Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Family Tree Builder

Default Family Tree Builder

Hi

I am looking for advice on the best program to build a family tree. I am on Genes Reunited and the program they use is fantastic, but printing it out is another matter. It is over 6 pages (if you are lucky!!).

Can anyone recommend a program?

The Loafer
    Tally ho with a bing and a bong and a buzz-buzz-buzz

Family Tree Maker is excellent, I've been using it for years. It does cost though, but its not dear.

Smile Family Tree Builder

I agree with both of you! Been using FTM and its very easy to use and Genes Reunited is good to regards robyn
    Looking for Bain, Mowat(t), from Keiss-by-Wick

I agree with the others, I've only ever used FTM, and I love it, it's very straightforward, and there are so many different display options. One thing, though, depending on where you live (if you're in the US, this is a non-issue), but when I got mine, I bought the only one that was in the shops I went to, which I assumed was the only FTM package that was sold. It had all of these extra discs concerning the US that were of no use to me whatsoever, and I realised later that had I shopped around, or bought online, I could have gotten a cheaper version that had FTM and nothing additional, which was all I needed. Just something to consider.

Good luck with finding a program right for you.

Regards,
    Kristy

I have been using Legacy for a long, long time . I have tried FTM and others but went back to Legacy. The basic version is a free download and if you like it the Pro version is quite reasonably priced. Highly recommend.

Smile

Thanks for all your help folks, it is much appreciated.

The Loafer
    Tally ho with a bing and a bong and a buzz-buzz-buzz

Hi Loafer,
    If printing is your main priority then a program I like is Oxy-Gen from www.oxy-gen-soft.net. It is not a tree builder, but give it a Gedcom file and your options are many. It's also free.
    A free and easy to use 'builder' is Genius Family Tree. It used to be shareware but the author recently released it as freeware.
    When you try Oxy-Gen I suggest the 'Lite' version first which means no world/country maps and town data.

Enjoy

BJM.
    ---[BJM

Good site
    Thanks for link
    Tricia