Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Rector for WHS

Exclamation New Rector for WHS

So, the high school will soon be getting a new rector. What are the qualities that the local community feel a rector should have?
    Remember, this person will have a large effect on many children's lives and will also influence the whole community.
    So, what do YOU think?
    DW

Well I certainly wouldn't want to be him (or her) when you hear the goings on in the High School these days. It's an uphill struggle and the stress levels must be huge.

Teachers just don't have the power to disipline like they used to and the kids know this. They know what rights they have and use it to their advantage.

Of course, it's probably only 5% of the kids that cause 95% of the trouble but without being able to disipline these 5% and bring them into line, the rest get their education disturbed. A thankless task nowadays although the holidays are good.

Good luck to whoever gets the job!
    Doolally

Thumbs up

Surely it is up to the parents to support the teachers as untimately it is their children who will benefit.
    I agree that it is probably a very small minority of pupils who cause the trouble. The school obviously has a large majority of pupils who generally behave and get on with their work;however their parents need to make far more noise about the disruptive kids who are spoiling it for the rest.
    I heard that the new head in Thurso is going to have a big push for school uniform and that is the kind of thing that really needs the parents' support.
    DW

Hope the school uniform comes in in Wick.They have been pussy-footing around too long hinting that they might take it in, impose it and thats it.

So how do they go about 'imposing it' then.
    I believe that they can't even get kids to take pens or pencils.

As you said its up to the parents to support the teachers.

I think school uniform is essential.
    I had, and my kids had it. For a start it stops the usual fashion victims making the less affluent kids feel hard done by.
    It also helps instill a team ethic.

Whenever I see a non-uniformed school emptying out the kids just look like a rag-rag hotch potch going nowhere in particular.

Uniform is a kind of cohesive factor and a badge of identity/belonging.
    I'm all for it.

where we are in lincs theres not one school without a uniform. I think its alot better for the kids and parents. if some one say comes from a poorer family and goes to school in everyday clothes, the other kids know whos well of and whos not ie designer lables and very expensive trainers, which in turn causes kids to pick on the less fortunate, its life. All dressed the same, theres one less problem to deal with in school as no one is different.

I agree with the concept of uniform; I know all the reasons about why it's a good thing.
    However, in Scotland the school (I believe) has no power in law to insist upon school uniform. Wick High School has made a number of attempts over the last 25 years to introduce school uniform and has yet to gain real support beyond the first year pupils.
    In fact, they currently have a push on with affordable school clothing ( including even, a hoodie).

So, how do we make it stick?

Its not much of a push. When we were at the parents evening the stuff was set out and there was a mention in a newsletter.
    Kids aren't going to wear the clothes if it makes them stand out.
    They are used to wearing school uniform when they arrive from primary school, it should be continued.

It's all very well to say it should be continued but HOW?
    The parents have to want it!!
    The parents have to insist that their little darlings wear it!!
    The parents nned to use their authority!!

Maybe we could build changing rooms and the teachers could make sure every kid changed before they were allowed in to school eh?

Default Uniforms

When I was in Japan, all the kids wore there uniforms with pride, you would be odd if you did'nt have one. I think that uniforms should be introduced and pupils should be excluded if they do not wear them or if they do not have pencils or pens with them and that parents should be held responcable, if the kids don't play ball then they need ASBO orders and classes to explain to them that it is dificult to buy nice things in later life if you cant get a good job as you have convictions... we need to instill disipline and respect back into our society from a young age. And bring back the belt.
    Live the Life

You see, this is the problem.

We suspect that school uniform is a good idea ( although many countries with excellent educational systems have never had school uniform).

Apart from the flog 'em and hang 'em brigade there is no way to get the uniforms on the kids backs without the parents' support.

So, how is the new rector of WHS going to do it. He/she will be unable to send them home for breaching a rule that has no standing in law.

Without changes in attitude (probably mainly the parents) and changes in the way unrulely pupils are handled not a lot will change. As usual a few spoil things for the majority.
    Am i right in saying that if a child get excluded that the local authority still have a duty to educate them,at great expence to the tax payer as it could be on a 1 to 1 basis?

DW what is your point?
    As a parent I have never been asked about my veiws on uniforms.
    As I said before the school has hinted that they would like to bring it in but they haven't asked anyone.
    You seem to be implying that they have asked and haven't got any backing.

Thumbs up

I think that a pupil can be excluded on a temporary basis but otherwise the Authority does have a mandatory duty to provide an education. This generally means employing a teacher on a 1 to 1 basis although the pupils could be sent to another school - tricky when there are only 2 secondary schools in Caithness.
    Unfortunately, most people have a concept of school that hasn't changed since they left, whereas schools are undergoing rapid change especially in their reflection of society and society's values ( or lack of them).
    The only way things can change is for the school and the parents to work together - loud and proud!

I would love school uniform to be reintroduced I dont have a problem my kids they will still wear anything that I buy them its simple they either wear it or go without clothes(a dragon of a mother I am) .The new rector would have my full support if he/she decided to go ahead with it.

The school conducted a survey by sending questionnaires to parents within the last 2-3 years.
    The school received little to no support from parents.

Before my kids time. Why run a survey if they want uniforms tell everyone before the school term starts and they have bought clothes.
    The education authority doesn't ask our opinions on everything that happens at the school.

Every pupil who is coming to Wick High is given a prospectus; in there are details of the school uniform for every parent to read.

I don't think we can expect the school to make it any clearer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast