Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Cervical Cancer Injections for Young Girls

Question Cervical Cancer Injections for Young Girls

just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this and if it is gonna be planned for up here aswell. Do we get a choise wether our kids get it or not..Or will it be given without parents consent.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7590712.stm

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this and if it is gonna be planned for up here aswell. Do we get a choise wether our kids get it or not..Or will it be given without parents consent.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7590712.stm
    I doubt anyone will be getting forcebly injected.

Girls will be "offered" the vaccine,but have the right to refuse if they so wish,but IMO its a great idea that can only help! x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

I agree with you, Thumper and teenybash. I lost a good friend very young to this form of cancer and I know lots of women who've had to undergo treatment at the pre cancerous stage. While smear tests have saved many lives, far too many women still die from this disease, and most women (myself included) find waiting for the test results quite an anxious time.

Contrary to what some people appear to think, contracting cervical cancer doesn't mean you're a promiscuous person and I don't believe innoculating girls against it will encourage them to become sexually active at a younger age.

I wish this vaccination had been available when my girls were in their teens. I'm sure it will not be 'compulsory' but I hope that parents will see it as protecting their daughters from a life threatening and very unpleasant disease.

It has been advertised everywhere for ages, thought every one knew about this.
    It explains what is happening here:
    "Pupils in other areas of Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland will follow in the coming weeks.

All girls aged between 12 and 17 should have been offered the vaccine by August next year."

Its a good idea after all protecting our children is our premium concern.
    My daughter will be getting it soon, she doesnt like needles but knows what its all about and agrees with it.

Thumbs up

I can’t imagine that any parent would refuse the chance for their daughter to be protected against this killer disease.

I lost my sister-in-law to cervical cancer – she really suffered for around two or three years, only able to come home very occasionally to be with her very young family.

LB

Even if parents don't want their daughters to get this, there is a law in place that allows the girl to go ahead and get immunised without parental consent, even if she's under 16 if the health care team believes she fully understands what the injection is all about. My girls are getting it. And I'll be making a GP appointment for them to get the BCG too, which is no longer given routinely.
    cape locum et fac vestigium

If I had young daughters, I would never agree to the injection.

my OH sufferd from this at an early age and like me wish this had been available then however now that it is available I would advise all to take part in the scheme it is a prevention so you have nothing to loose and all to gain a couple a needle pricks is a small price to pay to stay safe.
    Live and let live
    Life is too short

Quote Originally Posted by Lavenderblue2 View Post
    I can’t imagine that any parent would refuse the chance for their daughter to be protected against this killer disease.

I lost my sister-in-law to cervical cancer – she really suffered for around two or three years, only able to come home very occasionally to be with her very young family.

LB
    I can see both sides, for and against the vaccine. The parents who refuse the vaccine may well be concerned about the aluminum salts, part of the vaccine, being injected into their children - various studies have shown it's not a good idea, especially in the long term. Also the 'long term' study of safety is only two years so I can understand some parents feeling their children are being used as guinea pigs - who knows the real long term effect of the vaccine.

However, if anyone has known someone with this terrible disease the instinct of course is to try anything to protect their children going through the same.

I think it is a case of doing vast amounts of reasearch and then making an informed decision - let's face it the vaccine is worth a lot of money to the manufacturers so I'm not sure if we can trust the accompanying literature to be totally unbiased. The GP I'm sure will only pass on the information they have been given (I wouldn't think they do their own research) by the manufacturer and from trials funded by the manufacturer. The information will be out there but it's a case of weeding through all the irrelevant and biased stuff, both for and against.

Good luck with whatever decision you make - it's not easy being a parent eh?

scunner may i ask as to why you would not agree to it?
    i personally do not know all the ins and outs of it, but as long as it is safe and can save a young girls life i would def. have the injection if i could and if i had daughters i would be standing in line to hold their hands while they had it and support them all the way.
    http://itqueries.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Scunner View Post
    Would be interested in your views/ reasons as to why you would choose not to have any daughters vaccinated.
    Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

I have daughters, but they are not in that age group. I've memories of the drugs given to people and proved not to be so good in the following years.

why? ??????
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

Looking at the long term view - i'm an old wifie, and took HRT and have the scars to prove it - now am cautious about any new preventative measures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HPV

this is some info on what the injections are for. This is HPV a sexualy transmitted disease, that then lives in the body and may or may not cause other complications in a young female, likes of genital warts..Now it seems that this is being used as a preventative but children as young as 12 should not be getting anything like HPV, infact sexual conduct at that age is illegal.
    It can also be caught by touching objects that have HPV and then transmitted to the person.
    The fact of this is that up until recently i had not heard of any trials regarding this injection, also are there any side effects or are we just to put our children in their hands without fully understanding exactly what it is being given,
    My kids have had every injection that they should have as babies, pre-school and older ones like tb,but without more info of what happens when given this drug, over a 6 month period of 1 injection every 2 months, does make me wonder is it right or do i let my daughters decide for themseves if they want it,
    It is not compulsory to have this and the choice is there for them to decline, but with all the health issues of today more than likely most will have it done wthout realy understanding what theyare having it for. To kill off HPV to prevent cervical cancer is all they will know..

It apparently can effect males and females alike, causing penial cancer, testicular cancer, so why are the boys not being offered it aswell.

http://www.cancerbackup.org.uk/About...s/HPVandcancer
    Last edited by justine; 01-Sep-08 at 14:30.

If my daughter wanted to make the choice herself then so be it. Rather than read things off the internet, I would maybe arrange a visit to my GP that way they will get a more detailed description from them as opposed to the "horror stories" that can be found on the net. Researching the net is fan dabi dozi but on matters as serious as that I would defo consult my GP as they would give you a clearer view, but I would most certainly try and influence her into getting the injection,after all they wouldnt release it if it wasnt safe?

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod4 View Post
    If my daughter wanted to make the choice herself then so be it. Rather than read things off the internet, I would maybe arrange a visit to my GP that way they will get a more detailed description from them as opposed to the "horror stories" that can be found on the net. Researching the net is fan dabi dozi but on matters as serious as that I would defo consult my GP as they would give you a clearer view, but I would most certainly try and influence her into getting the injection,after all they wouldnt release it if it wasnt safe?
    They released Thalamine.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most GP's will not know much, and the internet. is not always wrong. Read this and this is the results of the clinical trials done by the london institute on women 16-25 who have already had a check and been found to have a strain of HPV.. Not 12.18 year olds that they intend to target.

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/359/8/861

Quote from the above link which is about the trials dated 21st August 2008.

"With so many essential questions still unanswered, there is good reason to be cautious about introducing large-scale vaccination programs. Instead, we should concentrate on finding more solid answers through research rather than base consequential and costly decisions on yet unproven assumptions"
    Last edited by justine; 01-Sep-08 at 14:58.

Cool Why deny them ?

Why, if something can help them would you deny your children the right to life? I cannot fathom why doctors/boffins whatever you call them spend years trying to come up with cures for people to say I am not going to take it. For your childrens sake take up the offer.
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    They released Thalamine.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most GP's will not know much, and the internet. is not always wrong. Read this and this is the results of the clinical trials done by the london institute on women 16-25 who have already had a check and been found to have a strain of HPV.. Not 12.18 year olds that they intend to target.

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/359/8/861

Quote from the above link which is about the trials dated 21st August 2008.

"With so many essential questions still unanswered, there is good reason to be cautious about introducing large-scale vaccination programs. Instead, we should concentrate on finding more solid answers through research rather than base consequential and costly decisions on yet unproven assumptions"
    Most GP's may not know but that article was written by a GP!!!!!

It doesnt mention what drug was used though on the tests and the majority of the sources used were in the US.

Below is from Cancer Research,who I would definitely believe.

From September 2008, in the UK, girls in year 8 at school (age 12 to 13yrs) will be offered the HPV vaccine. The vaccine the Government has chosen to use is Cervarix. Girls have three injections over 6 months given by a nurse. A letter about the vaccine and a consent form will be sent to the parents of the girl before she has the vaccine. It is up to her whether she has the vaccine.

This research means that if girls take up the vaccination the programme will prevent at least 7 out of 10 cancers of the cervix and possibly even more in the future. But it takes between 10 and 20 years for a cancer to develop after HPV infection. So any benefits in reducing cervical cancer won’t be seen for quite a long time. But the number of cases of pre-cancerous changes in the cervix (CIN) will fall quite rapidly.

It is not certain how long the vaccination gives protection for. So far the trials have followed people up for 6 years so we know that it lasts at least this long. More research is needed to find out how long it lasts and if women need a booster dose at some time.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast