Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: name needed

Question name needed

who can help? In the 50/60's (in Wick) there was a man called Alex Matheson who had a horse and cart business. What I am looking for is the name of the horse??!!
    Any help would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by dirdyweeker
    who can help? In the 50/60's (in Wick) there was a man called Alex Matheson who had a horse and cart business. What I am looking for is the name of the horse??!!
    Any help would be great.
    as far as I can remember her name is Polly.
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

thanks.........do you remember Alex and his horse and cart?

Quote Originally Posted by dirdyweeker
    thanks.........do you remember Alex and his horse and cart?
    I dont remember much..just that he did deliverys from the mart and maybe coal, any small flittings. He had a store at the top of barrogill street,where he kept Polly, who was a black and white clydesdale. I hope that helps a bit. In fact I believe there is a picture of them in the latest Caithness book, sorry I dont know the name of the book.

I racked a few old brains to find out about Alex'ie Matt as he was known he lived at the top of Albert Street and done various moving jobs with the horse and cart as well as rag and bone , now the last horse he had was a clydesdale horse, black with a white maine and his name was Dick.

Why are you asking anyway dirdyweeker?
    Last edited by Chillie; 06-Jan-06 at 18:27.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Chillie
    I racked a few old brains to find out about Alex'ie Matt as he was known he lived at the top of Albert Street and done various moving jobs with the horse and cart as well as rag and bone , now the last horse he had was a clydesdale horse, black with a white maine and his name was Dick.

Why are you asking anyway dirdyweeker?
    Sorry Chillie it seems I dont really remember much at all. Perhaps you are slightly older than I am..lol

I was telling my mither and father about this post and my dad told me that alex used to say to the horse ever night . ( if you live to morning you get your corn but if you dont you none ) He thinks the horse name was dumty and it was all black and the stable were in ruthered street at the top miller yard at the bottom and he lived in house at the top of albert street were dosser bain live now .

I don't know much about this...guess i'm not that old then there is a yard in rutherford street, i remember in the early 80's a woman kept her horse in there amoung many other animals.

yes my sister once rode on his horse and cart. He definately kept the horse in Rutherford Street and I have seen plenty photos of them both but just wondered for a quiz answer what the horses name was. Somehow from the old grey matter still deep within my brain cells 'Polly' sounds the most familiar. Mind you he probably replaced Polly eventually. I certainly remember them both well but not the horses name!

Quote Originally Posted by a.smith
    I don't know much about this...guess i'm not that old then there is a yard in rutherford street, i remember in the early 80's a woman kept her horse in there amoung many other animals.
    Was that the same women that had her horses up beside the south school and she lived in the house a cross the road next to the garage ?

Quote Originally Posted by ice box
    Was that the same women that had her horses up beside the south school and she lived in the house a cross the road next to the garage ?
    yes..................lol

Quote Originally Posted by a.smith
    yes..................lol
    Now she had some pets lol

Now she had some pets lol

aye, about 100 of early living animal...

Default polly

Quote Originally Posted by connieb19
    as far as I can remember her name is Polly.
    You could be right connie i have heard about alex and polly sounds familiar.
    I think he had 3 horses not all at once mind you.

Smile

yes that was her, and she used to ride her horse down the street, does anyone remember that!!!
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

I remember her riding around town on her horse, the horse was borrowed one evening by a man who was later arrested for being drunk whilst riding the horse along bridge street.lol does anyone remember this being in the local paper?

Quote Originally Posted by pooh pooh
    I remember her riding around town on her horse, the horse was borrowed one evening by a man who was later arrested for being drunk whilst riding the horse along bridge street.lol does anyone remember this being in the local paper?
    How long ago you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by connieb19
    How long ago you talking about?
    late 1980's i think

Quote Originally Posted by pooh pooh
    late 1980's i think
    I don't remember that. I'm trying to think of this women. I think i might know her, is she still on the go?

She also had a donkey and loads of hamster. and that in my old house in old wick road we had rats in the back garden and we found out that rats came because she had the horses tied in the garage at the side of her house and the horse dung miding beside them all neighbour were complaining i think she is in lyth now .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast