Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beaches

Default Beaches

Having seen the recent BBC series 'Coast' and generally mulling over the consequences of the nuclear facility at Dounreay I want to ask a question.

Would anyone in Caithness avoid nearby beaches because of the possibility of nuclear contamination?

I'm asking an honest question because I have no idea what local feeling is. Would you/are you happy for your children to play on the beaches closest to Dounreay?

I'm not trying to whip anything up just genuinely interested to know.The locals tend to know best in my opinion.

If this is covered in other threads, forgive me - though I'd appreciate a link - thanks.

i wouldnt personally be happy about children playing on Dunnet beach as there have been radioactive particles found there in the past, and it is always being closley monitored.
    A balanced diet is a cake in each hand.

not worried at all - and i don't work for UKAEA....

No problem for me - I used to go surfing at sandside all the time, probably wouldnt take the kids to sandside now, theres much nicer beaches out west anyway...
    In mitigation Mr Bruce de Wert said his client had been drinking and could remember little of the incident.

knightofeth Guest

Yes, I would be happy to allow kids to play on sandside, however as cullbucket says I would rather go out west as the beaches are a lot nicer. Nothing to do with the particles though, they don't worry me.

The problem for me is, what is a 'radioactive particle'? I know very little about what the particles being found are actually radiating.

I was exposed to radioactive particles for all my teenage years and well into my twenties. Most if my generation were also exposed and the particles wre usually within a few millimetres of our skin for hours every day.

The particles were on the face of something called a luminous wristwatch. The radioactive particles were what made it glow in the dark, hence the question, what is a 'radioactive particle'?

What nobody ever says, in layman’s terms, just what the extent of the danger is and without knowing that they might as well tell me they have found an explosive.
    Is it a lost firework from bonfire night or an old Second World War Sea Mine stuffed to the brim with enough explosives to cause damage for a mile around.

Until somebody gives a calm, sane and honest answer everything is guesswork. You make your guess and you follow your choice.
    One thing I am certain of is that I've never had to climb over a pile of bodies to get to any of the beaches.

Oh yes, I am assured that it is still safe to shake me by the hand, my wrist is definitely not radioactive!
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Can someone tell me what their cause for concern is that surrounds the radioactive particles?
    Last edited by Rheghead; 27-Jan-06 at 00:19.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead
    Can someone tell me what their cause for concern is that surrounds the radioactive particles?
    radioactive = bad
    non-radioactive = good

thats how the media portrays it anyway....
    You get what you give

Quote Originally Posted by SAVEY
    radioactive = bad
    non-radioactive = good
    It can also be

non-radioactive = bad
    radioactive = good

So a serious question then (cos I don't know a lot about it) are the radioactive particles on Reay Beach and Dunnet beach bad or good or neither?
    You get what you give

I could be wrong, but I dont think any of the particles found on the beaches round here have been dangerous.

It doesnt put me off going to the beach anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by The Enigma
    I could be wrong, but I dont think any of the particles found on the beaches round here have been dangerous.

It doesnt put me off going to the beach anyway.
    No me neither....I'm just curious.
    If Dounreay is the source of the particles, how did they get there?
    You get what you give

So a serious question then (cos I don't know a lot about it) are the radioactive particles on Reay Beach and Dunnet beach bad or good or neither?
    Well for me they are good.

I have the beach to myself invariably other than maybe some surfers and fellow dogwalkers. I can enjoy my birdwatching in peace and enjoy the solice of the place.

jjc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by landmarker
    Would anyone in Caithness avoid nearby beaches because of the possibility of nuclear contamination?
    Nope, not me.

Well for me they are good.

I have the beach to myself invariably other than maybe some surfers and fellow dogwalkers. I can enjoy my birdwatching in peace and enjoy the solice of the place.

So they do no harm to the enviroment?
    You get what you give

No me neither....I'm just curious.
    If Dounreay is the source of the particles, how did they get there?
    I guess they get into the sea at Dounreay and the tide carries them round to the beaches?

So they do no harm to the enviroment?
    I don't think they do.

I don't think they do.

Well alright then.

Reiss Beach on a moonlit night is amazing.....in fact any time day or night no matter the weather: its a great place to be.
    Dunnet Beach is great fun, loads of wee flat fish (not their official name) in the shallows. They shoot about if you paddle too near them!
    Reay Beach I've never been too.

Out west.....well don't start me!
    You get what you give

Well alright then.

Reiss Beach on a moonlit night is amazing.....in fact any time day or night no matter the weather: its a great place to be.
    Dunnet Beach is great fun, loads of wee flat fish (not their official name) in the shallows. They shoot about if you paddle too near them!
    Reay Beach I've never been too.

Out west.....well don't start me!
    Sandside beach is one of the most beautiful beaches on the north coast. Moonlight night there is absolutely amazing as well. I used to go bass fishing there until I went veggie and they were a good size most of the time. Out west they have better beaches that I agree, but we are comparing Monet's early period with his middle period aren't we?

Sandside beach is one of the most beautiful beaches on the north coast. Moonlight night there is absolutely amazing as well. I used to go bass fishing there until I went veggie and they were a good size most of the time. Out west they have better beaches that I agree, but we are comparing Monet's early period with his middle period aren't we?
    A Beach is a beach is a beach! And you can quote me on that! Science has proved that the natural sounds of the sea are calming to the mind, as well as wind through trees, a babbling burn etc.

I quote a budding poet...."so where's the real romance today? A rocky cove and sandy bay!" Can't remember the rest....
    I did try to go to Sandside once, but I was met with a big sign about "Foot and Mouth" that's a few years ago......I'll take a run up on your recommendation....
    You get what you give

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast