Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earth Hour

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Earth Hour

Are we all taking part in this ?

http://www.earthhour.org/about/

were going one further and switching off the lights, tv, pc and not boiling the kettle ... candles and wine instead

as the website says ... 'Switching off your lights is a vote for Earth, or leaving them on is a vote for global warming.'

i challenge all orgers reading this to switch off their pc for ONE HOUR !!
    no caithness.org between 8.30 and 9.30pm eeeek !!!

Nope. So I must be voting for global warming then.

Exclamation

can hardly get any heat in this house with the heating on
    have no intention of freezing to death tony

Quote Originally Posted by focus View Post

as the website says ... 'Switching off your lights is a vote for Earth, or leaving them on is a vote for global warming.'
    No, I don't subscribe to the WWF brand of political eco dictatorship. My policy is to do the opposite of whatever the WWF say because they're usually wrong about everything.

Does anyone remember the cuddly organisation called the World Wildlife Fund? They were taken over by extremists who were too extreme for Greenpeace or Friends of the Earth but they kept the cuddly logo to try to fool us all into supporting them. I know a few leading lights of the local WWF, they are the most extreme people I know.
    Last edited by crayola; 28-Mar-09 at 19:24.

5. Default

A little darkness wouldnt hurt,help my astronomy no end too.I dont subscribe to the eco warriors either.I have still to get an answer as to why the earth has gone through periods of global warming or climate change in the past,what caused it,could this all be a natural phenomenon,the earths rotation has a wobbly axis taking 26 000 years to complete the wobble.It only takes a few thousand miles variation in distance to give big temperature differences,look at the difference between the temp in the tropics to that of the UK.Could we just be a wee bit nearer the sun because of this wobble,it is the sun(or lack of it) after all which dictates our weather.It is surprising just how many in the astronomy community are not quite so ready to jump on the the"we must reduce our carbon emissions" soapbox,instead believing that it is a natural occurance and arethen accused sticking their heads in the sand by these so called "fiends of the earth".yes i missed the r out!!
    Last edited by Mystical Potato Head; 28-Mar-09 at 19:56.

well. im quite happy to turn all the lights off for an hour.. *G* just think.. ill be saving on my electric bill at the same time!
    http://itqueries.com/

And I'm with you brandy. Lights will be out in my Edinburgh home from 8:30 to 9:30.

Ah, that wine which focus suggests is sounding very good.

ohh i have a small bottle of red i bought weeks ago.. that is just enough for one.. (hubby on backs tonight) kids in bed, dog at my feet sipping away in peace and quite!
    http://itqueries.com/

are you hoping to spot another planet to live on when this one's goosed MPH ?

no matter if it's earth's natural cycle or man made, there's some certainties that can't be disputed, we need to reduce our co2 emissions and lessen our dependancy on non sustainable fuels.
    as far as the politics of wwf go, i am making a decision for what i believe in, i am not being dictated to be the extremists

My policy is to do the opposite of whatever the WWF say
    crayola, turn all your lights on then, that'll show em

oh and keep your heating on Tony, just turn the lights off !

http://www.earthhour.org/about/

were going one further and switching off the lights, tv, pc and not boiling the kettle ... candles and wine instead

Last year we did take part but had PC on and all were in the forum in candlelight including Bill do you mind Canuck ?
    Its nice to be nice

You are right Anne X. I had forgotten. We were in there last year with our candles on.

'Switching off your lights is a vote for Earth, or leaving them on is a vote for global warming.

Might just have gone for this one - save a bitty money - but not gonna be guilt tripped into anything, so our house will function (if what happens in our house can be classed as functioning) as normal
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

it's not a guilt trip, just a statement ...

such as 'if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem'

the decision is yours changilass, no-ones dictating to you or trying to make you feel bad

Just because I am not part of THEIR solution don't make me part of the problem. Switching my lights off for an hour aint gonna save the planet same as leaving them on aint gonna make it self destruct.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

good lord, educate yourself, the mind is like a parachute, it works better when its open

..... oh no wait, that's YOUR motto isn't it, i take it you just use it to sound groovy

read up on earth hour before making silly statements about the earth self destructing

Last edited by focus; 28-Mar-09 at 21:18.

I aint making any sillier comment than you so stop being so nasty just cos I won't agree with you.

good lord, educate yourself, the mind is like a parachute, it works better when its open

..... oh no wait, that's YOUR motto isn't it, i take it you just use it to sound groovy

read up on earth hour before making silly statements about the earth self destructing

I suppose that's the sort of petulant foot stamping response I expect from someone who has no answers. Nit-pick at spelling and attack the poster with sarcastic personal comments.

Am I the only one who actually knows some of these fanatics in the WWF?

Focus, switch off the Org for an hour ....Aye Right, ...WWF only are asking to switch lights off, thats what I am gonna do.
    Switch off the Org....Ridiculous!!!!!!!
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

switching off lights is fine but the telly with the scotland match on, phew dont think the OH or the oldest would be too impressed.
    no amount of darkness can drive out darkness
    only light can do that.

My feelings go out to the guys that run the National Grid; sitting at their control consoles watching to see who/where the drop in demand is going to be, and the subsequent huge demand as these folks put their lights etc back on.. stressful task!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast