Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for witness to dog hitting in car

Default Looking for witness to dog hitting in car

Looking for anyone out there who seen a nissan micra hitting a black and white collie sized dog. A dog jumped out infront of my car at approx 9:30am this morning and has trashed the front of my car. It happened on Ormlie Road in Thurso just before the high school.

Any details will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much, Kev.

Good luck. How is the dog?
    (\__/)
    ( o.O) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (")_(") your signature, to help him gain World Domination.

The dog is fine, i was going 25mph and i slammed the brakes on as soon as i seen it, i reckon i hit it at 10mph or so. It looked shocked but ran away unhurt. Left my car in quite a state tho

If a relatively small and light dog did such damage to your car at only 10mph I would suggest your car was not roadworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post
    If a relatively small and light dog did such damage to your car at only 10mph I would suggest your car was not roadworthy.
    Dont think you really have the right to say whether his car is roadworthy or not in my opinion. Would depend where the impact was and even at 5mp could cause damage. So unless you have seen the car you realy cant comment on its roadworthyness.
    What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger.....

Did you report the accident to the police, if so surely they will be looking for the owner so you can claim damages, I assume this is why you want witnesses.
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

The same thing happened to my OHs car many years ago when he was driving through the village of Arabella. A dog ran right in front of him, hit the front of the car and both side doors. He was doing 40mph at the time and amazingly the dog only had a cut on its ear!!! It had a clean bill of health from the vet but the owner was told off for not having it on the lead close to a main road. Sadly the damage to my OHs car was pretty bad - smashed bumper and dented doors!!

I think Boozeburglar's point is valid, if hitting a dog at 10 mph "trashed the front of your car", how will that car fare in a collision with another car at 50 mph?

Anyhow, I'm glad neither you nor the dog were hurt.
    Last edited by Margaret M.; 11-Jul-09 at 13:55.

Quote Originally Posted by telfordstar View Post
    Dont think you really have the right to say whether his car is roadworthy or not in my opinion. Would depend where the impact was and even at 5mp could cause damage. So unless you have seen the car you realy cant comment on its roadworthyness.
    I am giving an opinion.

Last I knew of this is a public forum.

I stand by what I said. A light weight animal like a collie is not going to do the damage suggested to a car that was roadworthy, at 10mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    trashed the front of my car
    Left my car in quite a state

The dog is fine, i was going 25mph and i slammed the brakes on as soon as i seen it, i reckon i hit it at 10mph or so. It looked shocked but ran away unhurt. Left my car in quite a state tho
    how do u know the poor dog is ok???have u informed the police???glad u are not hurt...but concerned for the poor dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret M. View Post
    I think Boozeburglar's point is valid, if hitting a dog at 10 mph "trashed the front of your car", how will that car fare in a collision with another car at 50 mph?

Anyhow, I'm glad neither you nor the dog were hurt.
    Cars are designed like this. In this case presumably to reduce damage to a pedestrian if one had been hit. Also (but presumably not in this case) there are things like crumple zones to reduce injury to passengers.

Or would you prefer everyone to drive about with bull bars and kill any kid that runs in front of them??

Also I believe that there is a legal requirement to report this to the police as it is a dog that has been hit.

JimBews

I am giving an opinion.

Last I knew of this is a public forum.

I stand by what I said. A light weight animal like a collie is not going to do the damage suggested to a car that was roadworthy, at 10mph.
    Is that a proven fact? unless it is then your opinion is crap. Thats my opinion because after all it is a public forum.
    What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger.....

This is quite a Valid Point actually and I do not think it is necessary to know the condition of a car at this slow speed. If in fact you were only doing 10mph when you hit this Dog and you then sustained such serious damage then I would tend to agree with boozeburglar.

I remember a small accident I had several years ago. I was driving quite slowly down a fairly steep hill towards a road junction, about 15mph. Stopped at the bottom was another car waiting for traffic before he could move. As I approached I breaked but suddenly my foot went right to the floor and my breaks failed and before I could do anything I hit the car.

I applied my hand break and got out of the car as did the other driver. The damage was this. No damage at all to the car that I hit and my car had just a small dent about 2 ins across and that was all. So we shook hands and we both went on our way, me around the corner to the garage to get my breaks fixed.

So to receive the damage you say you did, at the speed you say you were going, from hitting a small to medium dog, would suggest something wrong somewhere.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    This is quite a Valid Point actually and I do not think it is necessary to know the condition of a car at this slow speed. If in fact you were only doing 10mph when you hit this Dog and you then sustained such serious damage then I would tend to agree with boozeburglar.

I remember a small accident I had several years ago. I was driving quite slowly down a fairly steep hill towards a road junction, about 15mph. Stopped at the bottom was another car waiting for traffic before he could move. As I approached I breaked but suddenly my foot went right to the floor and my breaks failed and before I could do anything I hit the car.

I applied my hand break and got out of the car as did the other driver. The damage was this. No damage at all to the car that I hit and my car had just a small dent about 2 ins across and that was all. So we shook hands and we both went on our way, me around the corner to the garage to get my breaks fixed.

So to receive the damage you say you did, at the speed you say you were going, from hitting a small to medium dog, would suggest something wrong somewhere.
    Not necessarily the case as jim Bews said cars are designed to "crumple" to protect peestrians, They are strengthened in other places to protect the passenger.
    I had a van crash into me at about 10 mph and the front portion just "Crumpled".
    Spoke to a mechanic and he advised me the above, so the Driver is perfectly correct as I am taking the word of a Mechanic and personal experience.

This is from Encap:
    "Protection can be improved with pedestrian friendly bumpers, which deform when they hit a pedestrian’s leg. Protection is improved if the leg is impacted low down, away from the knee, and if the forces are spread over a longer length of leg. For the leading edge of the bonnet, improvements can result from the removal of un-necessarily stiff structures."

So I believe the OP rather than people arguing over who is in the right.

Looking for anyone out there who seen a nissan micra hitting a black and white collie sized dog. A dog jumped out infront of my car at approx 9:30am this morning and has trashed the front of my car. It happened on Ormlie Road in Thurso just before the high school.

Any details will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much, Kev.
    You would be far better of reporting it to the police and they will probably get in touch with all the vets to see if they treated a dog for injurys

It was a nissan micra as stated above. They are not strong cars, they are made out of plastic. I could probably do some damage with one finger as these are designed to absorb blows to protect passengers and whoever/whatever is hit. I may have hit the dog just right on a crumple zone, who knows.

Regardless of what you think about 10mph not being enough to cause damage to my car, i know this is the case as its happened.

cheers for the opinions and comments though

I am not a driver, but is hitting a dog not a reportable accident, should the police not have been informed at once?
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Yes I think hitting a dog is reportable or it used to be

Default Question

Hi Kev, this is Kev.

Have you ever asked a question and then wished you had not?
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Didn't realise there were so many people here who seem to know how much damage will be infilicted to a car by A B C + D...........

The guy is asking for any witnesses, nothing more

Quote : Boozeburglar : If a relatively small and light dog did such damage to your car at only 10mph I would suggest your car was not roadworthy.

A : Never heard such crap in a long time.
    B : Since when is a Collie a light weight dog ?
    C : You should only base an opinion on @ least some facts, you sir have None !!!
    STAY IN TUNE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast