Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Nice news item

Default Nice news item

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/7809031.stm

A store owner fancied the day off so he left the shop open with an honesty box. Go to the link to see the outcome.

cant imagine that happening up here

And if he'd been robbed we would have had absolutely zero sympathy for, it would have been a case of..serves him right for being so bloody stupid.

proves a point though most people are honest and it's only a few that let it down. We used to do and honesty box for fresh eggs and plants etc from our croft with a 99.9% sucess rate.
    Mind you would probably not do it with a shop.
    Live and let live
    Life is too short

I think it’s a good story.

I’m sure temptation would have been there.... but the people respected the shopkeeper enough to leave the money.

It’s different from hearing about a shop that got burgled that happens so often...this doesn’t

OMG! Cant believe that! Tis mental that is!

Can you imagine Tesco or the coop havin a sign on the door like that! They would be cleared out!! From booze to fags....chickens til veg! Lol!

That is really cool tho that people were honest enuf to leave the money!
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

Settle is just a small market town with a less-than-2,500 population.

I would thoroughly suspect that everyone there knows everyone else, they don't have marauding gangs of out of control teenagers prowling the streets and they have little to do with drug gangs or ram-raiders.

In such circumstances, this story isn't really surprising or amazing in the least. In reality, it'd be like old Horne's shop on Olrig Street doing something similar. A small, but loyal customer base, and they'd do exactly the same.

This really is a non-story.
    Last edited by Metalattakk; 04-Jan-09 at 05:50.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

he would not try that in wick,cause they would fleece him of anything that was in that shop.but its nice to know that he had trust in his customers.

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
    he would not try that in wick,cause they would fleece him of anything that was in that shop.but its nice to know that he had trust in his customers.
    Wouldnt try it in Thurso either!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post

I would thoroughly suspect that everyone there knows everyone else, they don't have marauding gangs of out of control teenagers prowling the streets and they have little to do with drug gangs or ram-raiders.

In such circumstances, this story isn't really surprising or amazing in the least. In reality, it'd be like old Horne's shop on Olrig Street doing something similar. A small, but loyal customer base, and they'd do exactly the same.

Dont agree.... even in the smallest of places there can be 1 untrustworthy person who might try their luck

Thurso and Wick have small populations and still have enough crime to have several articles in the papers each week.

Quote Originally Posted by alanabain View Post
    Dont agree.... even in the smallest of places there can be 1 untrustworthy person who might try their luck

Thurso and Wick have small populations and still have enough crime to have several articles in the papers each week.
    Too true! Its sad how much crime we hear of here tho!
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!

i once superglued a onepound coin on my windowsill,it was a right laugh watching people going past and noticing it then struggling to get it off then giving up.made for a very entertaining afternoon!

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
    i once superglued a onepound coin on my windowsill,it was a right laugh watching people going past and noticing it then struggling to get it off then giving up.made for a very entertaining afternoon!
    Haha i wont ask what made you think of that idea lol

well it brightened up a really dull day,still laugh about it now.you should try it!

They do that on a prog called "Just for Laughs", they superglue a pound coin to the pavement and film the people walking past, noticing it and trying to pick it up. Then they let them know they were being filmed! Talk about looking sheepish!!! Not that I would pass a pound coin by in the street if I saw it!! Me and my OH once fought over a £2 coin we saw lying on the path in front of us. Thankfully I got there first!!! He'd never have heard the end of it anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post

There was an attempted ram raid at homebase the other night. Thief used a scooter though. Police are looking for a male with a broken nose!!!!

Default honesty box

Down in Aberdeenshire at the end of a long farm road we were suprised to find a wee farm stall with tatties and neeps and home produced honey for sale with an honesty jar and we stopped and got some lovely fresh stuff and paid for it and we spoke of it for years.....sometimes it does good to see the good in the mass majority other than the misdemeanors of a minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy@watten View Post
    Down in Aberdeenshire at the end of a long farm road we were suprised to find a wee farm stall with tatties and neeps and home produced honey for sale with an honesty jar and we stopped and got some lovely fresh stuff and paid for it and we spoke of it for years.....sometimes it does good to see the good in the mass majority other than the misdemeanors of a minority.
    Well said!!

This was one of my my Uncle Stanley's favourite stories. One year in the 1950s he visited friends in Norway. That summer had been very pleasant, and everyone with apple trees had a great crop. His friends told him they had so many apples they couldn't get rid of them, so one evening they left a wheelbarrow in the street with a big pile of apples and a note saying "Help yourself". Next day the apples were in a pile on the ground, and the wheelbarrow was gone!

Quote Originally Posted by George Brims View Post
    This was one of my my Uncle Stanley's favourite stories. One year in the 1950s he visited friends in Norway. That summer had been very pleasant, and everyone with apple trees had a great crop. His friends told him they had so many apples they couldn't get rid of them, so one evening they left a wheelbarrow in the street with a big pile of apples and a note saying "Help yourself". Next day the apples were in a pile on the ground, and the wheelbarrow was gone!
    hahaha! That is funny! Poor guy gettin his wheelbarrow taken tho!

Wonder if i stuck my OH out on a wheelbarrow...what would people take! I would take the wheelbarrow!
    I SWORE ON ONE THREAD!
    GET OVER IT!!!!!