Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does a 13 year old realise the consequences.

Default Does a 13 year old realise the consequences.

On the news this morning its been reported that a 13 year old has won the right to refuse a transplant operation.

Apparntly the child protection officer on her case backed her decision.The health board wanted permission from the courts to go ahead with a heart transplant.

The girl in question wanted to die with dignity and not run the risk of a failed heart transpant and a life on medication.

This feels vey personal to me as my own daughter was born with a hole in her heart and had her life saving operation at 9 months.
    If giving different circumstances and she had to make the decision now at 13 I would be devastated if she said no.

What do other Orgers think?
    Can a child of 13 know that she wants to die?
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Default Let them choose

I disagree, if my child was of that age and realised the consequences of her decision then I would say its up to them. This does not mean I would be happy but his/her quality of life would be of paramount importance.

I would encourage them to choose as long as I felt they fully understood what they were doing.

A child is said to know right from wrong in law at the age of ten so by 13 they should be well aware.
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

binbob Guest

Default 13 year old decision

i really think it is up to her..she has developed the heart problem due to the effects of her chemotherapy for leukaemia.
    she has been in hospital over the last 9 years...........poor girl has just had enough of suffering.

we surely ALL have the right to choose.i thought hannah was very mature for her young age.i hope she does not suffer too much and god bless her.

From what has been reported it would seem that her chances of surviving the operation are not that good so that's why she has refused it, the poor girl has just had enough of hospitals and operations.

Good to see that sense has prevailed, lets hope others her age will not have to go through the same in order to have their opinions taken seriously.

Everyone should have the right to die with dignity.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

It wasnt reported on ceefax that her chances of survival were slim or that she was suffering from lukemia.

Its still a very mature decision to make for a 13 but I can understand her decision to say she's had eneogh now.

What a brave wee girl. She has obviously thought it through and knows her prognosis. Her decision may also be helping another child who might get the heart which would go to her.

Have so much respect for her.

I would respect her choice, I think 13 is old enough to decide.

Though very, very sad this young soul has been dealt some grim cards.
    Heartbreaking, though it must be I would think the choice she has made will have been with the help of parents, family and doctors, all taking into consideration the risks of the transplant itself and also the chance her leukemia could return..........When she passes from this life to the next may she go with love in her heart to a place of everlasting peace.....God Bless you wee one.

What a lovely post teeny, you said just what I was thinking but couldn't put into words.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by starry View Post
    What a lovely post teeny, you said just what I was thinking but couldn't put into words.
    amen to that last two posts tony

I agree with all previous posts. Poor poor brave girl.
    (Sad story but nice to see all orgers agreeing on it.)

Your heart goes out to her----is just a phrase-comfy one of course-but the decisions this little one is is making-God bless her heart-are record breaking. At least I think so. No she is not old -able enough to make such a tremendous decision on her own.-Who said she was on her own? Not me, -but it seems to me that anyone who is pointing her in that direction needs looking at. Thats my uptake of it .

I agree with all the posts to date.

If my offspring at that age had ever been in the position of having to make that decision, I'd have accepted (if not agreed with it), and spent the rest of their time on this earth making memories for those left behind.

i dina agree....in ma opinion she shouldna be allowed til make at decision.

people o' a sane, mature mind isna allowed til control when they live an die an' nor should a minor.

she should be brave an battle on...
    Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
    Blessed Be...

Quote Originally Posted by trix View Post
    i dina agree....in ma opinion she shouldna be allowed til make at decision.

people o' a sane, mature mind isna allowed til control when they live an die an' nor should a minor.

she should be brave an battle on...
    Dinna be stupid, she knows the pain she has been in, she also knows it is not the perfect answer, having a transplant is not as easy as many would think, she has chosen as far as I am concerned, to do what she hopes will be the less painful way
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Dinna be stupid
    dina call me stupid...

im entitled til ma opinion. i think it should be against 'e law for a minor til make 'at decision.
    Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
    Blessed Be...

Quote Originally Posted by trix View Post
    i think it should be against 'e law for a minor til make 'at decision.
    Why?

I must say I have always been of the opinion that parents who put children through a procedure with less than an optimum chance of success with the prospect of the rest of their lives on drugs if it is successful are not really thinking of the child, but more of how they'd feel if the child died.

Imo, if a child is old enough to understand the prognosis, the options and the consequences....then they are old enough to decide what they want to do about it.

Being a minor is irrelevant, because nobody owns anyone else once they reach the age of reason........which can often be younger than 13.......and often a lot older.

Having heard the details of the girls illnesses over the years I happen to agree with her decision. Even if the transplant is successful she will have to be on a different set of drugs for the rest of her life - it wouldn't "cure" her.

However the question is: is a 13 year old enough to make such a decision? I'm amused that that this decision was allowed, yet she would have been denited the ability to choose whether or not to have sex.
    Rockchick

Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so (Douglas Adams)

Quote Originally Posted by rockchick View Post
    Having heard the details of the girls illnesses over the years I happen to agree with her decision. Even if the transplant is successful she will have to be on a different set of drugs for the rest of her life - it wouldn't "cure" her.

However the question is: is a 13 year old enough to make such a decision? I'm amused that that this decision was allowed, yet she would have been denited the ability to choose whether or not to have sex.

Thats a very good point Rockchick.
    In the eyes of the law she cant vote,buy alcohol,have sex or marry but she can choose to die.
    I now can understand why she would want too but a 13 can see life totally different to an adult.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast