Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WQS Surfing contest - Thurso

Default WQS Surfing contest - Thurso

Hey Guys

It all kicks off again tomorrow for the O'Neil surf contest in Thurso East.......really looking forward to it, only hope the conditions are favourable and I can get along to check these guys out. Always good to see something like this in our part of the World. If anyone gets the chance they should pop along...............

How long are they there for ?

I would like to see but would be weekend before I was free ?

I also don't know where I could park, or really where to go ?

The contest is on for a week. I think the preferred venue is Thurso east but if conditions are not good they will go along to Brimms Ness (turn right, a couple of miles out of Thurso on the Dounreay road, where they usually have banners set up on the roadside and follow the road down to the coast through a local farm) or another suitable venue along the coast. Last year there was an electronic display outside the Royal Hotel in Thurso which gave details of where/when the contest was on that day. Hope that helps.

Thanks so much bagpuss, that really helpful x

Forgot to mention in my earlier post. Caithness Horizons (Thurso town Hall) have a surf history art gallery on display during the surf contest. All kinds of boards with pretty cool art graphics/designs and a variety of other related surf stuff..........worth a look!!

All the info about this year's O'Neill Cold Water Classic can be found here:

http://www.coldwaterclassic.net/

Also check Magic Seaweed's surf reports - at the moment, Saturday's looking like the day to catch the best action:

http://magicseaweed.com/Thurso-Surf-Report/47/

Unfortunately it looks like the surf was'nt interested in showing up for the surfers today. Contest did not start. Hopefully conditions will improve for tomorrow and the rest of week.

According to the website they're surfing today, first heat starts 9.30am. Anyone know whether they're at Thurso East or Brims Ness? OH has a dentist appointment this morning so I'm hitching a lift!

The contest got underway around 9am this morning at Brims ness and finished up late afternoon. There were 10 heats completed (4 surfers in each heat and the heats last 30 mins) so still some first round heats to go as there are 128 surfers.

Went out in the afternoon and the conditions looked pretty good with a really strong offshore wind. Quality of surfing was great with lots of barrels, although they were breaking real fast a lot of the time, for the guys to ride through............Hoping that conditions continue to pick up and can't wait to catch some more of the action.

Just to let those know who might be interested. There is a thread in the photography forum for those that have put/want to put photos of the surf contest

Looking at the report, it looks like Wednesday will be fantastic for the finals if the contest is not done by then - 12 ft swell with light offshores for Thurso East.... looks good...
    P.S. if you want to see how good Thurso East gets take a look at this clip.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBPrUY6N2Xg
    In mitigation Mr Bruce de Wert said his client had been drinking and could remember little of the incident.

Quote Originally Posted by cullbucket View Post
    Looking at the report, it looks like Wednesday will be fantastic for the finals if the contest is not done by then - 12 ft swell with light offshores for Thurso East.... looks good...
    P.S. if you want to see how good Thurso East gets take a look at this clip.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBPrUY6N2Xg
    Thanks for the link cullbucket. Brilliant surfing conditions there. Let's hope they are as good this weekend.

Exclamation

how many mexican competitors are there in this event??? tony

Surely you're not talking about the flu?

You SWINE!

Quote Originally Posted by Tighsonas4 View Post
    how many mexican competitors are there in this event??? tony

According to JOG two.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Connor. View Post
    Surely you're not talking about the flu?

You SWINE!
    Lovin it !! Any one seen Balto? Last time I heard, she was eatin lots o icecream to cool her down..........
    PEACE LOVE LIGHT & HARMONY

Thumbs up sat 02 may 09

looks like thurso east for the morning if anyone intrested in coming down to the waterfront to watch or god forbit come over to thurso east and walk down to the waters edge....lol

Quote Originally Posted by chef4celebrations View Post
    looks like thurso east for the morning if anyone intrested in coming down to the waterfront to watch or god forbit come over to thurso east and walk down to the waters edge....lol
    will you be there with your chip van ??

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
    According to JOG two.
    if they sneeze with this wind direction its orkney that will get it tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast