Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: A second road bridge in Thurso

Thumbs up A second road bridge in Thurso

I think we should have a second road bridge in Thurso either passing the dammies turning left on Sir Archibald road crossing the river or removing the service foot bridge in the Mall and replacing it with a road bridge so you could drive through the Mall. So one of the two foot bridges needs replacing to a road bridge, traffic can get very heavy some times on the main road bridge in Thurso so a second bridge would ease a lot of congestion in the town centre.
    Last edited by Eagleclaw68; 30-Dec-08 at 17:36.

In my opinion its not the bridge thats the problem, its the stupid traffic lights systems that need changed, i'll not start on the poor system in the town centre but the lights at tesco's are a lot of what causes the congestion.
    Obviously another bridge would help slightly but its the traffic lights that i blame. Also more people should walk or use bikes

I would want the whole council sacked if they agreed to a new bridge..

You do not spend thousands just to stave off a 5 min wait when there is other more pressing things to do with the budget ... like sorting out our schools for instance.

We don't do congestion up here, a trip to any city will prove this to you lol
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

yea congestion is a little harsh a word for the traffic up here.

Let me see now, MMMMM, The longest time I have been stuck on the Bridge is about 4 to 5 minutes. Not exactly a Traffic Jam or congestion.

A second bridge is not needed and would be just a complete waste of Public Funds which could be spent on far better projects, such as Education or Health Care.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Agree with the comments on the need to look again at the traffic lights outside Tesco. Hopefully, this will get sorted out when they build their new store on the mart site...

Better traffic management opposite Tesco and at the St. John Square would be a better solution. The 'queues' only exist because of the traffic light arrangement. A couple of roundabouts?

Default A second road bridge in Thurso

To cut the congestion at certain times, could be rectified if Dounreay were to split the start and finish times of there staff, do not need to explain, if you have been in Thurso, when there has been a line of traffic going all the way back, and over the top of Scrabster.
    Not a touch on what it was years ago, but not really necessary now.

Most would be solved by this NEW Bypass road that people have been talking for 10 years or more comming form BT area up by High Ormilie.

Will it ever happen ????

Quote Originally Posted by M R View Post
    Most would be solved by this NEW Bypass road that people have been talking for 10 years or more comming form BT area up by High Ormilie.

Will it ever happen ????
    So where does the traffic go after leaving Ormlie in the afternoon? Most will head down towards the bridge. Doh! Or do I misunderstand you?

Does anyone really think a bypass will be built now? Surely when Dounreay was in it's heyday the traffic was heavier? With the rundown of Dounreay there will be no need for a bypass, unless gold or diamonds are discovered in them thar hills.

But what do I know, just giving my tuppence-worth.

The traffic lights need their timings sorted , that's all !

Could we not use trams instead?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleclaw68 View Post
    I think we should have a second road bridge in Thurso either passing the dammies turning left on Sir Archibald road crossing the river or removing the service foot bridge in the Mall and replacing it with a road bridge so you could drive through the Mall. So one of the two foot bridges needs replacing to a road bridge, traffic can get very heavy some times on the main road bridge in Thurso so a second bridge would ease a lot of congestion in the town centre.
    What an utterly ridiculous suggestion! Coming from someone who states that they live in Orkney even more fatuous!