Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lybster - what is it like?

Default Lybster - what is it like?

Hi ,

I wonder if anyone can tell me what Lybster is like to live in as an area as we are thinking of moving there. Any insights would be most greatfully recieved!

Default Lybster

Not that I have lived there or plan to ever but if you go by the reports in the local paper there seems to be quite a lot of petty crimes in the area all done predominately by a few families. Daresay no more crime than other areas but in such a small place it is bound to have a impact.

Thumbs up Lybster

Hi I have lived in Lybster all my life and would not change that. Yes there are the few who cause trouble but in the main it is a nice community and even more so when something happens everyone rallies round. Its like everything in life its what you make of it yourself.

I think there is a higher proportion of incommers to the area, mainly English, than elsewhere in Caithness.

For me personally I would never live in Lybster, this is mainly due to a personal experience I have had....also from reading about things in the paper and from what other people have said etc. Although these days it seems like crime etc is getting just as bad or as often in Wick and Thurso
    But I also know people who have lived in Lybster a long time and enjoy living there and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
    I guess you'll never know what it's really like untill you've lived there.

Default Leeebster!

I hail from just outside Lybster to the south, I rarely go down the street now adays but in my Primary School days it was great mind you that's going back at least 10 years now. Its is/was a close knit community and a quiet little village. As Tides said there are a lot of incomers to the area, but that justifies thats its a nice place to live, with nice walks in the area and great bus links into Wick. I am pro Lybster but i tend to biased as family is based there.

My granda went to Lybster Harbour yesterday and a kind local gave him 3 lobsters! I am enjoying a Lobster sandwich as we speak. Speaking of the harbour Waterlines is a nice place to visit in the summer. If you look on the walls you can see some of the boats which my classmates and I made way back in 1999.

The book of Lybster by D.Young (i think) is a good book to have a look at, again I feature in this book.
    I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore

Default Lybster

I have family in Lybster and they have had nothing but trouble. This is mainly by the same few yobs but personally I would never move to Lybster. Most of the time I don't even like to go to Lybster.

I find that threads asking about somewhere to stay are seldon helpful as there are so many varying views coloured by particular instance one way or another which had affected the individual with vert negative or positive influence. I would guess that Lybster will be much the same as any other small community - good to live in if you are willing to make the commitment to come half way to meet those already there. Join in the local scene, help at local events and be willing to mix ( not take over at first) and it will all be OK.

I Lived just outside of Lybster and loved it, If I ever moved north again, would have no worries about living there again

Quote Originally Posted by MarieH View Post
    Hi ,

I wonder if anyone can tell me what Lybster is like to live in as an area as we are thinking of moving there. Any insights would be most greatfully recieved!
    In a word, Quiet.
    Cmey e Scorries

Default Lybster

I lived at Swiney for almost 2 years moving back in2 Wick just over a year ago and i loved it out there and made loads of really good friends. I personally loved the villiage and if i couldnt be bothered going into the town i didn't need to their was a fantastic butchers and 2 well stocked shops. Also the Portlands is nice for food and the Bayview is nice for a wee dram! Sadly due to having a young child and work commitments im now in the town again. But the folk out there are lovely and yes as you can read in the local papers there is reports of petty crime but that is no different to what is happening in Wick, Thurso or Castletown etc.

lybster is a nice place i would recomend it to anyone lots of nice folk live there i would move back there any time!i used to live at swiney hill! nice village good pubs friendly folk(gods country)lol

Never lived there but when we hold rabbit shows there the help and support we get from local parents and the general community is brilliant.
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

Why not try Mybster instead of Lybster, very quite place to live, local amenities nearby in Watten and Halkirk, riding school just up the road, situated in the exact centre of the county for access to all main towns and villages as well as being beside the main artery to the north/south A9 trunk road.

Within commuting distance of Wick and Thurso. Fabulous choice of place to live!!
    Live the Life

An incomer to Lybster here..lovely friendly people.........whatever their origins.

I've never seen a yob....but doubtless they exist.....don't they everywhere to a greater or lesser extent?

I'd reccomend it to anybody.

Heard it being called little Liverpool a few times recently!

Moved from Lybster to Wick 10 years ago, certainly would never go back now. In my opinion there is hardly any original locals left, now all incomers, yobs or unemployed.

You dont need a house in Lybster, just a yurt or tent.

Quote Originally Posted by hopper.65 View Post
    Heard it being called little Liverpool a few times recently!
    Surely not

Quote Originally Posted by Dog-eared View Post
    You dont need a house in Lybster, just a yurt or tent.
    How very true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast