Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Here we go again-council strike

Angry Here we go again-council strike

just read on the text that the next strike date is going to be wednesday the 24th of september, why do they keep insisting on a wednesday, after all we pay the council tax the same as everyone else, yet we seem to be the only ones to suffer like this(the people their rubbish picked on a wednesday), we have just got rid of all the extra bags that we were left with last time, surely we should be due some money back for this after all isnt this part of why we pay council tax.

Default strike

Quote Originally Posted by balto View Post
    just read on the text that the next strike date is going to be wednesday the 24th of september, why do they keep insisting on a wednesday, after all we pay the council tax the same as everyone else, yet we seem to be the only ones to suffer like this(the people their rubbish picked on a wednesday), we have just got rid of all the extra bags that we were left with last time, surely we should be due some money back for this after all isnt this part of why we pay council tax.
    for no rep try sunday. god knows butb is not telling.

It a good day to have it on, breaks up the week.
    Even if we find the light it will be surround by shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by Welcomefamily View Post
    It a good day to have it on, breaks up the week.
    Got to agree with you about breaking up the week, but I much prefered a Friday Strike, that gave you a nice long weekend.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

it could be that bin men having read last thread on org,about the number of people upset about Wednesdays strike think it would upset householders to complain more,

Fantastic stuff, if it helps these workers attain a living wage then all power to them.

These strikes are getting worse and I sympathise with you Balto. It does look like they are out to get you!. Why cant people get a rebate on their council tax if the council fail to provide a service? That is what its for isnt it.If you dont turn up for work you dont get paid so the powers that be should at least arrange an extra pick up, or we may end up like the streets of Glasgow many years ago!!

They are well within their rights to go on strike. Obviously it will cause disruption, otherwise what would be the point in striking?

Why cant they do a "pretend" strike?
    With everything being so PC nowadays at least if they "pretend" to strike no-one will get hurt

I am with TBH on this one - the whole point of striking is disruption! Have you asked the council for a reply re gettin yer bins emptied?

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod4 View Post
    These strikes are getting worse and I sympathise with you Balto. It does look like they are out to get you!. Why cant people get a rebate on their council tax if the council fail to provide a service? That is what its for isnt it.If you dont turn up for work you dont get paid so the powers that be should at least arrange an extra pick up, or we may end up like the streets of Glasgow many years ago!!

If they arranged an extra pick up then that would defeat the purpose of striking in the first place lol

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
    If they arranged an extra pick up then that would defeat the purpose of striking in the first place lol
    I know but it sounded good when I typed it, but once i read it I thought Numpie!!!!!

A strike is just one of the tools the unions use to acheive their goal
    ie a Living wage for its members. they use all the other tools in their box before using the last resort(strike) only through this action can they bring their case to the public. By causing us disturbance and problems are our actions with the council to put pressure on the to achive a suitable agreement. Remember if you were doing a underpaid job you would want to do all you could to get more money or better conditions.
    so whilst it is a pain We have to support these people no one else is.
    Live and let live
    Life is too short

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Manners View Post
    A strike is just one of the tools the unions use to acheive their goal
    ie a Living wage for its members. they use all the other tools in their box before using the last resort(strike) only through this action can they bring their case to the public. By causing us disturbance and problems are our actions with the council to put pressure on the to achive a suitable agreement. Remember if you were doing a underpaid job you would want to do all you could to get more money or better conditions.
    so whilst it is a pain We have to support these people no one else is.
    Excellent point made there, these people need a living wage the same as anyone else, let's hope they get it.

What some should remember is that no one wants to strike, after all its costs them a days pay each day the strike is on and they are already on a low enough wage as it is, Some of them even live in the area's affected by the strike so they dont get their rubbish lifted either, so why dont all you folk who moan about your bins not being emptied stop and think of them aswell, they only work for the council they dont make the rules more's the pity.

There will be plenty shouting to get the migrants in to do the job at a lower rate, I am sure the council would love to implement this but, would those people be willing to give up their own jobs to let a migrant do it at a lower rate?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
    What some should remember is that no one wants to strike, after all its costs them a days pay each day the strike is on and they are already on a low enough wage as it is, Some of them even live in the area's affected by the strike so they dont get their rubbish lifted either, so why dont all you folk who moan about your bins not being emptied stop and think of them aswell, they only work for the council they dont make the rules more's the pity.
    Good on you Billy boy, for highlighting that the strikers lose wages and they pay council tax also , just like Balto, and that they also cannot get their bins emptied.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

I find it amazing that people will complain about the common worker striking for a decent wage yet they seem quiet when the higher managers get big pay raises most of which are higher than the cost of living.

I'm with Balto. If the unions lose public support then they are unlikely to prgrress their claim for better wages.

Far better to spread the effect by having the strikes on different days of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by gollach View Post
    I'm with Balto. If the unions lose public support then they are unlikely to prgrress their claim for better wages.

Far better to spread the effect by having the strikes on different days of the week.
    All members of the public should be supporting these worker.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast