Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Recycling batteries?

Default Recycling batteries?

Where can I take them? Just wee household use batteries.

Thank you!
    People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will
    never forget how you made them feel.

When i enquired at the council service point about this they said to just put them in a plastic bag seperate to the other waste and put them in my bin as they are not recycled.

Really? That's surprising. Thanks for letting me know.
    People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will
    never forget how you made them feel.

Best thing to do is get the rechargable battries. Thats recycling

Quote Originally Posted by Vistravi View Post
    Best thing to do is get the rechargable battries. Thats recycling
    Aye, but when they have expired (wont take a charge) where do you recycle them.

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    Must be better than using ones you can only use once surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Vistravi View Post
    Must be better than using ones you can only use once surely?

Aye your right they are better, but it doesn't answer the question does it.

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    It looks like they will step up efforts to encourage recycling come February. Here in the U.S. they only recycle rechargeable batteries for the most part, since the AA, AAA,s etc., are supposedly water soluble now and can be put in the regular trash. A few states disagree and continue to recycle them.

http://earth911.com/blog/2009/06/09/...ery-recycling/
    British retailers selling more than 32 kg (approximately 70 pounds) of batteries per year are now required to offer free collection and recycling under a new British law that takes effect Feb. 1, 2010.
    The law is part of Britain’s goal of recycling 25 percent of its household batteries by 2010. Currently the U.K. recycles less than 5 percent of its batteries.
    Batteries are identified by the product they’re used for (car battery, cell phone battery, etc.) or its size (9V, button cell). Batteries’ names are based on the metals they contain. Photo: Bathesdagreen.wordpress.com

Some retailers are already rolling out recycling programs, such as Morrisons. Retailers have to register a compliance plan by October 15 and will be required to post information about battery recycling at the point-of-purchase.
    A recent Scotland poll showed consumers had little knowledge of where to recycle batteries, and only one retailer offered battery recycling.
    In the U.S., the Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation offers a free rechargeable battery recycling service for retailers.
    The RBRC was founded by the rechargeable battery industry in order to properly dispose of rechargeables and products that use them (cell phones, laptops, power tools, etc.). The batteries are deemed hazardous because they contain heavy metals such as cadmium.

You can use the Sort-It website to find local battery recycling points - www.sort-it.org.uk

After searching online it turns out that Argos, Homebase, B&Q, Currys, PC World etc.. accept household batteries for recycling, the only drawback is they are all in Perth, I'm going to phone Homebase here to enquire further and will post more info later.

I'm heading south next Monday so taking a wee detour into Perth to get rid of my small mountain of batteries is now looking a distince possibility as I really really don't want to throw them in the bin!
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

small fishing village outside wick called pulteney

Quote Originally Posted by Julia View Post
    After searching online it turns out that Argos, Homebase, B&Q, Currys, PC World etc.. accept household batteries for recycling, the only drawback is they are all in Perth, I'm going to phone Homebase here to enquire further and will post more info later.

I'm heading south next Monday so taking a wee detour into Perth to get rid of my small mountain of batteries is now looking a distince possibility as I really really don't want to throw them in the bin!
    take them round to my house i will throw them in next doors bin when they arent looking lol

Default At last

Just noticed a bin in Tesco's today (beside the postbox) for recycling batteries!

Put them in the (Man Drawer of course)..........god knows they'll come in use some day.

STAY IN TUNE

My 'man drawer' has recently spilled over into the next drawer so I now have two man drawers side by side, it's already full of batteries but unused one which tend to be slightly more useful than dead ones

Can you just chuck em in with the car batteries up at the recycling centre? Or are the two types of battery totally different?

From 1 February 2010, UK shoppers and businesses will have new and easy ways to recycle batteries. Many supermarkets and high street shops will have collection points…

http://www.wasteawarescotland.org.uk/html/NewsArticle.asp?NewsID=1173

Argos have a tub on their counter for recycling batteries too. I got rid of my huge collection of dead batteries today in Tesco, quite satisfying it was too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra_B View Post
    Where can I take them? Just wee household use batteries.

Thank you!

Co-op now takes your old battery's from you to re-cycle.

Boots also have a tub for your batteries now