Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Input please

Lightbulb Input please

Hi I'm trying to think of some way to make an income from my land, my first thought was a mushroom farm (my OH worked at one back south) and yes i could call it Majic's Mushroom's, then i have noticed that there are not a lot of farm shops here (which i miss).
    My idea is to sell produce for people for a percentage but it must only have been grown/made/produced in caithness, what do you think thanks.
    Please be kind i have a cold for the first time in years

Mushroom farm, there is one near Roseisle (Elgin) and they sell the used earth for compost so you would get double income. How about a wormery? There is a chap that has one in Nairn and it does great trade for the fishermen. It's no cheap either I think it is £2 for 10 large worms the last time I bought some for my dad.

Local veg would always be a great seller, doesn't need to be anything fancy as long as it is good...

Best of luck whatever you turn your hand too.

What about garlic farming? It is very easy to grow. Just break the bulbs into cloves and stick the cloves in the ground. The following year you have a large crop of fresh garlic. Good luck whatever you do - but keep us up-to-date!

Default Sorry, I don't live there . . .

Quote Originally Posted by majic View Post
    Hi I'm trying to think of some way to make an income from my land, my first thought was a mushroom farm (my OH worked at one back south) and yes i could call it Majic's Mushroom's, then i have noticed that there are not a lot of farm shops here (which i miss).
    My idea is to sell produce for people for a percentage but it must only have been grown/made/produced in caithness, what do you think thanks.
    Please be kind i have a cold for the first time in years
    . . . but I'm a strong supporter of anything grown locally, wherever 'home' may be.
    And I like your humourous idea for a name, but watch out for some prudishness - I hate to say it - sorry for tellin' on ma ain fowk.