Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Autism

Default Autism

just out of curiosity.. is there any other orgers out there with autistic children?
    been thinking about it a lot today..
    started watching videos on youtube and ended up just having a good cry.
    as some of you may know. ben was diagnosed with autism at the begining of June.
    and at the time it was such a relief just to know.
    you know kinda like. finally, now i know why all this has been happening!
    why he does the things he does...
    i was really upbeat and happier , thinking now we know which way the wind blows.. we cant work with this... we can get things started on his help.
    but today im just down, thinking about everything...
    http://itqueries.com/

My son has Adhd and I sometimes get a little down over it all as it can be very hard work with him sometimes. I think I know all there is on the disorder and am always keeping my eye out on ways to help him. He was also tested for autism but dosnt have it although it is verycommon for kids with ADHD to have autism as well. There isn't a support group up here for ADHD which is a real shame as there are a few kids in county who have the disorder.
    What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger.....

Tilly Teckel Guest

I feel for you, all us mums want is for our child to be happy and healthy. My son does not have Autism or any thing like it but I have spent many years working with children and adults with the disorder and know what a challenge it can be. However, I have found it can also be fascinating, learning to understand life through the eyes of a person who sees things in a totally different way to you. I guess, as with everything, just take it one day at a time and, as you have done, speak up when you're feeling the pressure.

It's sad that there are no support groups for you - maybe one could be organised through the forum? I would be interested in lending a hand on a voluntary basis if need be... Just a thought

My daughter is 18 and she has Asperger's.
    It wasnt until she was 9 that she was diagnosed and its been tough.

Last week we had out transition meeting as she know no longer "belongs" to children services but Adult services......which is a joke because they arent any.

All I can say Brandy is never stop fighting for what is rightfully your childs quality of life,no one else will.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Read and learn all you can about autism. Your son is young and with proper help he can make great strides.

Default autism

My son tyler was diagnosed with autism in november last year he is 3 and a half years old, He is a beautiful and very special child and very bright i used to get moments when i felt the world was against me but not anymore. You have to stay positive!! Yes it,s hard when you feel your child isnt getting the help they need but you can change that.

I feel my son was given to me for a reason and i know i can with the help of family and friends make a big difference in his life. I have been researching autism for about a year im not an expert i dont think any one ever will be autism is far to complex and affects each child differently.

There are lots of programmes that can make such a difference you just have to be able to take the knock backs your gonna get along the way ie, regarding funding it aint easy but it,s doable

Chin up your not alone there are thousands of parents like you if you need any advice im happy to help.
    Last edited by Amy-Winehouse; 03-Jul-09 at 17:29.
    Cmey e Scorries

I think as well that any child with any kind of needs comes with a stigma attached. I have been fighting hard with my sons school to get help with him making and keeping friends and generally doing well in class it has taken me 3 years but finally u am getting somewhere.

My son is very outcast by alot of kids in his school which to me is their loss. My son a a fantastic caring boy and although can get a wee bit high is never violent just finds it hard to calm down.

I agree fully with amy winehouse, I am blessed with my son and wouldn't change him for all the t in china

Quote Originally Posted by telfordstar View Post
    I think as well that any child with any kind of needs comes with a stigma attached. I have been fighting hard with my sons school to get help with him making and keeping friends and generally doing well in class it has taken me 3 years but finally u am getting somewhere.

My son is very outcast by alot of kids in his school which to me is their loss. My son a a fantastic caring boy and although can get a wee bit high is never violent just finds it hard to calm down.

I agree fully with amy winehouse, I am blessed with my son and wouldn't change him for all the t in china
    Yes very true about the stigma but this label these kids are given doesnt define them as a person some people should look beyond the name and look at what these children have to offer, Henery ford was autistic and look what he did !!
    Cmey e Scorries

My great nephew has just had his "official" autistic diagnosis after five years of knowing something was wrong, just not quite knowing what, and how to deal with it. His parents are fantastic, fighting for his rights and he is now in mainstream school with one to one support. The support agencies keep shifting the goalposts, but we just keep battling on.

When he was diagnosed the assessor did say from the way his father was leaping about and fidgety if the condition had had a name forty years ago he would have been autistic too.

Wee man is brilliant with music and numbers, and words are coming along too, so battle on is all I can suggest.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Quote Originally Posted by Amy-Winehouse View Post
    Yes very true about the stigma but this label these kids are given doesnt define them as a person some people should look beyond the name and look at what these children have to offer, Henery ford was autistic and look what he did !!
    it's east to say but that's not the way of the world unfortunatly oraybe it would be a better place.

Smile Hi

Hi Brandy
    I've sent you a pm
    The best things in life aren't things

Hi my sons autistic he was diagnosed at 3 and is now 14,it can get pretty tough but he is a special part of my life.

Our son has been on the waiting list in england to be diagnosed for well over a year. It took two years to even get him on a waiting list.
    We are moving to Caithness next month and we have been informed that he will betaken off the waiting list in england.
    Does anybody know what i need to do to get him on a waiting list up here?

Your new GP in Caithness would need to re-refer, unless your current GP would write a letter to your new GP to try to hurry things along. As soon as you know the re-referral has been done, phone the appointments secretary every month asking where on the list your son is, and which priority he has been given. If he is not prioritised as urgent you will need to go back to your new GP and ask him to upgrade the referral priority.

Have you a temporary GP registration in Caithness until your move is permanent? The GP here doesn`t get all your notes until you transfer permanently, but it gives you a chance to get to know the doctors in the practice.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Autism in a child can be difficult for any parent; However, that child needs even more love than a normal child.

Default Child with ASD

We have a child with Autism who is a very loving affectionate child. Who wants to make friends with everyone but gets shund alot of the time and can't understand why. Consequently she spends alot of time with us or playing by herself.

We know that Autism is hard to understand as we are still getting our own heads round it and get really low at times. People say we feel more pain and upset for her than she does, but we just want others to give her a break include her in things.
    stiggy

thanks guys... its really nice to hear from other people...
    some days are better than others...
    yesterday i was just feeling very weepy and down.
    ben is a joy most times, hes a very happy and well adjusted little boy.
    have lots of support for him and he started ceyac this last semester and will be going into p1 at ceyac after the holidays. ive a whole folder with info the dr. gave me.
    just sometimes i just feel like im sick and tired of all the research and reading.. and would just like to talk to someone that actually is going thru or been thru what is going on in our lives.
    its all well and good to know and understand what is going on and what to expect.. but still feel completly alone in the world.
    http://itqueries.com/

Quote Originally Posted by brandy View Post
    thanks guys... its really nice to hear from other people...
    some days are better than others...
    yesterday i was just feeling very weepy and down.
    ben is a joy most times, hes a very happy and well adjusted little boy.
    have lots of support for him and he started ceyac this last semester and will be going into p1 at ceyac after the holidays. ive a whole folder with info the dr. gave me.
    just sometimes i just feel like im sick and tired of all the research and reading.. and would just like to talk to someone that actually is going thru or been thru what is going on in our lives.
    its all well and good to know and understand what is going on and what to expect.. but still feel completly alone in the world.
    It may feel like you're alone sometimes brandy but a smile, a hug, a time when your son does something for the first time that he has been stuggling to do is times of joy. Children are the hardest people to work with(or the easiest for me), your own or other people's but it is so rewarding when you get a smile and a hug when they see you or just when they are chatting away telling you about something.
    Last edited by Vistravi; 04-Jul-09 at 11:13.
    Electronics, Sales, Spares & Repairs * TV * AUDIO * PC & LAPTOP * GAMES CONSOLES * IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT * DOMESTIC APPLIANCES * WEEE DISPOSAL *www.facebook.com/Vistravi.Tech * www.vistravi.com *

We're 'lucky' to have two autistic children, and it is VERY hard.

Don't believe they were given to us for a reason, often wonder what we did wrong in life to get the hand we've been dealt.
    As one door shuts, another one slams in your face.

do you know eading some of these replys meakes me realise how lucky i am, i have 4 healthy happy kids, and the oldest one at the moment is pushing all the boundries and it is proving difficult for me and her dad, but hopefully it is just teenage stuff and she will grow out of it, i applaude anyone with a child with special needs cant begin to imagine how hard it must be at times.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast