Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greedy snouts in the taxpayers trough...

Default Greedy snouts in the taxpayers trough...

Have you seen the bigger piggies?

....The recent revelations have my blood boiling.

Gravy train leeches exposed as ripping us all off. From claiming for the smallest items of household goods to hundreds of pounds for cleaning antique rugs. Building up property portfolios on expenses and then benefitting from rising house prices.

A Luton M.P. buys a second home further away from London than her own place in Herfordshire!! What is happening here?

Perhaps if I was not currently on Statutory sick pay of seventy-nine quid a week and did not have to pay prescription charges - such as £7-20 for bloody wound dressings the other week I might feel a little less bitter.
    Right now I'm hopping mad. EVen allowing for the dodgy hip!

I have made my own representative clear as to my feelings and urge you all to do so too.

Never has the system in this country been held in such dis-repute by the common people, never has there been such a disconnect between us, and those who are meant to serve US - but merely see the Westminster power trip as a good way to feather their own nests.

The worst transgressors should be sacked.

It is disgusting.
    On BBC today one guest pointed out if you were on benefits and made a much smaller error than some of these cretin you would probably be doing time.
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell people everything you know

What are the worst cases of greed?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Percy that is awful having to pay for dressings whilst on SSP. I thought SSP was one of the exemptions on prescription charges. Can the GP nurse not supply the dressings to you for free?

My OH had open wounds for nine months following a blood clot post of three cancer ops. God forbid if we had been forced to pay for everything he needed then as he had five different items on prescription used every time the dressings were changed which was up to three times a day in the first two months, then gradually less and less whilst the wound healed from inside.

Hope you are on the mend.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Its appalling but not exactly surprising. How many of us finding we were ENTITLED to claim all these expenses would say - no thanks. The fault lies with the system that allows expenses for silk cushions and toilet seats. What is appalling is that this system was drawn up by MPs for MPs not that people claim what they are entitled to claim. Seems to me that a system like this should be drawn up by an independant body or they should be entitled to the same expenses a civil servant would get. If the government thinks a system is good enough for a civil servant then it should be good enough for the government itself.

The horror. You mean to say that politicians might be abusing the system for their own ends, and are telling lies about it????

TO THE BOATS!
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

It made my blood boil too Percy,one mp even got her dry rot in her house sorted and another bought a house 100 miles away from her constituency.It seems they are only in it for what they can claim.Why does our goverment let them away with it.
    Last edited by butterfly; 10-May-09 at 00:34. Reason: spelling

Because they are the government.

The sham of party politics and the obsession with celebrity and fame holds us all in its thrall while the real scum are sucking on the public nipple.

It seems like a pretty good racket actually. Way better than working for a living.
    "But primarily, the drummer's supposed to sit back there and swing the band." The actual Buddy Rich

Quote Originally Posted by percy toboggan View Post
    Never has the system in this country been held in such dis-repute by the common people, never has there been such a disconnect between us, and those who are meant to serve US .
    When I first glanced at that sentence I thought the Bush Blair days were back (capitilisation of US confused me).

But then I fantasised I'm back in Africa and nothing's changed.

And then I thought, how stupid we all are to put up with this atrocious behaviour. These people's representatives bleating about behaving within the rules when they are the ones who make rules that nobody in the commercial or any other sensible world would contemplate let alone tolerate!

If I had ever, in my limited life as an expenses claimer put in a claim for a toilet seat, questions would have been asked. For a second toilet seat, I can only guess at the company accountant's opinion... Later when I was the boss, scrutinising expenses, people got fired for excess mileage on their vehicles but allowances were allowed (they got a price for accomodation and if they chose to sleep in the car and starve, they could keep the money) but if they turned up for a morning appointment any less than chipper - they were fired!

Does anyone now actually trust these peoples' representatives to make decisions on our behalf that effect us every day?

As far as I can tell only Hillary Benn has come out clean at this stage...

Take care if you're hopping mad on one good hip Perc...

The fact that these people have tried their damnedest to suppress publication of their expenses and that the Speaker sat in over all charge of the committee to sort it out while being as bad as the politicians speaks volumes for the mindset of these people.

Claiming for something just because you can is as corrupt in my eyes as claiming something fraudulently, if the bill is being footed by the taxpayer. Politicians are supposed to be above reproach but this latest round of sleaze exposés has set back the question of their integrity by decades.
    I fully realise that there are honest MPs among the 'piggies' and I hope that they drive through the necessary changes with the utmost urgency to try and get the public trust for our elected representatives back to where it should be.

One thing is for certain, NuLabour, with their promises of "no more sleaze" have managed to eclipse the previous bunch and make their transgressions look like dipping your fingers into the pik'n'mix shelf in Woolies.....

Perhaps Percy would like to join? http://www.taxpayersalliance.com/
    Last edited by MadPict; 10-May-09 at 10:53.

Quote Originally Posted by MadPict View Post
    Take care if you're hopping mad on one good hip Perc...

...Perhaps Percy would like to join? http://www.taxpayersalliance.com/
    thanks for the link...I'll have a look.

I've been thinking about all this hullabaloo about Members of Parliament claiming dubious expenses, but really is it fair? bearing in mind that a General Practitioner earns between £53,249 to £80,354, whilst those who give service to our country as a member of Parliament in this Mother of Democracies are only on an annual salary of £64,766 - some £40,000 less than the CEO of the RSPCA.
    Who amongst us would spent hour upon hour in Westminster debating issues, Countless hours in their offices and travelling around their constituencies holding surgeries for the voters they represent.
    Is it any wonder that at times minor indiscretions or genuine mistakes are made in returning expenses claims - they are human after all. I am sure there are many reading these forums who have made errors, however small or slight they may seem - is it not understandable that overwork and tiredness may well play a role in compilation?
    Having a second home is understandable, how otherwise is it possible to attend Parliament and be present for Divisions, if one's home is outwith the capital?
    Serving our country as an MP is a thankless task - made more so by the recent betrayal of the Telegraph against these hard working folk - how many of this broadsheet's staff fill in their expenses correctly I ask?

Anyway, it'll be something like that for the greedy gits to justify it - I personally think they are having a larf - at our expense - maybe they should collectively apply for a very large trough so they can all get their snouts in.!

Angry

what is an even bigger laugh is seeing the party leaders vying for attention, how they will order their party members to repay, what they have been caught out fiddling. NO mention of the years gone past in the trough of plenty. I suppose those years don't count seeing as they didn't get caught out huh. Perhaps "laugh" is the wrong word or words but I would get into trouble if I was to express my true feelings on the ORG.

Its no wonder the country is in the state its in with that lot making the rules themselves for there expences,i think its totaly imoral what they have done when most of the country is struggling to just get by.And its not just one party its the whole lot of them Guy Fawkes had the right idea.

I think they're just a reflection of our society as a whole. If they were working for a private company and it wasn't 'taxpayer's money', it would be cool.
    I agree with Stephen Fry. Never thought I'd say that.
    I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left

Default frying tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by loobyloo View Post
    I think they're just a reflection of our society as a whole. If they were working for a private company and it wasn't 'taxpayer's money', it would be cool.
    I agree with Stephen Fry. Never thought I'd say that.
    Personally I took Fry's protestations with a degree of umbrage.

I have never fiddled anybody out of false expenses claims and his opinions on this are typical of his arrogant atittudes in general. He seems willing to turn a blind eye to flagrant excess and corruption on a monumental scale. If the public cannot trust M.P's to be honest in matters of day to day personal finance then the whole rotten system will come crashing down.

Where will this leave arty-farty commentators and ten bob bon-vivants like Fry? Hopefully swinging on a jibbet....or
    Twittering his lamentable tosh as the barricades go up.

(sorry - I've over reacted again )

Default expenses

Look here, Percy Toboggan, as a well paid political speech writer my time is better spent drafting peerless prose than cleaning my own moat or installing the chandeliers. For God's sake man, stop complaining - do you expect me to tune my own Steinway Grand?
    This is simply another display of political correctness on your part. For shame!

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/poli...ing.5256066.jp
    Richard Sutherland

Quote Originally Posted by percy toboggan View Post
    Personally I took Fry's protestations with a degree of umbrage.

I have never fiddled anybody out of false expenses claims and his opinions on this are typical of his arrogant atittudes in general. He seems willing to turn a blind eye to flagrant excess and corruption on a monumental scale. If the public cannot trust M.P's to be honest in matters of day to day personal finance then the whole rotten system will come crashing down.

Where will this leave arty-farty commentators and ten bob bon-vivants like Fry? Hopefully swinging on a jibbet....or
    Twittering his lamentable tosh as the barricades go up.

(sorry - I've over reacted again )
    By his own admission, Stephen Fry used to steal from his fellow pupils. He also did three months in prison for fraud. No doubt, just jolly schoolboy japes that got out of hand!!

By the way, I heard Charles Kennedy claimed £5000 for cocktail olives

Default Stephen Fry and the trough

He is allergic both to champagne and bumble bee stings.
    Also he is Jewish and Gay.
    That would seem quite enough misery for him without being attacked on the Caithness. org.
    Most small minded people can usually manage a bit of entertaining gossip but that seems beyond the closet sadists of the ORG.
    Sad really....
    Richard Sutherland

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast