Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Halkirk Strawberries

Question Halkirk Strawberries

Just wondered where i can buy Halkirk Strawberries from? Bought some at Harbourfest on Saturday and they were delicious much better than supermarket ones!

Cheers

try a local fish shop

hey they used to be on the stalls in market square on a saturday but not sure if they are still selling them there. They are sold in the castletown butchers

Talking

The person who sells the Strawberries is Patricia Sutherland and she lives just outside Halkirk, she also does Raspberries and other stuff too... Her strawberries are absolutely delicious and I often get them from the market in Wick which is on Saturday mornings......

Spar shop in halkirk.....

Bews Butchers in Thurso

think ya get em in Mackays butchers in thurso too....yummy!!
    it's a sair fecht

Watten shop

Butchers selling strawberries???????? Why?

Are these the same traders that complain about Tesco taking away their trade yet by selling strawberries they are taking away trade from the greengrocer? Double standards methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post

Are these the same traders that complain about Tesco taking away their trade yet by selling strawberries they are taking away trade from the greengrocer? Double standards methinks.
    What greengrocer?

Quote Originally Posted by the_big_mac View Post
    What greengrocer?

Good question!

My butcher alway's sold fruit n veg long before tesco's came here.

Show me a green grocer in Wick and I will go there. Been here 5 years and no green grocers during that time.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

My point exactly, the butchers have taken the greengrocers trade away and forced them all to close.

My point exactly, the butchers have taken the greengrocers trade away and forced them all to close.
    Ats e boy jox great reply!!

He's winding us up again. No butcher can compete with a proper greengrocer !
    I wonder if the butchers in caithness also sell papayas, pears and cherries.

My guess is that there were never real green grocers here. In "olden days" it was too remote, so only local in season produce was consumed and I doubt that with the paucity in variety that a green grocer would survive. My guess is that the butcher would always have had a section with neeps and tatties.... obviously just a guess, but it would be interesting to find out if anyone remembers a green grocer here.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing