Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gender Inequality

Default Gender Inequality

When I was a kid not only was a womans place in the home but I also believed a womans place was in the home. Worse than that, many women also believed their place was in the home.
    Since then women have become more liberated although many still subserve to their husbands through reasons of culture or religion or for just plain practical purposes.
    Apparently though, their worth in the workplace is 17% lower than men for doing the same job.
    I wondered what the weemin on Caithness.org thought about this inequality.

Talking

Men are like parking spaces....All the best ones are already taken and the ones that are left are too small!!
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

unicorn Guest

CONNIE!!!!!!! wash your tongue as I pick myself up off the floor and dry my tears...........I liked it though....

On nights like this i wish I had a man though...Handy for taking the coal in!!
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber
    When I was a kid not only was a womans place in the home but I also believed a womans place was in the home. Worse than that, many women also believed their place was in the home.
    Since then women have become more liberated although many still subserve to their husbands through reasons of culture or religion or for just plain practical purposes.
    Apparently though, their worth in the workplace is 17% lower than men for doing the same job.
    I wondered what the weemin on Caithness.org thought about this inequality.
    I dont understand where this alleged figure of 17% comes from. I worked in the Civil Service for over 30 years, and there was no difference in pay between the sexes, and most of my line managers were female in the later third of my service. So females were not barred from promotion either.
    Since retiring, I have had two part time jobs, one with Asda & one with Sainsburys, and they are equal opportunities employers, ok not very good pay, but over the minimum wage barrier. So where does this 17% come from?
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Just think about how much your local council are haveing to pay in back money to their female workers and you will know where the 17% comes from the women have been under paid, although on same grade as men have been under paid for years
    Live life to the full, you only get one chance so make it count
    dont be to happy coz someone sure to shoot you down

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by golach
    So where does this 17% come from?
    I was quoting one of the main stories on all the news channels today Golach and didnt bother to check where it came from. I had a quick google when you asked your question and theres enough information there to choke a coo. Mind you if your saying that gender inequality doesnt exist feel free to post your reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by lassieinfife
    Just think about how much your local council are haveing to pay in back money to their female workers and you will know where the 17% comes from the women have been under paid, although on same grade as men have been under paid for years
    They must have been in a rubbish Union
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Probably going to get a verbal battering for this but here goes.

I work in a bar, and I can't believe the attitude of SOME men in Caithness, they are still under the impression that there place is in the pub and their women should be at home looking after the kids and cooking their dinner, and yes it is mostly the older generation who have been brought up like this but what gets me most is it seems to have filtered down to SOME of the younger generation too.

Most families I know have both parents working, women just as men hours as men, but the onus still seems to be on the mum to cook and clean, maybe it's something we have taken on ourselves cos we don't fancy burnt mince and tatties and all our whites turned pink...he he

Why do SOME men say they are babysitting their kids i.e on a sat night when the wife wants to go out, now tell me mothers do you ever say you have to stay in and babysit your own kids????
    Never squat with your spurs on!

Default Life

what a woman says:

come on....this place is a mess!
    you and i need to clean
    your pants are on the floor
    and you'll have no clothes
    if we don't do the laundry.

what a man hears:

come on....blah, blah, blah
    you and i...blah, blah, blah
    blah, blah..on the floor
    blah, blah, blah...no clothes
    blah,blah, blah...now

krieve Guest

Quote Originally Posted by angela5
    what a woman says:

come on....this place is a mess!
    you and i need to clean
    your pants are on the floor
    and you'll have no clothes
    if we don't do the laundry.

what a man hears:

come on....blah, blah, blah
    you and i...blah, blah, blah
    blah, blah..on the floor
    blah, blah, blah...no clothes
    blah,blah, blah...now
    good one angela lol

Talking

[quote=stargoes.Why do SOME men say they are babysitting their kids i.e on a sat night when the wife wants to go out, now tell me mothers do you ever say you have to stay in and babysit your own kids????[/quote]

Well said star

Anyway i work in the caring feild and have found that alot of the elderly people espically men on the odd occassion women think it,s a crime that you should go back to work after having kids.And when you try to explain to them why you go to work ie MONEY they seem to come over all confused stating oohhh you should be at home looking after your bairn cooking your mans dinner after all he,s done a hard day,s work i think to myself what the heck have i been doing all day but working.come on men equal opportunities now!!!!!

Barefoot in the winter and pregnant in the summer. Aye, they had it right in the old days when they hadn't even got bras to burn.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

best line I heard of...
    both parents are home from hard day at work, kids are running wild, dinner is just started on the stove.

Wife walks into living room where hubby is watching telly and having a beer, "If I dont have time to watch telly, YOU dont have time to watch telly". CLICK its off.
    LOL Sassy and I still snort over that one.

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber
    Worse than that, many women also believed their place was in the home.
    Many women still think that their place is in the home, my mother and my missus being two of them.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Default The "real story of the 3 bears"

It's a sunny morning in the big forest, and the bear family is just waking up.
    Baby bear goes downstairs and sits in his small chair at the table, he looks into his small bowl. "It's empty" he squeaks..
    Daddy bear arrives at the table and sits in his big chair, he looks into his big bowl, and its also empty, "Who's been eating my porridge" he roars.

Momma bear put her head through the serving hatch from the kitchen and yells " for petes sake, how many times do we need to go through this?

"it's momma bear who got up first"
    "its momma bear who woke everyone else up this morning"
    "its momma bear who made the coffee"
    "its momma bear who unloaded the dishwasher from last night"
    "its momma bear who went out in the cold early morning air to fetch the paper"
    "its momma bear who set the table"
    "its momma bear who put the cat out, cleaned the litter tray, filled the cats water bowl and food bowl".

And now you've decided to come downstairs and grace 'momma bear' with your presence......
    Listen good, cause i'm only going to say this once...I Haven't made the damn porridge yet..

krieve Guest

lol i love it go momma bear he he good one angela

wickerinca Guest

lol...good one, Angela!

Seriously I don't think that a woman's place is just in the home nowadays although I do object to woman that consider stay-at-home mothers to be inferior in some way. If you want to stay at home and raise your family then good for you........and if you have to go out to earn enough money to support your family then good for you too!

What I do object to is the inequality in pay. If two people are doing the same job, or have the same level of responsibility then why should the female person get paid less?

I think women have more than their fair share of equal rights these days. They get paid more than men and they get promoted faster than men these days because of their gender. Regardless of the propaganda of what you read about to the contrary, what they fail to point out is that, traditional female jobs are paid less, that is true, even if a man fills that role.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

wickerinca Guest

I can't really comment on that Rhrghead as I have been away from the workforce in Scotland for too long to have any idea on who gets paid what. I am not a part of the paid workforce in Canada so, again I wouldn't know the reality of pay equality...........it is only the 'idea' of the earnings difference that would bother me.

However I am interested in your assertion that women are promoted faster and earn more then men. Could you qualify this for me?

In the 70's I chose to train for a career that was considered to be a man's job and I did have some problems with some men that I had to interact with. However I was paid the same and was entitled to the same benefits although I do not remember getting any special treatment!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast