Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starve or Feed HELP!!

Question Starve or Feed HELP!!

Must be a bad day for sick kids.

My 4 year old has had diarrheoa ( googled that ) since sunday and have been told that the best thing to do is to starve him... yesterday i gave him some boiled eggs and he threw these up not long after eating them.

then today he had a biscuit ( sneaky one ) and threw this up aswell.

whats the best thing to do with this as i have now been told to feed him as some of it will stay in.

Iv been giving him lots of water so he wont dehydrate, thats staying down fine.

Its breaking my heart starving him but hate seeing him throw up.. can anyone help?

Best thing to do is starve him to let his digestive system calm down a bit,give plenty of fluids though!No more than 24 hours though x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Try plain stuff - toast, crackers, chicken & rice. NO dairy products until back to normal. If he's not hungry though, then don't force it - he won't starve but will eat like a horse when he is better to make up for it!

My son had dioreha just before christmas. If you give him food you are just feeding the bug in his belly. It wont hurt him to go without food for a few days as long as he has plenty of water.
    A gentle stream can split a mountain, given enough time.

It does sound cruel but i would starve him, plenty of fluids but nothing to eat, hopefully he will be better soon.
    Live for today as u never no what tomorrow will bring..

I agree, starve him. It sounds cruel when I put it like that! But it will give his system a chance to beat the bug and as long as he's drinking plenty he should be fine.

I would say toast and plenty of liquid.

I was always advised to give kids yoghurt when stomach upsets like this occurred. My brother told me that the (good) bacteria from the stomach and lower intestine are killed off when such upsets occur and that the bacteria found in yoghurt helps to replace the bacteria lost in an upset stomach. Failing that he can keep yoghurt down, it's vitally important to remain hydrated and if you can get him to take Dioralyte or something similar, that should help. Trouble is that it tastes foul and my kids always hated it. Maybe he'll take an isotonic sports drink, which I think does pretty much the same thing but in less concentration.
    Blazing Sporrans
    "Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail...." Ralph Waldo Emerson

The best thing you can give the wee one is FLAT COKE............this will prevent dehydration and give him all he needs re salts and sugars etc.
    But make sure you shake all the gas out of the coke....it really is best and will give him a wee bit of taste as well.

This remedy is tried tested and will work till his tummy can take food.

Lots of cuddles for him too.

same thing with my boy couple weeks ago.. and dr. told me to starve him for 24 hrs. but to keep the fluids up.. basically when you feed him your feeding the bug as well!
    heres hoping to a fast recovery!
    http://itqueries.com/

Quote Originally Posted by alanabain View Post
    My 4 year old has had diarrheoa ( googled that )
    Your Google must be broken as it's spelt 'Diarrhoea', i wouldn't worry about it though, nobody knows how to spell it, it's one of the words that you're not meant to know the spelling of

I should have emphasised that if you're wanting to feed your child yoghurt, then opt for the probiotic type, not the ones with fruit or biscuits in (you know what I mean!). Bananas are always another staple for helping...
    Blazing Sporrans
    "Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail...." Ralph Waldo Emerson

If he's keeping some of the water down, that'll stop him dehydrating. Add a small pinch of salt and 5ml glucose to the water to replace his lost fluids. He should drink roughly 200ml per kg of body weight while he has the diarrhoea in any 24 hour period. Don't give him food and when he does feel hungry - always a good sign - only give him very small quantities. If he continues to vomit and has a temperature, take him to the doctor. Hope he gets well soon .
    cape locum et fac vestigium

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Your Google must be broken as it's spelt 'Diarrhoea', i wouldn't worry about it though, nobody knows how to spell it, it's one of the words that you're not meant to know the spelling of
    Could we no choost say " his bum is seek"??
    PEACE LOVE LIGHT & HARMONY

Starve him!! Lol! I told u that for days tho....but did u listen to the wise one...no!! lol!
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

a plain type of iced lolly might be a nice wee change for him and easy to sook on
    hope better soon!
    it's a sair fecht

router Guest

My 4 year old has had diarrheoa ( googled that ) since sunday and have been told that the best thing to do is to starve him... yesterday i gave him some boiled eggs and he threw these up not long after eating them.

whats the best thing to do with this as i have now been told to feed him as some of it will stay in.

Its breaking my heart starving him but hate seeing him throw up.. can anyone help?
    take him to your gp asking questions on here about childrens illness is pointless ,the first port of call for any parent with a sick child is your health centre not a .org forum

Quote Originally Posted by router View Post
    take him to your gp asking questions on here about childrens illness is pointless ,the first port of call for any parent with a sick child is your health centre not a .org forum
    Em to me i thought it was a parents choice! Seeking advice is ok...aint it!
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Starve - won't do 'im any harm. But do keep up with the water - he'll be losing loads. Once he's recovered he'll let you know and something like a soup will be a good start. My mom always started with chicken noodle and then worked up to oxtail soup.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Teenybash is right about the flat coke good for maintaining electrolytes must be the full fat stuff. But after this many days I think you should consult your GP. Fluids are more important than food so if he's not keeping anything down pointless feeding him.
    Hope he gets better soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast