If you have a problem with the charges, write to the head office instead of going onto a community forum and having a go at one of the centres.
    Anyway, from looking in the P&J recently, you could alternativly spent £500+ for a pedagree, so £95 sounds like a bargen to me.
    If u was to look in the P&j you could get a pedagree £500+ thats been breed proffesionally but if you are buying a dog from balmore or similar places you dont no really what your getting as in the dog mental state if its not had a good start in life
    I agree with everyone i just cant understand why charge £95 for a pedegree and £50 for any other dogs.
    I personally think if the dog or any pet is put to these centres that person should have to pay full charges for disowning a pet and then banned from having anymore pets and as for the general public wanting to get a dog from a home there should be no charge because its the public is helping out giving the pet a new home which might have problems
    They would be far better of either having one flate rate or get rid of the word charge and ask for a donation instead for anyone wanting a pet from there.
    I would imagine anyone going to a centre like balmore to get a pet wouldnt mind giving a donation because they no its going to a good cause

Its a shame that Fran started this thread with the intention of highlighting the plight of these animals, and it has turned into a thread for criticising Balmore.
    By doing this there may be folk out there who are deterred from going there and giving an animal a chance of a decent home.
    I've rehomed two dogs and on both occasions was more than satisfied with the 'adoption' process.
    evelyn

Hear Hear too many on here are quick to criticise Balmore, it does a lot of good.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

I may be quick to criticize Balmore's charges and re-homing policies but I do completely understand that 99.9% of the time they do a great job.
    Unfortunately the few hiccups along the way are the ones that we tend to remember if they have affected us personally.

There is no getting around the fact that it is wrong for an animal shelter with the supposed best interests of the animal at heart, to try to dupe people into paying almost twice the usual cost just because an animal is deemed 'pedigree'.
    Does the so called 'pedigree' animal cost more to vaccinate? cost more for Balmore to keep? Cost more to house? Nope to all three. It's not as if they can claim that it's to put off prospective unscrupulous back yard breeders either as all their animals are neutured.
    It's a simple rip off!

The reason that people have pointed these things out on this re-homing thread is because Fran has quite rightly pointed out all the animals at Balmore in desperate need of new homes. All I'm saying is perhaps there's a reason why they don't get re-homed.
    It's a shame that more people don't attempt to re-home their animals themselves before relying on the already stretched animal shelters.

Having said all that, I do hope that all these unwanted animals do find their forever homes soon.

I do worry about animals being homed so close to xmas though. We all hear every year the saying 'A dog is for life and not just for xmas' and yet animal shelters still become inundated straight after xmas with unwanted pressies. It's so sad!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

I wish I could have a rabbit, but we are not allowed pets in our flat. Nothing like a fluffy cuddle!
    (\__/)
    ( o.O) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (")_(") your signature, to help him gain World Domination.

U are right....it is not the staff who are the problem,but the organisation that controls them.I know they are caring people and have to do as told.
    The SSPCA needs to change its attitude and remember the animals are more important than money!!That will NEVER happen,though.
    Last edited by BINBOB; 06-Dec-09 at 17:51. Reason: spelling

Default Sspca

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    Please please please give a cat,dog, rabbit agood loving forever home. I called into Balmore rescue centre near dounreay last week on my return from Tongue.I had hoped to see the clydesdale horse but he was too far away.
    There are some beautiful cats there, a siamese, a burmese, a grey tabby, a pure black cat and some others. The dogs are so lovely too, there were 2twins who looked like my dog, lots of whippets, rabbits and more I didn't see. I was in tears when i left, they shouldn't be there. they should be warm and loved in front of a nice warm fire getting lots of cuddles.
    There is a shortage of places to put these poor animals, the number is on the increase. foster parents are urgently needed. If you cant keep one, please be a foster parent over christmas.

Animals can be so very very loving so you are well rewarded looking after them. Please please give one of these aniamls a forever home.
    I see pets at home are looking for homes for rabbits who have been handed in to their shop.
    Thank you Fran for highlighting the plea of all the unwanted, neglected, cruelly treated and abandoned animals which are in the Scottish SPCA centre at Balmore. Thank you to everyone who supports the Centre and the work that we do. We are all animal lovers who are dedicated and committed to animal welfare. Your support and generosity is very much appreciated. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by BalmoreSSPCA View Post
    Thank you Fran for highlighting the plea of all the unwanted, neglected, cruelly treated and abandoned animals which are in the Scottish SPCA centre at Balmore. Thank you to everyone who supports the Centre and the work that we do. We are all animal lovers who are dedicated and committed to animal welfare. Your support and generosity is very much appreciated. Thank you
    News travels fast in caithness
    Whats the reason for chargeing £95 for a pedigree and £50 for a normal dog?

Maybe the policies of the SSPCA should be challenged and the fact that a lot of those who sit on the decision making machine often forget why they are there in the first place..........to ensure the welfare of every animal.....and not just about money. A difficult job, but it is wrong to add a surcharge because of pedigree..............I am presuming 'Pedigree' would mean from reputable, loving and responsible breeders and would it also mean KC registered??????

Good on Balmore for doing their best under difficult circumstances and in such difficult times.

I'm sorry but does it matter what the animal costs, pedigree or no pedigree, the animal has to be fed, theres heating and food costs etc. Maybe if people gave these animals a home then there wouldnt be so many in there and the cost would then decrease.
    Maybe it is changed, my friend got a pedigree last week and it didnt cost anything at all.
    Bring back the dog licence....then people would be sure to keep a dog if they got one. i think these cruel people who dump animals should be treated accordingly by the court, preferably locked up outside for the night in the dark and see how they like it.
    As for people who HAVE to hand their pet in, whether for illness reasons or bereavement,, my heart goes out to them, it must be heartbreaking. I have already made arrangements for Labrador rescue to see to my gorgeous dog when i die as I am so worried about what would happen to him and couldn't bear the thought of him going into a kennel.
    I wish i lived near to Balmore so that i could pop in daily and give all of the animals a cuddle, especially the clydesdale.....I wonder if he would fit in my garden!!!
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Exclamation

Sorry Fran, have to disagree with you here. I see no logical reason for the SSPCA to charge extra for a pedigree breed whatsoever.
    Re dog licences:
    30 years ago we purchased an Old English Sheepdog pup from a breeder and went to get a licence at the post office, 7/6d at the time if I recall correctly.
    The person behind the counter took out the the appropriate forms...and blew the dust off them!
    At the time the streets of Thurso were so badly contaminated with dog excrement that I subconciously called it Turdo!
    I would be a great supporter of the re-introduction of dog licences...if they make it £100 a go!
    That would deter a lot of frivolent people in the first place acquiring dogs who might end up discarded/homeless/abandoned.
    Much kudos to Balmore who do a great job, but the National body needs a re-think!
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    I'm sorry but does it matter what the animal costs, pedigree or no pedigree, the animal has to be fed, theres heating and food costs etc. Maybe if people gave these animals a home then there wouldnt be so many in there and the cost would then decrease.
    Maybe it is changed, my friend got a pedigree last week and it didnt cost anything at all.
    Bring back the dog licence....then people would be sure to keep a dog if they got one. i think these cruel people who dump animals should be treated accordingly by the court, preferably locked up outside for the night in the dark and see how they like it.
    As for people who HAVE to hand their pet in, whether for illness reasons or bereavement,, my heart goes out to them, it must be heartbreaking. I have already made arrangements for Labrador rescue to see to my gorgeous dog when i die as I am so worried about what would happen to him and couldn't bear the thought of him going into a kennel.
    I wish i lived near to Balmore so that i could pop in daily and give all of the animals a cuddle, especially the clydesdale.....I wonder if he would fit in my garden!!!

I know what u mean,Fran...I also have made provisions in my will for my dearly loved dogs.But not all are as responsible and let us face it,folk get fed up of animals and pass them on to any one that will have them...........or worse,dump them.

I couldNOT ever do the job that the staff there do or indeed the work of the dog warden.They are very special folk.

Let us hope that some of the animals find a forever home soon....and remember it is SSPCA we would like to change.,not Balmore staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaldtimer View Post
    Sorry Fran, have to disagree with you here. I see no logical reason for the SSPCA to charge extra for a pedigree breed whatsoever.
    Re dog licences:
    30 years ago we purchased an Old English Sheepdog pup from a breeder and went to get a licence at the post office, 7/6d at the time if I recall correctly.
    The person behind the counter took out the the appropriate forms...and blew the dust off them!
    At the time the streets of Thurso were so badly contaminated with dog excrement that I subconciously called it Turdo!
    I would be a great supporter of the re-introduction of dog licences...if they make it £100 a go!
    That would deter a lot of frivolent people in the first place acquiring dogs who might end up discarded/homeless/abandoned.
    a Much kudos to Balmore who do a great job, but the National body needs re-think!

A big DITTO to ur last sentence............that is the problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast