Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Painted Lady butterflies....?

Default Painted Lady butterflies....?

Today I went down onto the rocks by Clyth Haven. There were several painted lady butterflies on the cliff top (sun bathing and feeding on clover flowers) and also a pair right down at sea level.
    This is the first time I have seen Painted Lady butterflies although I have been told of sightings by friends.
    Are these butterflies unusual at this time of year in Caithness?

Funny you should say that, today i was out side my door and there was one on my chive flowers i took pics of it. It says in my book that they dont arrive in the far north until late summer.

We get Painted Lady butterflies every year in Caithness.

Apparently millions of Painted Lady butterflies have reached the UK in the last few days and it looks that they started to arrive in Caithness today. There were two in my garden today - picture attached.

Anyone seeing Painted Ladies are asked to take a minute to log their sighting in to a national data base at:

http://www.butterfly-conservation.org/sightings_home/1095/migrant_watch.html

Last edited by Pterodroma; 01-Jun-09 at 13:33.

Thanks Pterodroma.
    I knew you'd know!
    (I saw another four in Wick town centre today.)

Saw a Painted Lady today at lunchtime...first I have seen this year so far. Watten area.

One in our garden(Thurso) this afternoon..............

Just when you think everythings fine, life slaps you in the face.

Dunnet forrest and Dunnet Head for my sightings, was delighted a few had made it this far north.