Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: What do you think about Iran's nuclear ambitions?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Iran should be allowed to do what they want.

12 42.86%
  • The UN should intervene but by non-aggressive means

5 17.86%
  • The UN should allow invasive military action if needed.

5 17.86%
  • If the UN won't do anything to stop Iran then other countries should.

4 14.29%
  • I don't care, I'm in wee Caithness where it's happy.

2 7.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iran's Nuclear Ambitions?

Default Iran's Nuclear Ambitions?

Should Iran be allowed to develop the nuclear bomb? And if not, what should the UN do about it? I can't think of anything short of an invasion would stop them so should the UN give a resolution to allow invasive military action against Iran?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Should Iran be allowed to develop the nuclear bomb? And if not, what should the UN do about it? I can't think of anything short of an invasion would stop them so should the UN give a resolution to allow invasive military action against Iran?
    You think that Iran is the latest bogey man then? There is no evidence that Iran is trying to develop a nuclear bomb, only that they are developing nuclear energy plants, as they are perfectly entitled to do. If they wanted nuclear weapons, they could easily just buy them from the old Soviet Union states.

I hope that we are not going to be duped into another of these 45-minute-type "claims."

Quote Originally Posted by Stavro View Post
    There is no evidence that Iran is trying to develop a nuclear bomb
    When were you ever swung by evidence Stavro?

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    Right on there gleeber.

they could easily just buy them from the old Soviet Union states.
    I doubt it, what is your reasoning?

Who are we to say what they can and cannot have? After the lies upon lies sprouted by Bush & Blair, (who should be tried as war criminals), about Saddam having them then being proved wrong, I think it's time we kept our bloody noses out of it. Incidentally, if they do develop Nuclear Weapons, they are ublikely to use them-Ahmadinnerjacket just wants to have a bargaining chip.

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    All the time, gleeber, but I question the evidence that I'm presented with, rather than just blindly swallowing what may turn out to be nothing more than propaganda to serve the interests of some group or individual.

Let me ask you a question, gleeber: The Iraqis were no danger to us whatsoever, yet hundreds of thousands of them have been killed on the word of a few people who turned out to be, in my opinion, liars. Based on this fact, do you consider that Iran's business is anything to do with us?

I doubt it, what is your reasoning?
    Ukraine holds nuclear weapons. Ukraine is financially broke (can't even pay its gas bill). Iran has money from oil. If Iran wanted nukes, then why not just buy them?

Ukraine holds nuclear weapons. Ukraine is financially broke (can't even pay its gas bill). Iran has money from oil. If Iran wanted nukes, then why not just buy them?
    Errr. Ukraine didn't buy nukes from the old Soviet states, it was one of the old Soviet states!

Errr. Ukraine didn't buy nukes from the old Soviet states, it was one of the old Soviet states!
    What are you on about??

What are you on about??
    I ask you where your reasoning is for your assertion that Iran can buy nukes, so far I'm unimpressed.

I ask you where your reasoning is for your assertion that Iran can buy nukes, so far I'm unimpressed.
    To be honest, Rheghead, I take it as a compliment that you are "unimpressed."

You asked for my reasoning on Iran being able to buy nuclear weapons (if it desired them) from the old Soviet Union states. When I told you my reasoning with regard to Ukraine, you came back and said that Ukraine did not buy them from the old Soviet Union states because it was an old Soviet Union state. But this is exactly what I was claiming! Get a clue, Rhegers, old bean.

I would prefer we lived in a world of perfect splendour. I'm glad the Americans are on our side and have shown their responsability in the way they have used their power.
    Its not so easy to be an independant state with no ties to others in the modern world. I percieve Iran as a threat because of their religious ideals and hatred of America.
    For that reason alone if I were the leader of any freedom loving country I would be very concerned if Iran had the capability to make Nuclear weapons.

You asked for my reasoning on Iran being able to buy nuclear weapons (if it desired them) from the old Soviet Union states.
    Why would Ukraine compromise its own safety and its standing with the IAEA and the international community for a quick buck? Ukraine seeks international support in the shadow of Russia's influence in its own domestic affairs. Your reasoning is nonsensical.

I honestly don't know if they should or shouldn't be allowed.

Part of me thinks what is it to do with us to tell another nation what to do, but then it does make me nervous just what controls would be in place should they do develop them, Ahvehadmedinnerdad probably does want the bargaining chip and a better seat at the world dinner table.
    But is the rest of the hierarchy in the upper echelons of Iran's chain of command stable enough for the us to be confident there isn't going to be a breakaway loon with his finger on the button?

And, if "we" did decide not to allow it what can we do? Send a strongly worded letter, we certainly can't entertain military intervention in yet another country can we................oh, forgot, can't expect this government to make a sensible decision

Let's keep cutting back the MoD and send more poorly kitted troops to Afghanistan & Iraq and then pile into Iran while trying to keep the Russians under guard as well.

Yes I can guess what Gordo will do
    whatever the yanks tell 'im too

If World Peace is the omelette then Iran is one of the eggs, no?

Why would Ukraine compromise its own safety and its standing with the IAEA and the international community for a quick buck? Ukraine seeks international support in the shadow of Russia's influence in its own domestic affairs. Your reasoning is nonsensical.
    I suppose that we're getting somewhere now, because at least you have responded to the actual claim.

Such weapons can (and do) go "missing," as you will no doubt remember that the United States "lost" some nukes a short time back.

So if Iran builds a nuclear weapon and blows up Tel Aviv, who is too blame? Iran or the UN for not acting when it had the chance?

Such weapons can (and do) go "missing," as you will no doubt remember that the United States "lost" some nukes a short time back.
    Actual weapons or just weapons grade materials?

Kaitness has its own wee nukey bomb still sitting near you Rheg, look out the Gaelic National Liberation Front, may yet decide to blame you for Vulcan lol
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast