Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Caithness Word

Default Caithness Word

Can anybody tell me what a "silkie" is - my daughter has this question in her homework.

Well, according to Caithness.org it's a seal
    Currently reading:- The tea leaves

Wee bit more than a seal. A selkie can turn from seal to human.
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

A selkie is a child that was left on the shore wrapped in a seal skin,some say she is half woman half seal others that she was a witch of some sort,there is an entry on wiki about it x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

A Selkie/Silkie is a fairy of the sea. They love to come to sing and dance in the moonlight. They take off their seal skin and hide it....for if it were to be found by someone, until they got it back, they could never return to the sea. There are many tales of Selkies within highland folklore.

one silkie, while she wis dancin under 'e moonlite got her skin stolen by a bad man

she wis in dispair when all her silkie buddies swam back off til sea an began til cry....

'e bad man took her in and she ended up marryin him an hevin a son.

however, tho content wi her son she was never happy as she mist her sea life an her pals. one day when 'e biygie wis 10 he wis oot fixin 'e roof. he came across 'e seal skin an took it doon til his mam and asked her aboot'ed.

when she seen 'e skin she wis overjoyed an all her memories came floodin back. she kissed her son on 'e foreheid an jumped intil 'e skin.

she swam off oot til sea an 'e biygie never seen her again

however, she came back every single nite an left a fishy on 'e beach for 'e bairn an his dad.

it wis left til 'e faither til explain what hed happened all 'at years ago....
    Last edited by trix; 03-Sep-08 at 18:44. Reason: spellin....
    Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
    Blessed Be...

there used to be a wee book called 'E' Silkie Man', or something like that. Lovely poem.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire2803 View Post
    Well, according to Caithness.org it's a seal
    In the same way that Moby Dick was a whale.

I remember part of the lyrics from a song with the lines "she is the Silkie of Dunnet Sands, far away on this our land."
    Unfortunately, when googled I find no trace of it. But, I do remember when younger being told it was fairy of the sea, half human and half seal.
    Good luck to your daughter in her homework.....and if anyone can locate the words to my song from yesteryear, great!
    Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.