Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: Do you buy "local" ?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes 100% from local for FRESH foods

17 17.00%
  • Yes to a degree,but not always

41 41.00%
  • Sometimes it varies

24 24.00%
  • Just use supermarkets

12 12.00%
  • Use another source

1 1.00%
  • Dont care

5 5.00%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you buy fresh foods locally?

Post Do you buy fresh foods locally?

Ther has been a bit of interest recently about "local" shopping.
    Just wondering how other orgers shop. Not being nosy! Just curious as to what percentage still use Butchers,fishmongers etc.
    Last edited by hotrod4; 06-Nov-08 at 16:18.

I buy most of my meat from the butchers , all fish from the fishmongers , eggs i get from my father in laws hens , jam from his neigbour everything else from the supermarkets.

I go to the butchers and fish shop all the time. I buy free range eggs when I can and have been growing my own veg. I haven't shopped in Tesco or co-op for a long time. I buy staples from Lidl. I sometimes go to veg shop in the victorian market in Inverness when I'm there. I try to buy fresh and local as much as I can.

When I lived in Scotland I used butcher and supermarket was not a much of a fish eater other than the chippie

When I lived in England I used both butcher/market and supermarkets for meat and fish.

Now I am in Spain, we use a butcher occasionally (not many been found yet ) supermarkets for fish also one in particular has a superb selection.
    Images of Spain can be seen at valspages.com

I get my eggs locally, free range of course. I only buy sausages and bones for the dog from the butchers, everything else I'm afraid is from a supermarket.
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

If it don't come out of the garden it comes out of either tesco or lidle.

If its a special occasion or we have a bitty extra money, then its bews butchers for fillet steak and black pudding.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

All my meat comes from the butcher, in Wick the butcher is great, better produce than a supermarket, competative prices and you know where the meat is coming from.

Bakers get my trade also, my only wish is that there was a dedicated fruit and veg shop. Tesco only gets our trade for everyday items like shampoo's and such products, also i have found that lidl have a far better quality of veg than Tesco.
    Last edited by Solus; 06-Nov-08 at 17:55.

All my meat and some veg comes from Donalds butchers in Latheronwheel - best butcher ever! Waiting for the hens to start laying then we'll have our own eggs and going to get my veg plot going next year.

Only ever go into Lidl for bits and bobs. Would rather always buy from a local shop than go into a big store.

Homegrown veg/handpicked fruit and local meat tastes so much better than anything from a supermarket!
    treat others as you would want to be treated yourself

Always buy meat from farm shops (there are a few round about us here in Perthshire). Used to use a good butchers in town but it has gotten very big and the quality is just not there any more sadly! Eggs are free range from the farm shops also - they are marvelous. I would like to use a good bakers but they are all chains and supermarket is probably a bit cheaper. Fruit and veg is mixed - depends what looks nice and where it comes from. I like the farmers' markets in Edinburgh and Perth - great range of products and mostly friendly, knowledgable staff.

There was a report in the paper recently about a new shop in Wick which sells local produce - I think it's in the old Lunch Box shop somewhere near the Library?
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Default Re fresh local food

We are producers and are finding great difficulty in selling locally,
    we ourselves buy direct from the producer where possible,
    We do buy dairy products from shops but other than that we make our own.
    We are somewhat surprised that more of the locals do not appear to be at all interested in utilizing the larder on their door step, or the abundance of wild food.

We are surrounded by natural resources but few use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss View Post
    We are producers and are finding great difficulty in selling locally,
    we ourselves buy direct from the producer where possible,
    We do buy dairy products from shops but other than that we make our own.
    We are somewhat surprised that more of the locals do not appear to be at all interested in utilizing the larder on their door step, or the abundance of wild food.

We are surrounded by natural resources but few use them.
    Have you tried contacting whoever runs the saturday market in Wick? They may be able to help with a stall etc.Or if its veg etc then maybe a butcher may buy some.
    TBH I think the reason that alot buy meat etc from supermarkets is down to it being "all under one roof". As now most high streets dont have butcher,fishmonger baker close together.I think it also has alot to do with people dont have alot of time or money to shop around,its a pity but just the way the world is.

I buy most of my stuff from supermarket, except meat i get from the butcher. Occasionally get bread and rolls from bakers

Default Local, local, local.

I buy my bread from Reids Bakers

Butcher meat from Bews Butcher - fresh eggs from here too supplied by Mrs Todd of Hoy. Bews also have a wonderful range of special groceries.

Fish from the fish shop in middle of town - I can't remember what name it has now.

I also go out to Halkirk to the shop there where they have some excellent produce - their Coleslaw is to die for.

For all other things I use both of the supermarkets in Thurso.

Fresh meat from the local butcher is the best especially our butcher in wick
    I am not a fish person and have to rely on supermarket for the veg we dont grow.
    I think it is always false economy to buy cut price from the supermarket as quality is compromised.
    Live and let live
    Life is too short

Most of my veg comes from lidl......I don't eat 4 legged meat and usually buy chicken from supermarket.........but can do without it easily.
    Next year plan to grow all my own veg and my hens supply all the eggs I need.

Thumbs up Local foods

Always buy my meat from the butchers, and local neeps and tatties. Bakers for my rolls and a cake or 2! Have bought eggs from the market on the street on a Saturday and they are lovely what a difference the yolks are a really bright orange compared 2 the supermarket ones!

Buy all butcher meat from local butcher, cut and weight as I require, also eggs, tatties, neeps and some veg. Other fruit, veg and cheese from supermarket as they have larger selection. Buy all fish from local shops. Milk also from supermarket as all local milk goes south to be processed, no longer any local suppliers.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

Default Re fresh local food

Hotrod4,

Thank you for the tip on the Saturday Market in Wick, we shall certainly give that some thought.
    Is it a Farmer's market?

All of my meat comes from local butchers so we know where it comes from, fish bought from the fish shops in Thurso, we have hens and a good veg garden this year, but I will never buy a "neep" from Tesco's again! I buy them from the butchers now since I bought one from Tesco and it was awful, I had to pick it all out of a pan of soup it was so bad! Threw it all away then. Local is definately best. I think that Boss should contact locel butchers as well.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast