Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Iceland a possible for woolies sites??

Question Iceland a possible for woolies sites??

Have just read on AOL news page that Iceland has bought over 2500 woolies stores, do you think Thurso and Wick will get Iceland and would this be a good thing? Not personally being a big fan of frozen food I think it would be of little advantage to me, but may be good for the town centre areas as at the mo it is all a bit depressing seeing the former woolies lying empty and sets a bad scene for tourists and encourages the already active minority to further vandalise the town! If they do come they will provide needed jobs and a source of cheap frozen stuff for those who like that kind of thing!

Just to have the empty shops being used will be better than derelict buildings. No matter who takes over the store it will not please everyone. An Iceland store I could cope with.
    Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Farmfoods or Matalan would be my favourite.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Default oops

Oops did not read new article right...said they bought 51 stores and would have a possible 2500 jobs! a bit of a difference that sorry everyone!

List of Woolworth store bought by Iceland

Alton, Barnsley, Belper, Bethnal Green, Bexhill On Sea, Bicester, Billericay, Blandford Forum, Bodmin, Boreham Wood, Bow, Braintree, Broadstairs, Devizes, Exmouth, Fraserburgh, Frome, Greenford, Hackney, Hailsham, Harold Hill, Haverhill, Herne Bay, Hexham, Highgate, Honiton, Kilburn High Road, Leyton, Malvern, Matlock, Mill Hill, Minehead, Monmouth, Morpeth, Morriston, Newtownards, Palmers Green, Pinner (Rayner's Lane), Palmers Green, Plumstead, Pontypool, Poplar, Portslade, Ringwood, St Neots, Stoke Newington, Strood, Sudbury, Swaffham, Wakefield, Wallington, Whitstable

Quality

I don't even think they could buy the Wick one as the building was supposedly rented not owned by Woolies. Anyone able to clarify this?

Default Iceland

Iceland have already looked @ the Wick /Thurso EX Woolies shop but unsuitable for them they say

Wonder what they mean by unsuitable? Because they wont make as much money as the others..........or am I just turning into an old cynic?

binbob Guest

Default iceland

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy@watten View Post
    Have just read on AOL news page that Iceland has bought over 2500 woolies stores, do you think Thurso and Wick will get Iceland and would this be a good thing? Not personally being a big fan of frozen food I think it would be of little advantage to me, but may be good for the town centre areas as at the mo it is all a bit depressing seeing the former woolies lying empty and sets a bad scene for tourists and encourages the already active minority to further vandalise the town! If they do come they will provide needed jobs and a source of cheap frozen stuff for those who like that kind of thing!

iceland sell more than frozen food..and i prefer them to farmfoods....quality is not as good as iceland,it is nearly 8 years since i was in an iceland shop...

Default Oops

Oops did not read new article right...said they bought 51 stores and would have a possible 2500 jobs! a bit of a difference that sorry everyone!
    Thanks for the correction Kathy, I was about to get busy on google.

suitability of an iceland store would proberbly take into account its model for success and not sure a three story building without on sight parking and easy loading would be what they would be loking for.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

It would be good in as much as there is need for such a store in Wick and in Thurso, it would also be good if those who lost their jobs through the demise of woolworth's, were to be offered a new position in the shop.

I realise frozen food is not everyone's ideal but for many in very remote areas, it could very well be a godsend, most especially, if it cuts the journeys into town, and with the recession biting, fewer visits to the shops etc.

it would be great to see iceland up here ..i been up here nearly 8yrs now and i still miss having an iceland near by.. i used to shop there all the time..
    SMILE IT CONFUSES PEOPLE

Quote Originally Posted by weeksider View Post
    Iceland have already looked @ the Wick /Thurso EX Woolies shop but unsuitable for them they say
    And you know this because?
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

Default me too

i would like an iceland here also, i prefer them to farmfoods, plus it will fill up and empty shop and create jobs, but dont think we are on the list

Quote Originally Posted by igglepiggle View Post
    i would like an iceland here also, i prefer them to farmfoods, plus it will fill up and empty shop and create jobs, but dont think we are on the list

i would love this is aswell, especially the job opportunities... im currently looking for a job for when the wee one goes into P1 but there isnt anything at all up here
    ELVIS ISN'T DEAD I HEARD HIM ON THE RADIO

I'd rather have matalan instead of iceland. It's the best place to get cheap clothes and looking at the thurso and wick stores matalan or sumthing like it would work better cos iceland would be wanting a big car park and the one in the market square isn't big enough.

Quote Originally Posted by balto View Post
    And you know this because?
    It'll be because the car park between the 99p shop and the empty woolies store is too small. Iceland will be wanting their own car park and a big one. the one in the market square isn't big enough.

Quote Originally Posted by binbob View Post
    iceland sell more than frozen food..and i prefer them to farmfoods....quality is not as good as iceland,it is nearly 8 years since i was in an iceland shop...

I went to Iceland about 5 years ago, I found there was too many geysers there.

No way should we have an Iceland. Look what it did to Kerry Katona!

I would like to see a nice decent priced clothes shop! All ranges! I am sick of going into Mackays with a lack of mens clothing for my partner, fashionable clothes for myself, and decent prices for baby clothes!! I paid £12 for baby grows just because i was desperate for a few newborn sizes and woolies had none at the time!

I dont want to have to go to to wick tesco just to get clothes!! I have no transport through all the time! And online clothes can be rather expensive!

So bring us a good clothes shop!
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast