Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: beware spoof paypal email

Default beware spoof paypal email

i have just recieved an email from paypal saying that there has been unusual activity on my paypal account and it gave me a case I.D number, i was advised to click on a link which then asked for my password & to answer my security question, then went on to ask for my credit card details.
    i have forwarded the email to paypal, changed my password & security questions.
    I also contacted paypal.This email looks so real.
    So please if you get one forward it to paypal some people i know can be very trusting and the concequences of such email could be very damaging

send to spoof@paypal.com

They will answer and tell you if the email is genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by sapphire1
    i have just recieved an email from paypal saying that there has been unusual activity on my paypal account and it gave me a case I.D number, i was advised to click on a link which then asked for my password & to answer my security question, then went on to ask for my credit card details.
    So please if you get one forward it to paypal some people i know can be very trusting and the concequences of such email could be very damaging
    These are Spoof emails and quite a common occurance. Paypal/eBay always refer to you by your registered name. They will advise you never to go to their site through an email link.
    If you're an ebay user download the ebay toolbar and this will warn you if your on a spoof website when you click on an email link (for ebay & paypal only).
    Last edited by Buttercup; 22-Mar-06 at 17:08.

Quote Originally Posted by DW
    send to spoof@paypal.com

They will answer and tell you if the email is genuine.
    sorry i forgot to add the email address to send it to thanks DW
    paypal would never ask you to enter your details they would ask you to log in through your paypal account

Quote Originally Posted by billy boy
    sorry i forgot to add the email address to send it to thanks DW
    paypal would never ask you to enter your details they would ask you to log in through your paypal account
    ooopps sorry i never even posted my reply to sapphire1 about the spoof email

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup
    [COLOR=#9932cc]
    If you're an ebay user download the ebay toolbar and this will warn you if your on a spoof website when you click on an email link (for ebay & papal only).
    Jeepers I didn't know the Pope used paypal - must be for the Holy C note

Quote Originally Posted by DW
    Jeepers I didn't know the Pope used paypal - must be for the Holy C note
    Whoops! I've corrected it now ~ but at least it shows you were paying attention DW!

couldn't resist it.....

Quote Originally Posted by sapphire1
    I have been getting these e-mails from "paypal" for over a year now, they are nowt new!

I just dump them, pure and simple.

The Loafer
    Tally ho with a bing and a bong and a buzz-buzz-buzz

Quote Originally Posted by Loafer
    I have been getting these e-mails from "paypal" for over a year now, they are nowt new!

The Loafer
    I know they are not new, but some people may be new to paypal and unaware that it is not them who has sent the email and therefore they may just reply to it.
    that is why i have put this post on!!

Quote Originally Posted by Loafer

The Loafer
    Whenever I receive spoof emails, be it from ebay or paypal I just click on reply and send them loads of verbal, then report it to ebay or paypal.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

I wouldn't click on reply on a spoof email; this just confirms your email address is valid; sometimes just what they want to know.
    Ann

I just bin it that way they dont get anything out of me .

I also get a lot of those. I usually send on new ones (they all repeat and repeat and repeat) and bin the rest. However a few weeks ago I actually got a *genuine* one from PayPal as the expiration date on my CC was just about up. If I hadn't noticed that and just binned it like the rest, I would have had trouble next time I tried to buy something on eBay. So, read em carefully! As has been pointed out, the genuine one just told me to go and log on to sort out what they needed.

I am new to ebay and paypal and would like to say thanks for letting me know as I am just the kind of doughball who may get conned.