Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Disabled Parking Penalty

Default Disabled Parking Penalty

Been down here in Lancashire for a bit and took a trip over to St Annes on the Sea and parked up in a disabled space, making sure my blue 'Highland Council' issued Blue Badge was in the correct position (I also get Road Tax exemption, so 'Disabled' is on the tax disk). we come back to the car half an hour later and find a 'Penalty Charge Notice' stuck on the windscreen - some 'Jobsworth' stating; "Your clock is missing"..
    Well I don't have a bloody clock (as is with all of Scotland) so I've got to fork out £70 or £35 if I pay up quickly.. Seems totally moronic that had I parked without a disabled badge OR a tax exampt disk I would still be done for the same amount..
    Being a cripple ain't much fun and as I was trained by Lancashire Fire Service at Washington Hall before getting knackered legs and moving to Scotland 20years ago, I'm not impressed with the Morons who work for Lancs Council who don't have an ounce of common sense..

Appeal? why? I did not follow the 'rules' so tough!
    Last edited by bekisman; 01-Dec-08 at 10:21.

Could you not have gotten a clock so you would have been legal???
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"Could you not have gotten a clock so you would have been legal??? "

Where? I live in Highland region where clocks don't exist, I was unaware that the English system made them mandatory, where do I get one? My point was that although it was bleeding obvious I am disabled my lack of clock is treated as very serious..

Sorry but when in Rome and all that. From what I remember it does say on the notices that clocks must be visible. Unfortunately, they are well within their rights to expect you to follow rules, why should you get away with it when locals don't.

May seem a bitty harsh, but Scotland and England have different rules on a number of things, and its up to us to work out what we can and can't do, just the same as it would be if we were going abroad.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Question

To help me understand...what is the "clock" you speak of, and why do you have to have one?

In England you have a cardboard clock with hands that you set to the time it is when you leave your car (a bit like the ones you use to teach kids the time), its so that the traffic wardens know how long you have been there.

Ah right, I see. If the same system isn't used here, would you not have the right to some sort of appeal (as a visitor)?

If you are going to appeal, it might be a good idea to see if they will still allow you to pay the reduced amount after the appeal, if not it may not be worth it.

The main problem would be if there was a sign near where you parked, stating that you must have your clock visible, if so you probably don't stand a chance.

Goldie Guest

Hi there bekisman just to say same happened to my husband. We didn't realise that we had to display a clock either. We wrote to the address at the back of the ticket expaining that Scotland don't issue the clock display card. We recieved a letter back saying they had withdrawn the fine and apologised for the inconvience. It is a pain as most parking wardens are aware and will accept a badge with no clock if they see the badge is issued (which is stamped on the badge) in Scotland. So it will be worth you sending a letter with a photo copy of your badge as proof explaining the Scottish system. If you want any help give me a shout. Good Luck (we have now got a clock display card ready for our next visit!)

I think they should fine disabled people for parking in the parking spaces of the able-bodied.

binbob Guest

Default disabled parking

Quote Originally Posted by TBH View Post
    I think they should fine disabled people for parking in the parking spaces of the able-bodied.
    u are sick..and sad...

We had a similar problem and we spoke to the highland council who issued my blue badge and they supplied me with a clock for use when I travel down south
    Live and let live
    Life is too short

Goldie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TBH View Post

To be honest TBH! the percentage of disabled parking spaces in car parks are very low -So sometimes there is no choice but to use spaces that are not marked for the disabled badge holder - some car parks do charge you if you are in a space that is not put in place for disabled badge holders - so that will please you!

Non badge holders can be fined for using the disabled space so if there were more disabled parking spaces - leaving less space for non-badge holders wouldn't that make you cross if the disabled spaces were empty and you couldn't park!!

By the way I have never met a disabled badge holder that wouldn't trade in their badge if they could trade in their disability and their pain to go with it!

So to be honest TBH think before you type!!!

Hi,
    Any form of parking in Lancs is hardwork, just hailed from there about 18 month back.
    The Wardens are now some sort of independent company, and no longer fall under the Police / council.
    They have targets to meet and I believe also get paid (or did) in some shape or form based on the number of tickets they issue.

I have to say they are most definately sneaky and jobsworth in their behaviour, many a time you can watch them hiding round a corner or even in bushes, they fill out the ticket then promptly walk past the "offending" vehicle and slap it on.

They can walk past the same car day in day out, with a permit in place for residents parking, but should it fall on the floor, get displayed upside down or such like you can guarantee a ticket within minutes.

It is worth appealing though, as from time to time they will overturn a decision and I would have thought this was as good a candidate for appeal as any. My parking permit fell on the floor when a draft caught it as I shut the car door, 5 minutes later the penalty notice was on the window, I managed to get that one overturned so its definately worth a go.

As an aside, I know washington hall, and it is still a sight to see the plumes of black smoke when they are training, looks like armageddon. Bet you were keen to come back here though O.P, nothing much good down there anymore.

May I ask what is the point of the badge? Are you limited to time constraints of car parks too? I thought the whole point of disabled badges was you could park where and when you wanted.

I really sympathise with you getting a ticket, I can imagine your heart sinking when you realised you had got one, just another example of the petty beurocracy throughout England and Scotland, please do appeal and perhaps a letter to Watchdog.

Quote Originally Posted by binbob View Post
    u are sick..and sad...
    I don't feel particularly sad at the moment but thanks for the adjective. Please explain why you think I am sick?

Goldie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wifie View Post
    May I ask what is the point of the badge? Are you limited to time constraints of car parks too? I thought the whole point of disabled badges was you could park where and when you wanted.

Hi there wifie - The badge comes with a whole set of do's and dont's and whilst it gives a great help there are restrictions. However the badge is a great help.

Bekisman,

Appeal definitely.
    What Chaniglass says about there being notices telling you to set your clock is only partially correct. These signs are not displayed everywhere...in fact I would say that the majority of disabled bays make no reference to clocks.

Goldie's experience echoes that of an acquantance of mine, so get yer appeal in.

Yes I forgot to say - appeal appeal!

Thanks Goldie!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast