Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we too multi-cultural?

Default Are we too multi-cultural?

Went to Inversnekie this week and was shocked at what I found.
    Went to Burger King and was served by a Polish girl who got my order way wrong because she couldnt grasp the English language.
    headed to Primark where I was served by another polish girl.
    headed to Pundstretchers and once again was served by a pole.
    Visited poundland and same again was served by another pole!
    Finally had something to eat at Morrisons and was served by a Nigerian and then had my food served by yet another pole!
    Bought some groceries and way and behold yet another pole served me!!

Maybe they should rename the "eastgate" the Eastern european gate!

I'm all for integration but at what cost? I wasnt served by a local throughout my whole shopping trip. I cant understand how an employer can give someone a job if they can barely speak our language. How does the interview take place? With a translator?

With unemployment reaching 2 million why are business' still employing foreigners over locals?
    They have a right to live and work here like the locals but why are they getting preferential treatment over locals? I would think that they should take priority over foreign nationals but that would be racism right! But the other way round its being "PC".????

It is an absolute sham the way this country is going

Some of the jobs you described sound like minimum wage jobs. Any employer will want the best staff, so I can only assume that they were the best (or only) applicants - which says a lot.
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell people everything you know

Foreigners are employed because too many nationals prefer being paid not to work. Doh!
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

I don't think we are too Multi Cultural, if we were not, how would I be able to enjoy Hungarian Goulash, Indian, Thai and Bangladeshi Curries, Italian Pizza's and Mexican tortilla's,Chinese Chop Suey, even Reubens Sandwiches
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

So who is going to do these jobs if the immigrants don't. I would tell people on the social take these jobs or go without.

Quote Originally Posted by stansmith View Post
    So who is going to do these jobs if the immigrants don't. I would tell people on the social take these jobs or go without.
    Who is to say that locals on the social never applied for the jobs?
    Its too easy to blame people on the social but if they get turned down for johnny foreigner what hope have they?
    It just doesnt make sense that employers employ people with limited english but turn down locals because they arent qualified!!!

We are far too liberal.

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    I don't think we are too Multi Cultural, if we were not, how would I be able to enjoy Hungarian Goulash, Indian, Thai and Bangladeshi Curries, Italian Pizza's and Mexican tortilla's,Chinese Chop Suey, even Reubens Sandwiches
    Dont mind Indian food but Goulash is just plain stinking and wrong on so many levels!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod4 View Post
    Its too easy to blame people on the social but if they get turned down for johnny foreigner what hope have they?
    It just doesnt make sense that employers employ people with limited english but turn down locals because they arent qualified!!!

We are far too liberal.
    Most employers want to succeed. I can't see why they would not have chosen the best applicant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Most employers want to succeed. I can't see why they would not have chosen the best applicant.
    Not all the time.
    Alot of companies (larger ones) insist on having a certain percentage of ethinic employees.
    If you were up against a west indian for example and they need another one for their qouta, the west indian would get the job not you even if you can speak english and they cant!

Last night television news was accompanied by clips of a London street. Thronged with people, few of them with a Cockney Grandad.Whilst the ethnic make up did not make me feel queasy I was offended.

It takes a lot to offend me. About a million in the last ten years would do it.

It seems the world has turned up on my doorstep without so much as a by your leave. No manifesto proposals, no consultation, no nowt.

The item was in connection with the admirable Phil Woolas, one of a rare breed...for he is a Government Minister who seems to know what the broad mass of people want him to do. Curb immigration from outside the European Union to an absolute minimum.

Hotrod - a nation cannot be 'too' multi-cultural...it's either multi-cultural or it isn't. We need a multi ethnic mono culture with those who wish to retain links with their homeland in the form of worship and dress to be allowed to do so without pushing it into the mainstream and expecting 'British' culture to bend in acommodation. For instance multiple translation of council notices etc. End it...if you're upset or dis-advantaged learn English or take a hike.
    Last edited by percy toboggan; 19-Oct-08 at 14:05.

Not all the time.
    Alot of companies (larger ones) insist on having a certain percentage of ethinic employees.
    If you were up against a west indian for example and they need another one for their qouta, the west indian would get the job not you even if you can speak english and they cant!
    I am surprised and disappointed that "positive discrimination" is still going on. I thought most counties realised it was not a great idea years ago.

Unfortunately, most minimum wage jobs do not pay enough to make it worthwhile to come off benefits. People without permanent residency here are not entitled to benefits, so would be more likely to accept these positions.

From another point of view, I'm sure there were other workers there who were British, but they didn't stick out in your memory as that would be "normal" and not noteworty. Only the ones that were different would be memorable to you.
    Rockchick

Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so (Douglas Adams)

We are far too liberal.
    You are telling me that given the choice between a national and foreigner equally able, emplyers are prefering to have the foreigners front theior businesses? Really???? Think....please think!
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

Those who prefer to sit at home whilst foreigners do the low waged jobs are hopefully in for a shock anytime soon.

Benefits (after a twelve month period) should be withdrawn from anyone under the age of thirty five who is claiming to have a 'mental condition' unless they are willing to be placed in a residential hospital - they used to call them 'loony bins' I'm afraid....for it's not a nice term.

Anyone, even a young person suffering from 'depression' can flip a burger or clear up dead leaves. No work - no money!

Those claiming more physical restrictions should be rigorously tested, to the point of entrapment if necessary. As one who has always worked. recently in the face of some physical adversity I think it's high time the country got tougher on the lazy swines who see work as an optional extra. The very fact that we have to import workers who are happy to come here and make a few quid (before hopefully returning home) should be the spur which is needed for a Government to re-inflict the work ethic onto those who have opted out. Nobody...I repeat nobody should be allowed to languish on the dole for longer than three months without performing some kind of task in return for their weekly subsistence cheque.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ju_ View Post
    You are telling me that given the choice between a national and foreigner equally able, emplyers are prefering to have the foreigners front theior businesses? Really???? Think....please think!
    It is a well known fact that business tend to try and have a large "mixture" of non british people to reflect modern society.
    Why even the "met" are aiming for higher numbers of people from ethnic backgrounds to "balance the books".

What makes it more annoying was the fact that the girl in Burger King was asking for my order in Polish to another polish worker! Surely as an employee in Inverness the least we should expect is for them to speak in English as I find it annoying and dis-respectful for them to talk in their native tongue as for all i know they could've been calling me anything!!!

If I was in Poland or Latvia and suddenly, because my country became a member EU state, I was allowed to come over here and earn better money (even if it was flipping burgers), I'd be here like a shot. So I can't really criticise them.

They said on the radio yesterday that many Eastern Europeans are now returning to their own country, either because of the credit crunch and hard times, or because the grass here is not so green after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilter View Post
    If I was in Poland or Latvia and suddenly, because my country became a member EU state, I was allowed to come over here and earn better money (even if it was flipping burgers), I'd be here like a shot. So I can't really criticise them.

They said on the radio yesterday that many Eastern Europeans are now returning to their own country, either because of the credit crunch and hard times, or because the grass here is not so green after all.
    They were screaming out for poles to return home.,as they didnt have enough skilled workers in the building Industry to build the stadiums for the Euro championships.

"They are only doing the jobs that no-one else wants". That's the biggest fallacy of them all. Even businesses that have had no trouble recruiting locally, are slowly replacing their work-force with Eastern Europeans, why is that I wonder?
    Is right that a British tradesman or woman should happily watch as his/her wages are driven down with the influx of cheap labour?. Why should they work for a wage lower than what they are used to just to be able to compete for a job in their own country. How can they ever compete with a worker from Eastern Europe that sees the minimum wage in Britain as a fortune compared to what they could earn at home.

I will admit I have not looked into the skilled worker issue. However the example that started the thread were all minimum wage jobs.

I can only speak from what I have seen and know. When I was an employer, many ' local british' people would not apply for certain types of work. They saw it as menial and low paid, beneath them Retail/Catering heading the list.

Here in Spain I have become friends with a few Polish people and can honestly say that are very hard working and honest. One lady works 7 dyas a week with very long hours ie 8 am till 2 am sometimes the following morning, depending on what is needed. She is friendly to all customers and a very good spanish speaker. As are the others I have met and know.

We the British have 'invaded' and 'taken' over areas of other countries, wanting/having British food/ways language only spoken, bit of pot and kettle situation.

I do believe that too many immigrants have been allowed into UK, the government has allowed this situation to arise and is now looking for ways to redress the balance.
    Images of Spain can be seen at valspages.com

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast