Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Still Life

Default Still Life

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

2. Default

Still life's are not my sort of thing but i have to say the colours are beautiful.
    Last edited by Mystical Potato Head; 04-Jan-09 at 10:55.

Thumbs up

Well it certainly is my thing and I like it! Well done Rheghead; a great still life....hope you have more.....

The fossil on the right needs movin over or down a bit but I love the light!

Thumbs up

Hello Rheghead, I love the colours. The only suggestion I would make is to crop some (just a bit) of the outer regions of the photo - maybe make it not quite so in the middle. Phantastic photo though.
    Things that go bump in the night generally have been influenced by a Siamese

Another attempt at still-life but I'm not quite as happy with this one, my background was too dark and I used a different light source and yet I used the same camera settings.

Last edited by Rheghead; 06-Jan-09 at 01:07.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Quote Originally Posted by wifie View Post

The fossil on the right needs movin over or down a bit but I love the light!
    I agree, wifie. It's a very good composition, Rheghead, but it would look more balanced if that fossil on the right was moved. I'd say down a bit, then over to the right a bit. The objects have a good relationship with one another - i.e. the circular shapes of the fossils with the roundness of cat ornament, and the rectangular box with the almost rectangular bottle, and the squares on the cushion. Interesting backdrop too. It helps give the photo a painting like quality, as does the bottle. The blue and purple tones really pull everything together nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post

Another attempt at still-life but I'm not quite as happy with this one, my background was too dark and I used a different light source and yet I used the same camera settings.
    Yes, you definitely need a more interesting background, Rheggers. Something lighter, with colour and texture. I would also suggest replacing the plastic toys with wooden toys, if you can. That would be more in keeping with the old fashioned look of the oil lamp and rag doll. You might want to try the photo in sepia, and see how it looks.

Keep them coming Rheghead - practice makes perfect. Good to see something different and some photographic experimentation.
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

I like the surreality aspect and the lighting of no1. Great idea Rheghead!

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post

hi rheggers - glad to see you're 'still live' . sorry, no capital letters atm.

the chiaroscuro effect in your photo is quite spooky , and reminded me of this painting by joseph wright 1734-97
    http://www.artfund.org/artwork/5789/...ing-the-kitten

Smile hmmm ...

Nope, I don't think it's too dark. It looks really good to me. I hope the doll is not flammable.

Now I must be away to watch "Progrock" - yeah!
    Things that go bump in the night generally have been influenced by a Siamese