Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ms, Miss or Mrs?

Smile Ms, Miss or Mrs?

I saw a story about the use of how us women should be addressed. Since the American feminists brought in the use use of Ms, what are you? I was once a Miss and now I'm a Mrs. I've never used Ms and would never think on using it.
    cape locum et fac vestigium

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie Campbell View Post
    I saw a story about the use of how us women should be addressed. Since the American feminists brought in the use use of Ms, what are you? I was once a Miss and now I'm a Mrs. I've never used Ms and would never think on using it.
    dont you just use the ms after you divorce.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

I am definately a MRS and very proud. Balto i do believe Ms is for divorced or seperated women.
    Unfortunately due to military up bringing i never had the opportunity of being a Miss, i was daughter of a number.

I started out a Miss M, then I was a Mrs C, then a Ms C after I separated from, and later divorced, my first husband as I kept his surname, but was no longer his wife.

Then a Mrs S when I remarried, and I'm still a Mrs S tho' I'm a widow now....with my third different surname.

What I really wish I'd done was kept my maiden name, MacLeod, throughout my life, and Ms would have done just fine. I am the same person, after all!

Talking

Have to confess I use Ms, when I'm unsure of a lady's marital status
    PEACE LOVE LIGHT & HARMONY

Quote Originally Posted by anneoctober View Post
    i always look at the ring finger before i address someone by title, if i get it wrong from that i can blame them for false clues.

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    i always look at the ring finger before i address someone by title, if i get it wrong from that i can blame them for false clues.
    lol Justine, you would get my daughter wrong then -she's married and is known as Mrs, but wears no wedding ring.

She has one, obviously, but just hates wearing rings and after struggling with it for quite a while, finally gave up and abandoned it. Her OH, on the other hand, wears his wedding ring with pride!

Tho' I'm widowed I still wear a wedding ring and would feel utterly bare and bereft without it.

Nice to have you back and posting.

I'm a Ms, and always will be, wild horses would not drag me to get married again.
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

I was a Miss then a Mrs, when seperated/divorced from first husband I used my own name but no prefix and now I am a Mrs again
    Images of Spain can be seen at valspages.com

Quote Originally Posted by anneoctober View Post

I agree with anneoctober, if writing to someone and I don't know the lady's marital status I would always use Ms.

In Perthshire where I spent some of my formative years, a term of endearment was "Wifie" , I think that covers all .
    You can have "Young Wifie, "Yon Wifie" and "Owld Wifie"
    Last edited by golach; 20-Mar-09 at 14:31.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    In Perthshire where I spent some of my formative years, a term of endearment was "Wifie" , I think that covers all .
    I like that!! Maybe we should all adopt these instead.
    cape locum et fac vestigium

I was a Miss B before i was married then a Mrs W when i was married then a Ms B after I was divorced and returned to my maiden name and now I am a Mrs L as i have remarried.

I dont think its too complicated altho the story about this did say how complicated it can be when applying for insurance or other things in person and on line.

I was Miss M,then Mrs C then Miss M again-then I was Mrs M and now I am Ms M Havent bothered going back to my own surname this time as it takes ages to fill in forms with all the names I have been known by!Try filing in a disclosure form with all that lot lol.To be honest I dont really like Ms(feel like a teacher) but feel calling myself Miss is a bit silly at my age and with such a "history" of marriage behind me.Oh and no i wont be changing it again...ever! x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

There is, and can only be, one 'Wifie' so for gawds sake PLEASE don't encourage any more of them into this world

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    There is, and can only be, one 'Wifie' so for gawds sake PLEASE don't encourage any more of them into this world
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Just a Miss, still waiting to be a Mrs...

Here is a page from Wikipedia on the use of Ms.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ms.
    (\__/)
    ( o.O) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (")_(") your signature, to help him gain World Domination.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    But Bob, which one is oor 'Wifie' ??
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

But Bob, which one is oor 'Wifie' ??
    The one with the beeg gob!

Ms looks ok in print but sounds just plain stupid to me when spoken.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast