Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sharia law has been adopted in Britain

Default Sharia law has been adopted in Britain

I think this is total madness, how can we have two sets of laws? Do we get to choose?

So much for integration and social cohesion, eh?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4749183.ece
    Last edited by Rheghead; 15-Sep-08 at 11:08.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I think this is total madness, how can we have two sets of laws? Do we get to choose?
    I'll hang fire for the moment, but this appears to be following existing arbitration legislation. Muslims will not be *obliged* to submit themselves to it, although I am concerned about the disempowered, especially women feeling pressured. Those claiming that, because it ain't criminal Sharia, we have no reason to worry are either missing the point or showing their contempt for Muslims in general, and women in particular.

Oh, it's only going to be family and financial and domestic issues! You mean, everywhere in which women are disadvantaged?

Also, good to see that silky-voiced reactionary, Inayat Bungie-thingie, judging it all in terms of what the Jews do. Gimp. So is Rowan Williams. Have they got a real Christian for the job?

First off, I didn't read the story because I heard plenty about it a couple of months ago on TV & Jeremy Vines Radio 2 show.

The only laws which should apply here are the ones we already have in place. Battles were fought to rule this country for hundreds of years until we finally united 300 years ago. Whether you agree with certain laws is another matter but we, as a (supposedly) civilized society, have a system in place that for the most part does work.

We should not be allowing any religion and/or culture which we've welcomed into the UK from setting it's own laws. The whole point of them coming here is for a better way of life and part of that is an acceptance of our laws and culture. Our laws have faults but everyone is equal in the eyes of the law. No-one is a second class citizen.

It shows a blatant disrespect for our way of life if they haven't fully integrated into our society and it's rules. We can't have two different types of law here-if we allow it to happen then others will want to follow suit. In time we'll see other religions wanting to apply their laws too and eventually society itself will break down.

We cannot and must not allow Sharia law to apply in this country.

Default Scots Law?

As Scots law is almost entirely separate from English law is Sharia law applicable here? Just wondering?
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

Quote Originally Posted by mccaugm View Post
    As Scots law is almost entirely separate from English law is Sharia law applicable here? Just wondering?
    The report says a sharia court is being set up in Glasgow, so I guess yes.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Not related directly (although "almost entirely" is a bit of an overstatement, a murder is a murder wherever it's committed), the status of Scots Law against that of England and Wales, and Northern Ireland is *not* comparable. These are represent a corpus of both criminal and civil legislation, and most importantly apply according to geographic location. A Scotsman in England is subject to those laws, and vice versa.

It is *not* communalist.

Everywhere we look here in Spain we ( as in foriengers) read about it being best we try to intigrate, we should intigrate because we are living here, we should live by their laws /culture etc etc

jixville I totally agree with your statement ... It shows a blatant disrespect for our way of life if they haven't fully integrated into our society and it's rules. We can't have two different types of law here-if we allow it to happen then others will want to follow suit.
    Images of Spain can be seen at valspages.com

absolutely agree with joxville. when are the powers that be going to say enough is enough. If you want to live here fine - but we are not going to bend over backwards to accommodate you.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by joxville View Post
    First off, I didn't read the story because I heard plenty about it a couple of months ago on TV & Jeremy Vines Radio 2 show.

The only laws which should apply here are the ones we already have in place. Battles were fought to rule this country for hundreds of years until we finally united 300 years ago. Whether you agree with certain laws is another matter but we, as a (supposedly) civilized society, have a system in place that for the most part does work.

We should not be allowing any religion and/or culture which we've welcomed into the UK from setting it's own laws. The whole point of them coming here is for a better way of life and part of that is an acceptance of our laws and culture. Our laws have faults but everyone is equal in the eyes of the law. No-one is a second class citizen.

It shows a blatant disrespect for our way of life if they haven't fully integrated into our society and it's rules. We can't have two different types of law here-if we allow it to happen then others will want to follow suit. In time we'll see other religions wanting to apply their laws too and eventually society itself will break down.

We cannot and must not allow Sharia law to apply in this country.

kinda go with this view also......
    it's a sair fecht

Default When in Rome

Quote Originally Posted by jings00 View Post
    kinda go with this view also......
    (Jeremy Vines show)

Have to say so do I, the girl in Saudi who was caught supposedly having sex on a beach in a country where sex before marriage is illegal has to follow theire judicial system so why should we bend over backwards to accomodate rules that do not apply in this country. Muslims etc choose our country so why should they have options when it comes to the law, the rest of us do not.
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

(Jeremy Vines show)

Have to say so do I, the girl in Saudi who was caught supposedly having sex on a beach in a country where sex before marriage is illegal has to follow theire judicial system so why should we bend over backwards to accomodate rules that do not apply in this country. Muslims etc choose our country so why should they have options when it comes to the law, the rest of us do not.
    It was in UAE, not Saudi and her and her "partner" deserve all they get. IMHO having sex in the middle of the afternoon on a populated beach ANYWHERE is unacceptable.
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

(Jeremy Vines show)

Have to say so do I, the girl in Saudi who was caught supposedly having sex on a beach in a country where sex before marriage is illegal has to follow theire judicial system so why should we bend over backwards to accomodate rules that do not apply in this country.
    It was actually Dubai, she'd previously been given a ticking off for the ol' display of affection (when a non-Westerner would have been arrested) and sex in public places is an offence in this country as well. Other than that, spot on!

Taken from The Sun:

“I was passing Jumeirah Beach when I was stopped by a couple of people who told me, ‘There’s a guy and a girl having sex.’ I took a torch and went to check it out."
    So I would have.

Muslims etc choose our country so why should they have options when it comes to the law, the rest of us do not.
    You want to be subject to Sharia civil courts? You strange person.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by scotsboy View Post
    It was in UAE, not Saudi and her and her "partner" deserve all they get. IMHO having sex in the middle of the afternoon on a populated beach ANYWHERE is unacceptable.
    I did not say I agreed with her "crime" more that she had to follow the rules of the country she resides in. Where when Sharia law starts being brought in its then different rules for different sections of society. I think this is wrong, the BNP will have a field day which is something I for one do not want. I am not racist but I believe that when in Rome etc....

I did not say I agreed with her "crime" more
    It was a crime. It's called gross indecency and, even if punishable by a lesser sentence in this country, also a crime here. From what I've seen, the policeman was *still* willing to let them off, but she proceeded to berate and assault him.

Little native, daring to tell a whitey what to do, eh? Whoopsie.

that she had to follow the rules of the country she resides in.
    And British Muslims remain subject to criminal law and secular civil law, as well as having the option not to enter into these courts. I am uneasy about the potential for decisions being binding, and handing more control to patriarchal control, but desist with the claim this is setting up a communalist system.

I think this is wrong, the BNP will have a field day
    Being a bunch of racists and convicted thugs, drug dealers and sex offenders, the BNP really doesn't need a reason to target any group.

Its another one of those "lets bend over backwards and give them what they want".
    So what happens if someone then decides they wish to be Jedi and will only accept the rules of the galaxy!! why not?.
    I'm all for interrogation oops I mean integration but lets be fair here this isnt right, how can it be deemed fair, the women will never get a chance because in sharia law they are nobodies, so how can a so-called liberal free thinking country of ours accept that?. Not very PC is it!
    Stinks of double standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Melancholy Man View Post
    It was actually Dubai, she'd previously been given a ticking off for the ol' display of affection (when a non-Westerner would have been arrested) and sex in public places is an offence in this country as well. Other than that, spot on!
    Just wondering:-

Concerning Ramadan, The Sun says:-

"It is the holiest month in the Muslim calendar — and followers are asked to refrain from thinking about or having sex during daylight hours"

The quote made later was:-

“I was passing Jumeirah Beach when I was stopped by a couple of people who told me, ‘There’s a guy and a girl having sex.’ I took a torch and went to check it out."

Now, if they were having sex during daylight hours, why did the guy need a torch?

I think that, if a couple were having sex on the beach, in the dark, and I felt the need to get a torch and go check it out, I'd be labelled a dirty perv!!

I cannot see what the problem is, all citizens are subject to the same legislature,whether it be Scots or English law.
    We have recourse to various forms of arbitration rather than using the judicial system and from what I have read these will be dealing with sensitive personal civilian disputes.The jewish community has a similar dispensation and I don't see any one getting het up about that.
    We are all hot on being a multi-racial society so why are so many unable to accept that in certain matters this is far more appropriate.
    No one is advocating full Sharia Law merely acknowledging that the practice of a faith other than the christian one can often cause serious problems within the system which can be incomphrehensible at it's worse and downright right stupid at it's best.

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    I cannot see what the problem is, all citizens are subject to the same legislature,whether it be Scots or English law.
    We have recourse to various forms of arbitration rather than using the judicial system and from what I have read these will be dealing with sensitive personal civilian disputes.The jewish community has a similar dispensation and I don't see any one getting het up about that.
    We are all hot on being a multi-racial society so why are so many unable to accept that in certain matters this is far more appropriate.
    No one is advocating full Sharia Law merely acknowledging that the practice of a faith other than the christian one can often cause serious problems within the system which can be incomphrehensible at it's worse and downright right stupid at it's best.
    But Jews treat women more equally than the Muslim faith,which I think is the biggest stumbling block.

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    ...We are all hot on being a multi-racial society.... .
    Speak for yourself. I'm one of thse that's living on the edge of it although I didn't vote for it, ask for it, invite it....and least of all wanted it. I was happy with the Britain of the early sixties thanks very much...some other races sure, all added to the variety of life but what we have now is entirely different.

I might even get the odd brave orger to agree with me publicly, but I doubt it.

What we have largely is a collection of groups living
    parallel lives most of whom want little to do with any of the others. Now we have parallel laws too. Smashing!

Nobody can say we didn't see it coming but the speed of advance of such concessions given by out of touch
    twerps in Westminster is staggering.

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod4 View Post
    But Jews treat women more equally than the Muslim faith,which I think is the biggest stumbling block.
    How can you treat something "more" equally?
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast