Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breast feedin or bottle feeding?

Default Breast feedin or bottle feeding?

I've heard many people say how good breast feeding is over bottle feeding and i've been told by a mother of 4(breast feed one child, bottle feed the other 3) that it doesn't matter which one you do as it doesn't affect the child.
    We all know that its nature for women to breast feed but how many women actually do it? Through choice or being forced to by pushy midwives?
    Parents i know well have told me that when their second child came along the nurses were constanty asking now are you going to breast feed or bottle feed? His wife wanted to breast feed and on hearing this every nurse was delighted and went over the top with enthusasum(spelling) at how good it is.
    Its down to choice and i know already that i won't breast feed as really not comfortable with anything near mine.
    Does anyone know anyone who's become a victim of pushy midwives or feel its a good thing or have any pros to bottle feeding apart from that it allows mum a rest and dad or grandmother or grandfather to feed the bairn instead?

Its an odd thread, i know. but i'm sure some of you all ready know i'm randam anyway.
    Electronics, Sales, Spares & Repairs * TV * AUDIO * PC & LAPTOP * GAMES CONSOLES * IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT * DOMESTIC APPLIANCES * WEEE DISPOSAL *www.facebook.com/Vistravi.Tech * www.vistravi.com *

I breastfed both my kids. It was my choice. As soon as I knew I was pregnant there was no doubt in my mind that I would breastfeed. Breast is best in my opinion.
    People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will
    never forget how you made them feel.

I have done both. From when i found out i was pregnant i was determined to breast feed. I fed Athrun til he was about 6 weeks old. Expressed sometimes too but got mastitus (sp) and had alot of other problems due to not being shown how to latch him on. The pain became unbearable so in the end i stopped.

I never felt uncomfortable feeding infront of people. And i never feel uncomfortable with other people breast feeding infront of me.

When i changed athrun to the bottle he was not too fussed. It was me that was bothered. I felt i had lost the bond with him but nope, its still there! He is still a mummy's boy for sure!

If i have a 2nd child (in the future obviously) then i will try and get more support in feeding.

But everyone is different.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

My Wife Bottle both our sons, she did Not want to Breat Feed under any circumstances. Both of our Sons were fed on SMA Gold Cap and they thrived on it.

One is 34 Years and is a strapping 6 foot 1 inch and highly intelligent. The other son is a Strapping 6 foot 3 inches and even more intelligent. Both are Married to Lovely Girls and my Oldest has two of the most Beautiful Daughters you have ever seen. See Picture below.

On Saying that I still say that Breast Feeding is best but Bottle Feeding is not as bad as some would make out.

PS Both of my Sons Daughters were Breast Fed

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

I breast feed my son but had to stop after 2 months as I lost so much weight that was 11 years ago. Just had another son 4 weeks ago and Im breast feeding him aswell its going well. He also gets 2 bottles a day one at lunchtime and one for daddy to give him at bed time as hes a hungry boy. And Im trying to keep a bit of weight on that I gained in pregnancy. Its totally my choice to breast feed both times as I love the closeness bond that you get with feeding them. Its also got good health benefits for the mother and child.

i have breastfed all my 3 kids. i am very much for breast feeding.
    i do find it difficult to understand why a mother wouldnt breastfeed. if the mother is healthy and has a good diet then breast feeding is the best for baby. we were given breasts to feed our young, not for any other reason.
    so why not use them for that.

waiting for the backlash

Ok...some benefits of bottle feeding...I think bottle fed babies take longer to digest the milk than those that are breast fed, so need fed less often. Bottle feeding is perhaps more acceptable in public despite campaigns to change public perception. You at least know how much your baby is getting if they are bottle fed. The mother does not need to watch her diet for fear of consuming too many onions, orange juice, alcohol etc. Also for those on medication, you don't need to worry (any more than usual lol). Those big tins the baby milk comes in are awfully handy for storing things in :-) If you choose to bottle feed your baby, then your midwife (hopefully) will not ask to see your nipples lol. Ok I'm struggling to come up with any more...maybe someone else can though?

I did choose to breastfeed however, as the benefits do far outweigh the negatives...and purely because I'm of a lazy nature, and faffing aboot in the early hours of the morning did not appeal to me!

Midwives and nurses can be pushy if you let them. On the whole though, I found them very helpful and whilst in the hospital after having my baby, they were also very respectful of giving me space to try feeding myself without any 'helpful' interruptions. It is a choice though, and nobody should be made to feel guilty for their decision.

I think the main benefit of breastfeeding (for the baby) is the antibodies you're giving your child which boost their immune system - these are really concentrated in the colostrum which is what you produce before the milk comes in (on the 3rd or 4th day I think!), but also the milk has the same antibodies too. Plus breastmilk is designed especially for human babies - powdered cows milk is not, which is why it takes longer for babies to digest and sadly the tendency is to give the baby more than it's stomach is supposed to take at one sitting in the hopes that it will sleep longer and give them more peace!! But sometimes it just ends up giving them a sore stomach... However, with breast milk this isn't going to happen because the baby only drinks as much as it needs to drink - however long that takes is up to the baby! Plus bottle milk is always the same consistency, whereas the fore milk from the breast is relatively watery and thirst quenching but the hind milk is thicker and creamier with more fat and calcium, etc.
    As you've probably guessed I breast fed both my girls and would do it again if I had another one. I was never pushed into it by midwives or health visitors (in the Tain area) and had a lot of support when I needed it. I couldn't praise the NHS more highly in my experience, but I know other women have had different experiences and feel very sad about that. It's wrong for health professionals to force or push mothers into doing something they're not happy or comfortable with even though they know it's the best thing for them and their baby. At the end of the day it's a personal decision and should be left up to them entirely to make. If they decide one way or the other they should be given support as appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by emszxr View Post
    i have breastfed all my 3 kids. i am very much for breast feeding.
    i do find it difficult to understand why a mother wouldnt breastfeed. if the mother is healthy and has a good diet then breast feeding is the best for baby. we were given breasts to feed our young, not for any other reason.
    so why not use them for that.

waiting for the backlash
    Aye emszxr some wome are just blessed/cursed with big ones

I can see your point and your right about nature. But as a woman who won't be doing it due to personal choice and because i'm shy about showing my body off. I don't care when wearing a low cut topcos if you've got it flaunt it, but i wear leggings when i wear short skirts and won't let anyone other than other man apart from my partner see me without clothes and that counts the doctor as well. Has to be a female doctor for me. My firends would tell you i'm far from shy but i'm am when it comes to my body.
    Electronics, Sales, Spares & Repairs * TV * AUDIO * PC & LAPTOP * GAMES CONSOLES * IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT * DOMESTIC APPLIANCES * WEEE DISPOSAL *www.facebook.com/Vistravi.Tech * www.vistravi.com *

All your modesty will be out the window once you go through labour and childbirth

I have never seen more than a glimpse of flesh when anyone is breastfeeding, most folk are pretty discreet, so I wouldn't let the thought your body is going to be out on show put you off Vis.

I couldnt breast feed my first son as he was very early and in special care but I was encouraged to express to give him antibodies,went on to bottle feed.I decided to bottle feed my second son,just didnt feel comfortable doing it,but I felt the nurses looked down on me from then on.Both are now strong and well over six foot tall men,they did fine.Its very much a personal choice,baby wont benefit if you're stressed and not enjoying the time together,go with the flow!!

Quote Originally Posted by starry View Post
    I have never seen more than a glimpse of flesh when anyone is breastfeeding, most folk are pretty discreet, so I wouldn't let the thought your body is going to be out on show put you off Vis.

Have to agree with you starry, I was always discreet when feeding in front of other people. I didn't want to make them feel uncomfortable about seeing 'too much'. And I didn't want to needlessly embarras myself either!

Thumbs up

I can't see or understand how anyone could be offended by seeing a mother feeding her baby - feed away ladies! I would imagine that it warms most folk's heart to see it, it certainly does mine (breast fed for 14 months I believe and now a strapping 6-footer!) and in my experience it's always been done discreetly. Never heed!
    Last edited by daviddd; 15-Apr-09 at 20:34.
    Your vision will become clear
    Only when you look into your heart ....
    Who looks outside, dreams..
    Who looks inside, awakens.

I breast fed Lauren and I am still breast feeding Iona.
    I chose to do this because it has benefits for both the mother and the baby.
    Plus I couldnt be bothered with all the faffing around with making up bottles, sterilising equipment, heating up bottles and going through to the kitchen in the middle of the night to get a bottle business.

Just pick the babe up unclip bra and you are sorted!

Doesnt show off your boobs much at all but if embarassed wear a cardi or a shawl or drape a blankie or muslin over yourself when out and about!

Thumbs up Most definately breast

Fed my three kids untill they were all a year and I felt lost for weeks after I stopped. I would never force my opinions on any new Mothers as it is such a stressful time anyway but I feel that there is so much more benefits from breast feeding - cost, obviously cheaper, milk is already at the correct temperature, gives the baby all the antibodies they need to ward off illnesses, reduces the mothers risk of developing certain cancers, it brought me closer to my kids and it makes you sit down and relax for a while rather than rushing around and letting someone else feed them for you and night feeds were so easy.
    Obviously Dad can miss out but if you express, then he doesn't have to. I was always discreet feeding my kids, didn't see a thing, so both my modesty, along with the people around me were saved. Most importantly - it's natural
    Not great for a night out, went to a wedding once, had a few drams and the baby was conked for hours - not good. You have to be careful what you eat, gave him a serious dose of the skits when I had a curry and cauliflower isn't great either but it does develop your babies sense of taste, mine are all good eaters as they've had 'tasters' in their breast milk.
    I love a pregnant bump and I love seeing a mother feeding her baby, makes my hair stand on end and I would have had more if I could have !

I've spent a total of three and a half years breastfeeding and I am still feeding my son morning and night.

www.caithnessbreastfriends.org.uk has a wealth of information about breastfeeding and can offer support locally for new mums or anyone needing advice regarding breastfeeding, they have a 'Breastfeeding fone-a-friend directory' in operation so anyone can ring or meet up for a chat anytime.
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

I have very successfully breast fed three out of four of my babies, bottle feeding the last one as he WOULD NOT breast feed for anything. It matters not one iota which you do.The important thing is to have a happy mum and a happy and contented baby. Whichever you choose dont beat yourself up about it. if breast is best for the baby but making you sore, unhappy,worried and miserable then its not best at all. Whilst breast feeding does give baby the antibodies you have in your milk and is convenient ( ohhhhhhhh never to have to sterilise a bottle) and a wonderful closeness i dont beleive i missed out by having to feed my littleo ne with a bottle. He is healthy and happy and thats the important thing

i have breast feed all my kids, i am lucky i have never had a problem, i feel its a bonding time for mother and baby, i would never consider anything, else, and have alway known how i was going to feed my baby right from 1st finding out i was pregnant, so never had to suffer pushy midwifes lol.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

I was going to bottle feed until I came across a disapproving midwife in the end I breast fed and I must say it was the best thing I ever did, fed the wee one for 16 1/2 months (thanks), at first I was to shy to do it in front of folk but I soon got over that.
    Last edited by NLP; 16-Apr-09 at 09:57. Reason: thinking about it, it might be best to remove midwives name.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast