Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Wool ply

Default Wool ply

Has anyone any idea how to find the ply of 'named' and no longer made wools? I have found a pattern I would love to knit but the ply of the yard isn't given. I know the needle size gives some idea but I really need to have a better idea before I go and buy a lot of stuff.

Thanks
    Two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe.

Einstein

Have a look to see what size needles used, and compare it to other patterns.

why not try the reel thing they should be able to help you

What are the needle sizes? What is the yarn called? What kind of garment is the pattern for? Like heather says you could take the pattern to the wool shop - they should be able to assist!

Default wool ply

have you tried the yarn lovers page, is very good for all types of yarn comparisons

Register on ravelry.com, they have comprehensive notes on just about any yarn you can get your hands on. It's free to register but really popular so there's a waiting time of around 3-4 days to be able to access the site. Can't recommend it highly enough as a resource for any knitters/crocheters anywhere

Smile

If the wool is 4 ply you will need size 3 1/4 mm and 2 3/4mm or old size 10 and 12 needles.

If the wool is 3 ply you will need 2 3/4 mm and 3mm or old size 12 and 11 needles.

If the wool is 2 ply you will need 3mm and 2mm or old size 11 and 14 needles.

Hope this of some help to you.

suzy

Completely forgot I had posted this and was about to post again how silly of me. Thanks for the information.
    Two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe.

Einstein

Hi veekay,

I've just found out about a new website called Knitting Brain - it has lots of info on yarn substitution and a calculator that lets you work out how many balls of a subsitute yarn you need! Whizzy or what!