Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Borders in administration!

Default Borders in administration!

I can't believe that Borders is in administration and have been having financial troubles, Inverness is always busy!

more HERE

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    I can't believe that Borders is in administration and have been having financial troubles, Inverness is always busy!

more HERE
    Obviously not busy enough.

You get nowhere by standing still.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

I can...it was an incredibly expensive place to buy anything from. I saw Ferris Bueller's day off there for £20 by itself and got it for £5 in a boxset of 3 from Woolies!

That's gotta be a blow for Starbucks coffee shops too, half their outlets are gonna be looking for new premises.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

With the likes of Amazon, eBay & any other online source, it's no wonder they have gone bust. It is impossible for High St. Retailers to compete against the ever growing online shops.

If we keep shopping online, what will happen to our High St's? If businesses keep going bust, eventually there will be nothing in our streets barr bails of Tumbleweed.

Borders is a big company, if they are struggling with business, how are the likes of Thurso & Wick going to handle it if any more shops close?

I don't shop online, I support my local county businesses, if everybody (in the UK) does the same instead of shopping online, I feel High St. Retailers will benefit...
    Greed & Competition aren't the result of immutable human temperament, greed & fear of scarcity have being created & amplified. Consequently, we've got to fight with each other in order to survive!

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio12thNov View Post
    With the likes of Amazon, eBay & any other online source, it's no wonder they have gone bust. It is impossible for High St. Retailers to compete against the ever growing online shops.

If we keep shopping online, what will happen to our High St's? If businesses keep going bust, eventually there will be nothing in our streets barr bails of Tumbleweed.

Borders is a big company, if they are struggling with business, how are the likes of Thurso & Wick going to handle it if any more shops close?

I don't shop online, I support my local county businesses, if everybody (in the UK) does the same instead of shopping online, I feel High St. Retailers will benefit...
    I agree completely!! There is very little now that you can't source locally in Caithness. We have the best fresh local produce in Scotland right on our doorstep. Ye canna beat some good Groat's tatties and broccoli

Quote Originally Posted by Turquoise View Post
    I agree completely!! There is very little now that you can't source locally in Caithness. We have the best fresh local produce in Scotland right on our doorstep. Ye canna beat some good Groat's tatties and broccoli
    Absolutely! Most of my fruit & veg is grown here, in my garden. I get eggs from my friend & I'm lucky enough to get fresh meat quite regularly from another friend. I've got lots of random ingredients, spices etc. from all around the world, I could cook a wide range of meals from a different country every night with these ingredients. & all of this was purchased within the county...

What I'm saying is this, Woolies, Borders or whatever big company may be going down next, were hugely reputable companies who at one time were making millions & creating thousands of jobs. If they can go bust as easily & as quickly as they did, just think what could happen in OUR towns, OUR county. Thurso & Wick are pretty dead as it is! & as Turquiose said, there is very little now that you can't source locally in Caithness.
    Greed & Competition aren't the result of immutable human temperament, greed & fear of scarcity have being created & amplified. Consequently, we've got to fight with each other in order to survive!

I found Borders too expensive so didn't buy from them. I use amazon for new releases and any other books come from local shops and second hand book sales. I agree about buying local and try to do that if possible. Personally I find it a lot cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    That's gotta be a blow for Starbucks coffee shops too, half their outlets are gonna be looking for new premises.
    thats why I'm upset, much nicer in there than in the Eastgate Centre one

Thumbs down Serves them right

TBH I’m not surprised Borders has gone into administration. They charged too much for their wide variety of books and customers have become much more discerning. My experience of Borders began about nine or ten years ago in Edinburgh as a mature student. I found Borders Books to be among the most expensive place to source books. As I see it they shot themselves in the foot when they priced books 10% higher than anywhere else.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Default Local business' online....

Might get shot down for this but going to say it anyway.

I find it hard to believe in this day and age that more of the local business' are not online. Ok it might not be viable for some of them but a good majority surely?

As for borders to im not going off topic, its a shame. Bought a lot of christmas presents from there just the other week!

[quote=Hibeechick;625798]I find it hard to believe in this day and age that more of the local business' are not online.[quote]

There is the option of "if ye cane beat 'em...join 'em" & in the long run it might be the only option for local retailers, but if I want a book for example, I'd prefer to go to Jim Bews than Amazon, if I wanted a TV I'd go to Alacam before Argos & if I wanted a guitar I'd go to Pentland Music before the net...

I like to see before I buy, & I like the thought of my money been kept within the county...

& even if some local businesses did go online, I still think they would find it hard to compete against larger companies with larger stock & thier own delivery companies etc...

[quote=Scorpio12thNov;625801][quote=Hibeechick;625798]I find it hard to believe in this day and age that more of the local business' are not online.

There is the option of "if ye cane beat 'em...join 'em" & in the long run it might be the only option for local retailers, but if I want a book for example, I'd prefer to go to Jim Bews than Amazon, if I wanted a TV I'd go to Alacam before Argos & if I wanted a guitar I'd go to Pentland Music before the net...

I like to see before I buy, & I like the thought of my money been kept within the county...

& even if some local businesses did go online, I still think they would find it hard to compete against larger companies with larger stock & thier own delivery companies etc...
    I agree. If you buy local you're investing in a relationship where you can get more help and advice should you need it.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Oh where to start on this one! I think everyone wants to support local businesses, and there are some fine examples of local businesses who price their goods attractively and bend over backwards with service - whether it be through their local shop(s) and/or their online stores.

However we're all painfully aware that many other businesses have been stinging us for years simply because they rely on the passing trade, those who don't/won't shop online (for whatever reason), and those last minute or who simply can't wait a few days for something to arrive.

To those retailers who come in the first paragraph all I can say is WELL DONE! You will continue to thrive because you move with the times and, although you may never get rich as your profit margins are probably already cut to the bone, you will be treasured in the hearts in your happy customers - they value you and will continue to use your business.

To those retailers who come under the second paragraph I can only hope you see the light before it goes out. There is very little that your customers can't buy online and most likely at a cheaper rate. More and more will buy online, and yes it will be sad to see local businesses go, but through diversity and reasonable pricing they may still have a chance to redeem themselves.

On a personal note I've pretty much stopped selling new PC systems to all but the most insistent of customers , while the price of 2nd user ones has hit the floor. However the servicing and design & print sides of business are healthier than ever, so a big thank you to my customers for keeping me in business

Wink

Yes but the option is there to do both. I do both and have had to adapt my business to compete with extremely large and worldwide companies. I have orders received online daily but i am still here in the flesh for those passing by

I ordered a book from borders online last week - Dont know if it will come now - its a pressie for the kids too !!!

I hope nobody baought borders gift vouchers a chrietmas presents for anyone !

I love our local produce here, especially the meat from Harrolds' Butchers in Wick and my granda's veg

But when it comes to buying things that are the same no matter where you get them from, like DVDs and books and gadgets, I'll always go for the cheapest shop, which tends to be online.

[QUOTE=Gronnuck;625806][quote=Scorpio12thNov;625801]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeechick View Post
    I find it hard to believe in this day and age that more of the local business' are not online.

I agree. If you buy local you're investing in a relationship where you can get more help and advice should you need it.

Does this mean you will now purchase things if they are 10% more or have local retailers who charge more still " shot themselves in the foot " ??

Borders were just too expensive. On the few times I was in there, I do not go to Inverness often to any shopping, their prices I just could not afford.

Last time i was in I wanted to buy the "Lost Symbol by Dan Brown". They were selling it at the supposed reduced price of £15.99. I did not buy it as I could not afford it. When I got home I checked out Amazon and I bought it from them for £5.00 including P&P.

So I do believe if they had charged more competive prices they could have avoided this.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast