Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Polish Student Selling Paintings

Default Polish Student Selling Paintings

Has anyone else had a Polish student with paintings to sell on their doorstep? Don't know whether he was genuine or if it is some sort of scam.

Default polish students

yep we had polish student trying same scam in clyth today.

Scam?? i bought a lovely painting today and i'm delighted, bargain aswell.

they were in wick tonight trying to sell paintings for £12 or give them £3 to help with their studys..it was a female that was at our door

yeh, a young kiddie was at my brother's house this afternoon, handed me a card sayin who he was and why he was there, very polite chap. didny buy a pic tho, as heard that there was a scam such as this goin round? skint anyways.

hows it a scam???you are seeing what you are buying, there going out and doing something in this cold weather too.

Exclamation polish students

I'm sorry if i offend anyone here i really dont mean to and first off let me say i give to lots of charities but it really does make me wonder how you can think its not a scam, I mean why on earth would there suddenly be a large amount of polish students pushbiking and walking around wick selling paintings then if you dont buy the painting asking for money? Its either a scam or they must all be very good telepathic artists who can draw and paint the same pictures who go to the prestegious art college at wick or thurso! Sorry again if I come across as quite hard, but my money was hard enough to come by to be parted with it on such a lame scam! Oh and just to make sure that we cant ask them any questions they cant speak English - yeah right!
    But as a side note I do feel sorry for the poor folk cycling and walking around trying to flog the pictures cos they will probably be being ripped off themselves by whoever is organising them!

A polish peddler came to my door as well with drawings of cute dogs and cats. He gave me his card and his expanation. I briefly looked at the drawings and thought 'No Way!' I am one of those annoying people that can draw well without going to art school so I told him that I wasn't interested and he went on his way. If he was selling something else then I might of bought it, may be something quintissential from Poland perhaps?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

last time they came to my house ,i said no thanks 2 minutes later i was on my way to shop round the corner ,seen her getting watched by 2 guys in a flashy bmw then once out off shop they picked her up ,so they must be doing alright for having a bmw.

£10 for the picture was nothing to me, a weeks wage to them.

They were on Skye a few months ago,didnt stay long seemed to be passing through.
    I've heard they've got a wee community network base in Inverness

Unhappy Polish Students Selling Paintings

If the sellor got the whole £10 in would be OK, but I expect they get a meagre percentage of the sale. The big boys will be reaping the rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by pedromcgrory
    last time they came to my house ,i said no thanks 2 minutes later i was on my way to shop round the corner ,seen her getting watched by 2 guys in a flashy bmw then once out off shop they picked her up ,so they must be doing alright for having a bmw.
    That's assuming the doorstep callers own the BMW though. They may simply be students trying to earn a living, working for a tiny fraction of what the BMW owner is getting.

There has to be something up with this i think as when my sis was in Poland she said just about everyone, esp children and teenageers had excellent english.

We had a Polish bloke knocking on our door at lunchtime trying to sell paintings, but we declined.
    As one door shuts, another one slams in your face.

Quote Originally Posted by a.smith
    hows it a scam???you are seeing what you are buying, there going out and doing something in this cold weather too.
    ok. They are poor. They have to paint or draw to earn money to pay for their education. They can afford the fare to scotland. they must stay somewhere. hotel? B & B? And where do they study? Interesting they hand you a card - so they don't speak english? Handy that as you won't be able to ask them any questions. but if you're happy with the picture, fine. I'd lay odds tho that it is not an origonal - and that there are a few thousand more just the same making the rounds!
    I had them last yeaR!
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Talking

I had them at the door yesterday............didnt buy anything from them..........couldnt afford it and didnt need it, when I told him No thankyou he immediately dropped the price from £10 to £7, I Dont really buy the sob story, my own instincts told me somehow that it wasnt genuine.........could be wrong though

Quote Originally Posted by Geo
    That's assuming the doorstep callers own the BMW though. They may simply be students trying to earn a living, working for a tiny fraction of what the BMW owner is getting.
    theres other ways dont see any other students going door to door .do you? pound signs in there eyes ,at all come here 6 months ,door to door cheap paintings etc ,mugs who buy maybe 40 doors a day etc ,say at 1£ a painting 7 days a week ,wotever they raise in that time multiple it bye 7 when they go home nice easy money i say ,

kopsay sluga na varim dupek , cant say wot it means might offend you and others

I had them at my door a few months back in Thurso. He handed me his card with the information on it and my instinct said something wasnt quite right so i declided. I watched him and he went to every house in the street. Not sure if he was genuine or not but i usually go with my instinct.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast