Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dounreay: The Atomic Dream

Default Dounreay: The Atomic Dream

The above programme is on BBC2 tonight at 9pm if any-one is interested!!
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

Cheers for that, I had forgotten, I will put it on autoview
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Thanks for the reminder Connie. I saw an ad for it on tv a few nights ago, made a mental note, but I must have erased it with a few cans of Oranjeboom - not my favourite continental tipple, but I fancied a change.

Will we see any Orgers on TV tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by DrSzin
    Thanks for the reminder Connie. I saw an ad for it on tv a few nights ago, made a mental note, but I must have erased it with a few cans of Oranjeboom - not my favourite continental tipple, but I fancied a change.

Will we see any Orgers on TV tonight?
    I think I saw Edgar Fisher in the trailer for this, I remember him from the shift labs in the early eighties.

Sadly I have to "tan" some beer this evening, so will need to record the program.

Oranje is not the only beer. Check out Brahma, a Brazilian Lager available in the Coop, 8 bottles for £7. Very smooth and easy drinking tipple and is the real, imported McCoy, not the usual, "Brewed under licence in the UK" watery widdle.

"Brahma, it's a Brammer"

Thanks Connie, I hadn't spotted it.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

my dads been waiting to watch that the whole week.

knightofeth Guest

I just finished watching this. I was a bit concerned that it would be too anti-nuclear but it seemed to give a pretty good overview of the history of the plant. The only problem with it was the fact that they gave Lorraine Mann so much screen time. She doesn't even know what she's talking about as far as I can see.
    At the end it said Caithness is one of the places being considered for a new reactor. I don't remember reading that anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by knightofeth
    I just finished watching this. I was a bit concerned that it would be too anti-nuclear but it seemed to give a pretty good overview of the history of the plant. The only problem with it was the fact that they gave Lorraine Mann so much screen time. She doesn't even know what she's talking about as far as I can see.
    At the end it said Caithness is one of the places being considered for a new reactor. I don't remember reading that anywhere.
    I have to agree. That Lorainne Mann is just...well, Erm..Lorainne Mann!! What else can you say!!
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

I thought the programme was fair and balanced, as for the site being the place for a new reactor then read today's Groat.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by knightofeth
    That why there is so much things happen in caithness ie wick makes you all think coz it aint oil .

knightofeth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead
    I thought the programme was fair and balanced, as for the site being the place for a new reactor then read today's Groat.
    ah.. I just went and read it. Oh well

WOW joost switched it on a whiley ago & there was ma mams uncle on it talking about the old days when he was in the dounreay police!!...Brilliant!!

Don't suppose any taped this as i missed it as i was busy painting. will pay for copy if necessary

Thought this was a well balanced programmes showed al the exteremely impressive start and build of the project - - these guys have to be admired what an amout of work in 4 short years it was running
    Some overtime bill there

Also it was only fair to show some of the problems which we all already know had happened and whereas the gung ho method got the thing together Health & Safety may have avoided these problem like the shaft etc

It really shows you that as much as we curse it Dounreay has enriched all our lives in the North in a lot of ways whether you are pro nuclear or not

My view bring on the next stage, the locals here accepted and built the government technology at the forefront of the world. We now deserve the chance to show we can do it again and to a even higher technological standard. THe knowledge and skill base are already here and the locals are receptive why look elsewhere - - Bring it on!

Just how big a group is Scotland Against Nuclear Dumping? The only references I can find is that Lorraine Mann is Convenor, it's not politically affiliated and it's not professional.

I can't find a website for it nor can I find out how big the organisation is supposed to be.
    It strikes me it's another Mary Whitehouse's Viewers and Listeners Association which was given much prominence and attention by the media but only ever reached a maximum of about 200 members.

Who is she? Does anybody know?
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Excellent picture of old Thurso, hope there is more of them around
    Funny seeing Pennyland and Ormlie getting built

Quote Originally Posted by kwbrown111
    Don't suppose any taped this as i missed it as i was busy painting. will pay for copy if necessary
    For me also!!! Please PM me if you can help. Thanks

Watched the programme with the wife.Thought it was really good.

One point though,the programme made it sound as though Caithness was empty of people before Dounreay arrived.Was Caithness so really 'low populated in the 50's?
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

I was surprised by this programme. I expected the usual Horizon- or Panorama-style sensationalist anti-nuclear crap. Instead, I saw people from my long-lost past, people I haven't seen for many, many years. I heard them describe their working lives at Dounreay, their personal experiences and their personal thoughts. I saw the father of a high-school classmate, I saw the man who signed me into Viewfirth week after week, I saw people dismantling things that my father had built more than 30 years ago. I found it really quite emotional. I didn't expect that, I really didn't.

And I saw Lorraine Mann. There was a thread on here some years ago. It was entitled "Who would be your nightmare date?" My list had several names on it. Not any more.

Thumbs up

Now the secret news is out. At the end of the Dounreay programme, they stated that Caithness has been earmarked for a new reactor. That explains all the new shops, thousands of houses being built and the big stores coming, but why so many on the Wick side and not Thurso?
    Also an arts museum with restaurant and shops are being planned for wick.

Robby50 has taped this programme.!
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast