Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Lawrence of Arabia the enigma.

Default Lawrence of Arabia the enigma.

Having read "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom," several times, watched the not totally historically accurate film many more and followed several documentaries both trying to prove and disprove his achievements I am still left in a quandry.
    Was the man a brilliant visionary.a mere dreamer,verging on insanity or just a geat exponent of guerilla warfare?
    Was it inevitable that he had to be side lined when The Turks finally surrendered and the political masters carved up what we now know as The Middle East leaving him isolated with his vision of an arab nation?

Default Lawrence of Arabia

Have been fascinated by this fellow since I touched his RAF medical records in my late teens - had heard about him before this but history began to come alive and have some meaning that day on the outskirts of London when I saw the documents.

I do believe he was an extreme exponent of guerrilla warfare, verging on the cusp of insanity and had fantastic foresight verging on being a visionary.

Folk often say Churchill was insane and a visionary - I understand they now believe he was manic depressive or bi-polar. He was also I understand at times verging on the cusp of insanity, maybe the visionary part is being able to see things in a completely different way, having the belief in yourself and your capability to carry your 'vision' through to successful conclusion.

Lawrence of Arabia ideas and achievements are incredible when you look back at the conditions, equipment, manpower - belief in self goes a very long way here.

A lofty thread to which I can contribute little beyond acknowledging the mans fine taste in motor-cycles. A Brough Superior I believe, riding which on country lanes in Dorset led to his untimely death.
    Last edited by percy toboggan; 30-Nov-08 at 16:37. Reason: after consideration I preferred 'untimely' to 'premature'

Default Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by percy toboggan View Post
    A lofty thread to which I can contribute little beyond acknowledging the mans fine taste in motor-cycles. A Brough Superior I believe, riding which on country lanes in Dorset led to his untimely death.
    I didn't know Peter O Toole had died.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    Having read "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom," several times, watched the not totally historically accurate film many more and followed several documentaries both trying to prove and disprove his achievements I am still left in a quandry.
    Was the man a brilliant visionary.a mere dreamer,verging on insanity or just a geat exponent of guerilla warfare?
    Was it inevitable that he had to be side lined when The Turks finally surrendered and the political masters carved up what we now know as The Middle East leaving him isolated with his vision of an arab nation?
    I don't know much about laurence of Arabia but I knew a man who did. He often remarked that Laurences big abilty was being able to think like an Arab. The Arabs respected him and by the time he had sold his vision to the Arabs, his political masters had already stabbed him in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by percy toboggan View Post

Yes he was killed on it eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    He was a little bit of all four as is often the case with great leaders. They seem to have that extra 'something' that we as mere mortals lack.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ;
    Was the man a brilliant visionary.a mere dreamer,verging on insanity or just a geat exponent of guerilla warfare.....
    I'm not sure LIZZ. I've not read the book - yet - but I did spend some time exploring some links about the man (when I should have been doing something else).