Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Erudition, fancy ideas and long words

Default Erudition, fancy ideas and long words

Over the past couple of days, three separate Orgers have, apropos of nothing, seen fit to mock my prose and choice of words. Not actually to comment on my argument, but to praise ignorance over knowledge.

It's particularly rich as, I'm sure, at least one of this triumvirate of witlessness, semi-literacy and venom, this week, took the line that no dissent over moderation decisions is justified and that the forums aren't here as personal soapboxes. Furthermore, one also has a habit of seeing any criticism of our belovéd leader in Bute House as anti-Scots bigotry, whilst waving it about when British Muslims are discussed.

I don't have a problem with being mocked on the Internet, although am grateful to t'other Orgers who've called this tactic for what it is - low personal morality. This message is just friendly advice:

... Open University is starting again soon. Sign up. Ewes will derive great satisfaction from expanding your knowledge and learning how to think, as opposed to what to think. Who knows, it may take these chips off your shoulders about those who have made the effort to improve their minds through study or background reading.

Now don't you be getting annoyed too much MM or I'll be forced to sit you down and make you have a cuppa to calm your nerves. Be good now and don't pay a bit o' notice.

I would not worry to much MM they will get over it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Melancholy Man View Post

... Open University is starting again soon. Sign up. Ewes will derive great satisfaction from expanding your knowledge and learning how to think, as opposed to what to think. Who knows, it may take these chips off your shoulders about those who have made the effort to improve their minds through study or background reading.
    I had at first decided not to feed your ego and reply to this irrelevant post. I am sure if you were chocolate that you would eat yourself. However you once again come out with a generalisation aimed at all persons who challenge your pseudo intellect.
    I am University educated but do not feel the need to boast to people that I have achieved a higher education.

I am sure you do not use the words you post in general conversation, so I do not see the reasoning behind using them on these boards.

"Ewes" - I did not think that female sheep could get a place at university, I'm sure there is a college at Woolwich.

I usually have salt and vinegar with my chips.

YAWN! this thread bores me already and will be ignoring this egotistical, bumptious tosh

*snip* triumvirate *snip*
    You have my admiration MM. I have never seen anyone manage to use that particular word in an internet post.

I am truly humbled and awed by your obviously superior intellect and lexical dexterity.
    Currently reading:- The tea leaves

Getting angry about Internet posts is silly, but thanks y'all. I'm looking at the white-horses on the edge of the Atlantic, sipping chamomile tea and about to go out for a cool-down after battling out to the Halladale turn on the bicycle.

And, right on cue, along comes an Orger who thinks he was being included in the triumvirate! What makes him think that?

It wisnae me.

And for those who dont have a particular high iq

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumvirate

Over the past couple of days, three separate Orgers have, apropos of nothing, seen fit to mock my prose and choice of words. Not actually to comment on my argument, but to praise ignorance over knowledge.

It's particularly rich as, I'm sure, at least one of this triumvirate of witlessness, semi-literacy and venom, this week, took the line that no dissent over moderation decisions is justified and that the forums aren't here as personal soapboxes. Furthermore, one also has a habit of seeing any criticism of our belovéd leader in Bute House as anti-Scots bigotry, whilst waving it about when British Muslims are discussed.

I don't have a problem with being mocked on the Internet, although am grateful to t'other Orgers who've called this tactic for what it is - low personal morality. This message is just friendly advice:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahha ahaha haha.

Why use the word apropos? Sorry, but WHY? How many people would use that word, ever? Why put an accent on the 'e' of beloved? Im not praising ignorance over knowledge, I just think the words you use min, cheez oh! Why, why, why, who speaks like that!!!!! That's the words you use in essays, I should know, because you may think I am a numbskull, but im sorry, nobody speaks like that on a forum unless they really do want to, hate to say it, but show off! It's like you're using these words to make your arguments more valid, and giving them an air of pomposity, almost! If you want to make your arguments clear, then make them clear, make them easy to read! But thats only if you really are confident in what you say!

For your information, I got an A in Higher English, and also a B in my Advanced Higher History, and consider myself to be fairly intelligent. So yes, I read books, I know how to use the English language and how to spruce up my essays with fancy words, and even the odd bit of Latin here and there (oh yes you read correctly, Latin) but anyone who talks like that all the time...please. This isnt an exam.
    Last edited by Kenneth; 27-Sep-08 at 17:04.

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    And for those who dont have a particular high iq

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumvirate
    Having a large vocabulary is no measure of I.Q.

Quote Originally Posted by TBH View Post
    i know,just so everyone knows what triumvirate means

Quote Originally Posted by TBH View Post
    Do you want a piece of me?

Sorry but the use of beeg words just to put someone down shows a lack of intelegence if anything.

If you don't have the intelect to make your posts understandable by the majority then your beeg words may well go in the bin for all the use they are.

Jargon is fine in its place, bog standard, understandable words work for me in all other cases.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Do you want a piece of me?
    Who sir, me sir?

wouldnt worry about they will find somwthing else to moan about.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

Yes, you Bunter.

Very well. Where have I done this?

Did I say you had done this???

Get over yoursen, not every part of every post is specifically aimed at you.

If , however, you think the cap fits, then have the decency to ask permission afore snatching it and sticking it on your head.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Default Use the language we have been given....

I for one am glad that someone uses the language of this country
    imaginatively. Why should we use unsophisticated words when flowery ones are far more appealing. I would rather someone do this than use Caithness twang in a post, which I am only now getting my head around. I do not mind Caithness "twang" as spoken dialect but not written down. I love when people use words I do not know as it increases my vocabulary, which can only be a good thing. Otherwise we succumb to the "dumbing down" this country apears to be heading for.
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

Kenneth, I was not talking to you when you engaged full sarcasm mode. If you didn't understand a reference or word, you should have said so and I would have been happy to explain. When I use a specific word, it's to refer to a specific concept or idea. I no more feel a desire to use simpler words here than I do to not distinguish between salt and fresh water.

Get over yoursen, not every part of every post is specifically aimed at you.
    It was a perfectly civil question. Lest you've failed to notice, this thread is about me. More specifically, it's about Orgers mocking me because of my word-choice.

Did you think you were responding to another thread?

I like big words! One of the only reasons i still come on is to wonder what MM's big word of the day is!!! Personally I think he gets paid by Wikipedia to publish big words so people will visit their site!!

If you have a big WORD and know how to use it then fine,if you like little words then thats fine too!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast