Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acid Reflux

Default Acid Reflux

Can anyone recommend a quick, reliable medication for Reflux? I hate the liquid type Gaviscon and my gag reflexes kick in just at the sight of the stuff.
    I'm off on me hols at the end of the week and I constantly get Reflux and don't want it to ruin my holiday.
    Anything that works quick, this is really cheesing me off now. I'm sooooo blooming tired but there's no way i can go to bed
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Go see your doc and see if he will prescribe omazeprol (sp?) its the only thing that works for me and its great.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Changi's given you good advice there, a prescription for Omeprazole is indeed what you tummy needs.
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

I can't stand the liquids either and I never go to the Doctor unless something is falling off, so I buy Remegel. Anything chalky makes me gag, so they hit the spot just nicely
    Currently reading:- The tea leaves

My partener takes omeprazole and its the only thing that works for him.

Comes in several strengths too from the doctor depending on how bad you get it.

I am pregnant so can't use it..... take the chalky rennies instead

If you prefer non-prescription go to Sandy Manson at Reid's the Chemists and ask for a non-brand liquid mixture such as magnesium hydroxide or trisilicate or similar. Much cheaper but still have the effective ingredients....and they are very effective.

Check that they are ok with prescribed medication if you take any....
    Last edited by Torvaig; 05-Jan-09 at 01:12.

I take Nexium, 1 tablet daily, it's the only thing that properly works to control excess stomach acid, get your doctor to prescribe it.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100004304.html

I'll try to get in at the docs before I go away cos this is bloomin awful.
    I've suffered from it for many years and I've always assumed that it's caused by my medication as it is listed as a side effect.
    Until I get in I'll have to try a remedy from the chemist, perhaps I'll try the Remegel as I too cannot stand the chalky stuff.
    Thanks you guys for the help.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

I doubt if Remegel will be strong enough for you, sounds like you have the same problem as me and only a prescription remedy is likely to help, even with the Nexium mine still flares up from time to time and the only over the counter remedy that has any kind of effect is Gaviscon Dual Action tablets, they are mint flavoured and not at all chalky, a bit like an old fashioned mint sweet.

BicarbonaTE SODA always works and is usually found in a kitchen cupboard.
    Ha ha...I must stop using that word "found"!!!!!!!!!!
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

half teaspoon bicarbonate of soda in half glass of water works well. Have you tried figuring out if any particular foods trigger the reflux? Tomato sauce, anything with vinegar in it, citrus? Then you could avoid those foods and feel better without medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo View Post
    Can anyone recommend a quick, reliable medication for Reflux? I hate the liquid type Gaviscon and my gag reflexes kick in just at the sight of the stuff.
    I'm off on me hols at the end of the week and I constantly get Reflux and don't want it to ruin my holiday.
    Anything that works quick, this is really cheesing me off now. I'm sooooo blooming tired but there's no way i can go to bed
    Oh my i know how u feel! I had major acid reflux when i was pregnant! Not nice at all! And i gag at the sight of gaviscon too! I used the gaviscon tablets and they did not taste too bad! I couldnt have anything else really because of the pregnancy so i had to make do with them....they helped rather quick but did not last long.
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

If you want something that will work quickly without going to doc.....Boots, Tesco will have heart burn remedy tablets....look in the ingredients for RANITIDINE or as in the chemist. You can take up to two tabs a day each giving you 12 hours relief.
    You can also get ranitidine on prescription if you need a stronger dosage than otc.

Try a Dairylea triangle (or own brand), sounds odd but does work if you don't/can't/won't take medicines.
    But have to agree about Omeprazole, have NEVER had a problem since being prescribed it when it came out a few years ago.

Did anyone else notice this ad at the top of the page? Oh the irony!!

"I cured my acid reflux"
    Behold the turtle - he only ever gets anywhere by sticking his neck out...

Quote Originally Posted by AfternoonDelight View Post
    Did anyone else notice this ad at the top of the page? Oh the irony!!

"I cured my acid reflux"

Excellent stuff, did not notice!!
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

I have very bad reflux anything I eat will cause it. I take omeprazole, but I also have to take peptac aswell even though I hate the taste of aniseed but its better than the peppermint. One good thing is peptac is way cheaper than Gaviscon but just as effective.

Best to ask the Doctor.

I have suffered reflux for years probably more than 20 plus and was on various prescriptions and used to swallow Zantac by the dozen.

Last year I stopped drinking coffee and within a few weeks my relux vanished!! if you eat and drink less rick food you can control reflux dont eat large quantities dont eat after 6pm and above all avoid coffee (I still took some alchohol not giving everyting up)

fatty food brings it on for me, whilst Rennies get rid of it very quickly.
    Your vision will become clear
    Only when you look into your heart ....
    Who looks outside, dreams..
    Who looks inside, awakens.

Default Tablets

I used to get the Losec tablets ( called Omepresole now ) from the Doc but stopped drinking so much coffee and eating rich foods which helped.
    However....as I like my coffee and curries etc again I now buy the Tesco Ranitadine tablets ( £1.60 ish ) and they do the trick.
    Price is good and no visit to Doc required

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast