Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: What were you on Dawkin's Scale of Belief

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a 1

2 10.53%
  • I'm a 2

0 0%
  • I'm a 3

0 0%
  • I'm a 4

0 0%
  • I'm a 5

0 0%
  • I'm a 6

6 31.58%
  • I'm a 7

2 10.53%
  • I didn't watch the film

9 47.37%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What did you think of the lecture?

Default What did you think of the lecture?

Please spend a quiet hour to watch this lecture and comment on it, I'd like to hear your views and how it might make you rethink on your life and beliefs.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...99495889928903
    Last edited by Rheghead; 18-Sep-08 at 01:25.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Is there an 8th option-I don't care. Sorry Rheghead, I gave up after 10 minutes. I got out of bed because I have a headache and came onto the org-I found it ideal to make me tired. I'm sure God,(if there is one), would understand.

I love this kinda thing

I voted 1 !!!!!!

What I find really interesting is that if there is no God, why does he bother everyone so much. If there is no God, so??? Why spend money trying to disprove him, why have a lecture circuit devoted to some bloke saying there is no God???
    To me, another proof that there is a God, or else he would be just laughed off like a fairy tale, but no, everyone (almost) gets on the bandwagon and debates and reasons and argues.

Psam 14 : 1

I listened to the lecture, and this is what I think;

" A person (Me) with an experience is not subject to a person (Anyone) with an opinion."

I have an experience, many actually, and this man has an opinion. In my opinion.
    She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Lolabelle View Post
    What I find really interesting is that if there is no God, why does he bother everyone so much. If there is no God, so??? Why spend money trying to disprove him, why have a lecture circuit devoted to some bloke saying there is no God???
    Simply because there are so many who are indoctrinated at an early age into believing, and understandably have unanswered questions that need to be resolved.

To me, another proof that there is a God, or else he would be just laughed off like a fairy tale, but no, everyone (almost) gets on the bandwagon and debates and reasons and argues.

Psam 14 : 1
    Religion, and God, is already laughed off like a fairy tale. Why? Because the whole idea of religion and creationism and heaven and hell is based on nothing more than writings in a fictional book. A book that has been rewritten countless times over the centuries too.

I listened to the lecture, and this is what I think;

" A person (Me) with an experience is not subject to a person (Anyone) with an opinion."

I have an experience, many actually, and this man has an opinion. In my opinion.
    In my opinion, my lack of an experience proves your opinion worthless to me.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

PS, I don't mind if you think what I believe is a fairy tale, I don't think it is, but if it were, it gives me and many others a lot of pleasure and peace, so for me that is good enough.
    But one day, one way or another, we shall know. Even though we both think we know now.
    Last edited by Lolabelle; 18-Sep-08 at 10:03. Reason: Removing mistaken identity blunder :-)
    She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. Mark Twain

Er, Lolabelle...I think you should be shooting Metalattak...not Rheggers

Why spend money trying to disprove him, why have a lecture circuit devoted to some bloke saying there is no God???
    That is an interesting thing to say when millions of people spend millions more on a Sunday to hear someone say the complete opposite so what is the point?

Excellent talk. I wish I had been there. Thank you for sharing it, Rheghead.

As for the question as to why spend money disproving god or not listening to other points of view, I would point out that there was no attempt to indoctrinate by this lecturer. You are invited to think about religion, discuss it, argue over it and defend your position/belief. If a person is not allowed to have that discussion because their religion/belief/faith prohibit it then, for me, it has no respect for those that choose to follow it and no faith in it's own arguments, therby rendering it (that religion) futile.

And as was said in the lecture, just because we don't understand something, does not disprove science nor prove (or disprove) God.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

i did not vote. No-one will ever get me to believe in god and i cant change my beliefs because of one mans theory.

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    Er, Lolabelle...I think you should be shooting Metalattak...not Rheggers

Whoops

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    That is an interesting thing to say when millions of people spend millions more on a Sunday to hear someone say the complete opposite so what is the point?

I'm very sorry, didn't look properly, obviously!

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    i did not vote. No-one will ever get me to believe in god and i cant change my beliefs because of one mans theory.
    Who's theory exactly? Did you watch the video?

I'm very sorry, didn't look properly, obviously!
    Can you look a bit more properly and can you quote a bit from the lecture which you don't agree with and we can discuss it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lolbelle
    Actually, I don't think he has an opinion as opinions are not falsifiable. It is people who have Faith that have the opinion as Faith is not falsifiable.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 18-Sep-08 at 11:13.

Missed it, but then I've read RD's 'The God Delusion' although did not need to, made me mind up many moons ago.. often wonder why folks 'need' a 'God' - If I was brought up in Pakistan I'd most likely believe in Islam, of if born into another country; Buddhism, or Hinduism but being born into a western culture it was Christianity - but came to my own conclusion by personal experience..
    Out of interest wonder how many Christians know that Jesus had four brothers and two sisters; (Google it) just think; there must or most likely be a genetic line somewhere from Jesus? Hmmm now there's thought.

Is there nothing that is intelligently designed through evolution or does it just happen like a hurricane blowing through a scrapyard creating a 747 by chance.

Attacking a caricature or false description of something you oppose, and then claiming victory when you refute it. For example, a common creationist argument is to claim that the process of evolution is like a hurricane blowing through a scrapyard and spontaneously building a Boeing 747. The speaker would then go on to show how impossible and absurd this is to demonstrate that evolution is false. However, evolution does not work at all like that, so the speaker is attacking and defeating a strawman, but the impression given is that the original target has been destroyed.
    http://www.abarnett.demon.co.uk/atheism/dictionary.html

I wasn't saying it was like a hurricane in a scrapyard I was asking if it was?

Quote Originally Posted by TBH View Post
    I wasn't saying it was like a hurricane in a scrapyard I was asking if it was?
    So if a Boeing 747 can't really be made by a hurricane going through a scrapyard then we can only reason that life didn't occur by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    So if a Boeing 747 can't really be made by a hurricane going through a scrapyard then we can only reason that life didn't occur by chance?
    It was chance, it could easily have created a boeing 767 instead. Is natural selection an intelligent design?

Quote Originally Posted by TBH View Post
    It was chance, it could easily have created a boeing 767 instead. Is natural selection an intelligent design?
    Then how come there aren't naturally occuring 747s if it is easily done? I thought these things are supposed to be slim probabilities?

There is nothing intelligent or chance about natural selection. If it was then life would be Utopic.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 18-Sep-08 at 17:00.

Default dawkins

Note the artful beginning to his speech.
    He separates out poetry, a sense of beauty, human love - everything that informs modern theology and philosophy and announces that he is not going to discuss these things. They are part of poetic physics he says. (Looks a lot like a religion to me!)
    Instead he will create a straw man and huff and puff at it instead.
    The thing that depresses me is the thunderous applause from his audience.
    Perhaps they know something I dont....
    Richard Sutherland

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast