Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ignorance

Default Ignorance

Do any of you people find if something happens in the news that disturbs you, you can just ignore it and it goes away?

I find many news reports both offensive and disturbing. I wonder at times how many of the "first line" people involved i.e. ambulance personnnel, policemen & women, social workers etc. can ever get over some of the sights they see. It must be dreadful for them.

I'm still shocked by the little girls body found in the suitcase in the Caledonian canal. I can't understand the role the grandparents played, if she was (as originally reported) moved from the area, you would think the first thing they would want would be an address or phone number so that they could contact their grand daughter just to see if she had settled into her new home or just to talk to her.

Sometimes peoples actions are beyond belief.

To answer the question, sometimes things just don't go away, they are too horrific to forget.
    Last edited by Whitewater; 08-Mar-06 at 12:11.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

I posted a thread last night, it was disturbing but it was lifted straight from a news report and the thread was removed.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomHero
    I posted a thread last night, it was disturbing but it was lifted straight from a news report and the thread was removed.
    I saw that post and thought it was a bit much for a family forum. The sensible thing to do would be provide a link or a warning that there was a graphic description of animal abuse, just like they would on the news. The particular story is about 5 years old anyway.

Interesting. "A bit graphic" you say? I'm unclear on the rules as I've seen posts on this website about killing in Iraq, babies in bags, kids in suitcases and many other news reports. Are they acceptable for a family forum? Who decides?

Ultimately, the mods decide, they have to make sure the forum is suitable for people of all ages.

I think people should beaware of animal abuse as much as they are aware of human abuse.Lets face you cant sugar coat a story as bad as that also theres alot of sickos in the world and people should beaware of this and this is realilty.

Well said.

wickerinca Guest

I know what you mean Random Hero! Sometimes I read the headline and turn the page or click on the next subject as I just find it too distressing. It is so hard to believe that there are just such evil people in the world. Are there more of them or is it just that with modern media reporting we hear of it more?
    Unfortunately it doesn't go away.....I wish it would, but it won't.

No it doesn't go away. In a way I sometimes wish I didn't have an interest in what goes on in the world but then I think why should I live in a bubble?
    Why should I go about my everyday life oblivious to the suffering others? I shouldn't. None of us should.
    You get what you give

I like to think that if I was to ignore it, it would go away but I know that it won't and I agree with saveman that no one should be oblivious to the suffering of others. So I read/watch the news and thank my lucky stars that I have this life and not another.

wickerinca Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Saveman
    No it doesn't go away. In a way I sometimes wish I didn't have an interest in what goes on in the world but then I think why should I live in a bubble?
    Why should I go about my everyday life oblivious to the suffering others? I shouldn't. None of us should.
    I agree Saveman (What is happening to me!!?) I get so upset at the news sometimes that I have to go and run (Well.....trot!!) round the garden or take the vacuum cleaner out! I sit at the lake to try and get perspective back into my head and list the things I have to be thankful for....which are many. There are many events that we have absolutely no control over but we still feel helpless when faced with the many atrocities carried out on innocents.
    Have to go for a trot.

Quote Originally Posted by crashbandicoot1979
    I like to think that if I was to ignore it, it would go away but I know that it won't and I agree with saveman that no one should be oblivious to the suffering of others. So I read/watch the news and thank my lucky stars that I have this life and not another.
    Read the papers today as usual.Went a wander doon the street with my better half.Said hello to all ma fellow Weekers who always say hello.Ye know what?Agree with what ye all have said,but there really isnae any place like home.
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

I think that may have been more to do with copyright as alot of online news sites are starting to clamp down heavily on sites that breach their copyright. maybe a summarized version with a credit and link to the original author would have been acceptable.
    Last edited by Abdullah; 08-Mar-06 at 19:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah
    I think that may have been more to do with copyright as alot of online news sites are starting to clamp down heavily on sites that breach their copyright. maybe a summarized version with a credit and link to the original author would have been acceptable.
    No. There was no link, nothing to suggest it was a news report. It's to protect people who want to ignore things and pretend they don't happen.

No. There was no link, nothing to suggest it was a news report. It's to protect people who want to ignore things and pretend they don't happen.
    But it was a news report.

I think you've taken the hump because the thread was removed, but if you'd linked to the story people could still read it and, I'll bet, the thread would still be here.

I suspect, though I don't know for sure, that it was deemed explicit to an adult level and so not suitable for a family forum.
    You get what you give

So by reading about it these people would be doing something to prevent it happening? Is that what you are trying to say?

Personally, I'd rather not read such reports, not because I want to pretend they don't happen but because it upsets me that these things do happen and me reading about them will still not make them go away!!
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

Quote Originally Posted by Saveman
    I suspect, though I don't know for sure, that it was deemed explicit to an adult level and so not suitable for a family forum.
    And the Iraq war isn't?
    Last edited by RandomHero; 08-Mar-06 at 19:46.

Quote Originally Posted by connieb19
    So by reading about it these people would be doing something to prevent it happening? Is that what you are trying to say?

Personally, I'd rather not read such reports, not because I want to pretend they don't happen but because it upsets me that these things do happen and me reading about them will still not make them go away!!
    It was a lengthy article. You could have stopped reading whenever.

Perhaps people want to do things to prevent things like that. So if they don't know about them, how can they? I can't run things by people before I post them incase I 'upset' them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast